Which speakers for Sugden A21SE?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Need a bit of advice. About to acquire a Sugden A21SE and Sony SACD (don't know which one but has upgraded chipset and power supply) and need some ideas as to suitable speakers. Listen to a little bit of everything and will eventually get round to purchasing a new TT to replace my Linn Sondek. Like bass, not too much bass, but not anaemic and not flappy, also don't want a brash top end but with a good sound stage. Floor standers or standmounts, I don't care but no separate subs please. As for budget, 800 to 1000 at a stretch and the clincher is I'm in New Zealand so it's a little difficult to get hold of some brands so all ideas gratefully accepted. I've been listening to an ipod through computer speakers for about 3 years now and it's starting to get too me!

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Don't know if this will be helpful, but I remember Sugden once recommended ProAc as partnering speakers for their Bijou series... Their choice then was the renowned miniature Response 1SC, but that is quite small and it exceeds your budget (GBP 1250). I reckon in your case it would have to be either the Studio 110 standmount (GBP 750) or the Studio 130 Standmount (GBP 1050) - that is if ProAc seems like an appealing solution to you...

Other obvious solutions would be the universally praised Ruark Sabre III standmount (whose slightly forward sound could be a good match for Sugden's refined presentation - at 900 pounds), B&W's standmount 705 (GBP 900) or ATC's SCM11 standmount (at around 850). These have good bass control and no brash top end. Also praised for their bass control were the big KEF floorstanders iQ9 (GBP 800). Maybe you can get an audition with any of the above...

Good luck with your search, and let us know what optimum solution you've found! :)

Razz

A

Anonymous

The ATC are a bit power hungry for the A21a to drive I'd have thought. Spendor or Pro-ac may proabably be your best bet. In fact I heard a A21a into some Spendor S6's (Linn Ikemi CD player) and it sounded gorgeous.

jules.

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I love sugden amplifcation, this might be a bit out of budget but I'd look at the ART Stilletto 6's. There 2K a pop but you can find ex-display for £1300, or cheaper on e-bay. Gorgeous combination with excellant build and high WAF factor (with magnetic dust covers too which are a nice touch). The Spendor range also good bet but I don't think are as special. Sorry really wouldn't bother with the Sony unless really commited to SACD. Save some more money & buy the matching Sugden SE21 Cd player. You won't be dissapointed.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the sugden cd/amp setup through Harbeth speakers.

I must admit they sounded nice. Only if you can live with the size of them. The retro look might not apeal to everyone's tast either.

They have a very natural/neutral sound.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have you auditioned a sugden? I dont want to put you off and perhaps you did hear and like it but to me the 21(SE) is one of the most pointless amplifiers I can think of (the other one is anything 'powered' by a 300B). Its gutless, has NO punch and sounds thin/glassy. Furthermore Its difficult to partner and can't drive even mildly difficult loads . The only saving grace I can think of is that is does'nt sound grainy whatsoever but then neither do a lot of its class a/b or D rivals some (most) of which are imminently more practical, cheaper and imo better.

I heard it with a small number of speakers so perhaps not an entirely fair representation of what it (21SE) can or can't do but they did include an 'ancient' pair of efficient Audio Notes which were traded in. I dont think 100% class A has a place or future in todays hifi.

If you do like it then TM's suggestion of LVoice is a good one if you want any excitment when listening to the Sugden.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
May I add that I am not familiar with Sugdens whole range of products so I am not denouncing the company in any way but I do wonder where their main markets are as I hardly ever hear or read of anyone using their products in the UK. Perhaps the Asian market is their biggest customer? I dont know but I admire their determination for sticking to their (Class A) guns but surely they too have to diversify/move with the times at some stage like say Naim, which seem to use the same power amplifier circuits for the last twenty years, then add an ipod input to the front and some rca's to the rear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts