Which speakers to join Creek CAS4040?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone!

After 20 years of reading hifi mags I finally bought one - a hi fi that is! though minus the speakers.

Could you recommend some speakers for me?

So I listen mainly to classical - all forms of it. I just bought an old creek CAS4040 and an old Trio turntable which has a newish Goldring cartridge (about £100 worth I was told). I listen to Radio3 via the internet listen again service. I don't have a DAC but I use various freeware to enhance the sound to great effect on some computer sub sat I have lent to me.

The basement room is about 3.5m by 4.5m, some walls more solid than others, floor carpeted, patio window covered with curtains. I can position the speakers anywhere I want, no issues with tidiness etc.

I'm flexible about the sound as long as it's together and musical. If possible excitement and mellow as appropriate for the recording being played. I like what I think remember being said about Rega systems that it's musical and there's not one thing i.e soundstage/ dynamics that captures your attention.

About the budget - I'd be buying used again on that online auction, was planning up to £100 but if it would really make a difference then up to £250. So a mix of suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would consider these: http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9867-wharfedale-diamond-91-speakers-pair-opened-box-black.aspx

BTW What model is your Trio TT and how old is it.....I had a KD 1033 many, many years ago.

A

Anonymous

It's a Trio KO-1500. Do you know anything about this specific model. Thanks for the 9.1 suggestion!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CreekyVinyl said:
About the budget - I'd be buying used again on that online auction, was planning up to £100 but if it would really make a difference then up to £250. So a mix of suggestions would be much appreciated.

A mint pair of Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Editions (hold out until some really good ones come along).

Creek and older (British made) Mordaunt Shorts of the 1980s and 1990s go very well together.

(And no - to all those people with a long memory - I am not making a pitch for my MS20i Pearl Editions :) )

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CreekyVinyl said:
It's a Trio KO-1500. Do you know anything about this specific model. Thanks for the 9.1 suggestion!

Sorry I don't....it was a lifetime ago, and I've not had a TT for the last 20 years.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Chebby! I've read some of your posts and I nearly bought a pair of MS20i Perls on Gale stands yesterday! but wasn't sure if they were just for rockers or expensive kit etc. I'll definitely keep an eye out for some more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts