Which speakers for £800?

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi all you audioholics!

Which speakers would you recommend me adding to my listening list for a maximum of £800? (I plan to buy them very very soon!)

I’ll use them to listen to all types of music genres (and some movies), using a Beresford Caiman DAC as the source, amplified by a Quad 33-303 set-up (to be modded/updated later in the year, budget allowing).

The “listening room” is in a wooden floor flat with an area of about 5.5m by 4m. Low ceiling and plenty of furniture… but will be moving to somewhere larger in the future (I hope!), so floorstanders are welcome!

Thanks a lot for your help!

B

Monitor Audio RX-6 seem to fit that bill perfectly. They are excellent with films, TV as well as music. Should also match Quad nicely.....
emotion-5.gif

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Plastic Penguin! I thought about them... need to go and have a listen. I was also thinking about the B&W 684, but since they've been around for some time I don't want to buy a model that will go off in a year's time or so! But anyway, if they sound good, who cares!

A

Anonymous

bernasmeister:I was also thinking about the B&W 684, but since they've been around for some time I don't want to buy a model that will go off in a year's time or so!

What happens to speakers that are a year or longer old?? Don't assume a neat line can be plotted on a graph showing speaker quality improving year on year. In fact numerous speakers which are 10, 20, 30 years old are appreciating in value (Some Shahinians, Quad statics, DC Tannoys etc).

Buy speakers you like the look, sound and price of without worrying about how long they've been out.

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Rob_manchester:

Buy speakers you like the look, sound and price of without worrying about how long they've been out.

That's very true! But just wary of the crazy promotions that go on after speakers being "discontinued"...

bernasmeister:Rob_manchester:

That's very true! But just wary of the crazy promotions that go on after speakers being "discontinued"...

Don't dismiss a product because it's a few years old. Go and have a listen to two or three different speakers with your system, and try arrange a home demo for the favourite.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I keep hearing good things about the Rega RS3 floorstanders, they're quite small, relatively good looking, they were only introduced fairly recently and best of all I've seen them for about £685 on t'internet! An absolute bargain if you ask me.

A

Anonymous

spendor S5E ... still under guarantee till 2013 ... buy it now of £800 or bid with a start price of £500

Vienna Acoustics Haydn ... £699 buy it now ... ex demo ... RRP = £1298 ...

have not heard these, and this is merely an indication of what savings can be achieved when you take the 2nd hand route

A

Anonymous

The Quad 303 doesn't have a lot of oomph in terms of Watts or current delivery. I'd be looking for something fairly sensitive and easy to drive. The Rega RS3 would probably fit the bill nicely.

bernasmeister:

Hi all you audioholics!

Which speakers would you recommend me adding to my listening list for a maximum of £800? (I plan to buy them very very soon!)

I'll use them to listen to all types of music genres (and some movies), using a Beresford Caiman DAC as the source, amplified by a Quad 33-303 set-up (to be modded/updated later in the year, budget allowing).

The "listening room" is in a wooden floor flat with an area of about 5.5m by 4m. Low ceiling and plenty of furniture. but will be moving to somewhere larger in the future (I hope!), so floorstanders are welcome!

Thanks a lot for your help!

B

Hi bernasmeister

I too will recommend Monitor Audio's RX6 speakers. They should work well with your Quad amps.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Another vote for the rega RS3's here. when I was demoing these were the most natural and tonally neutral speakers to listen to. Nothing in its price bracket even came close IMO, they were only bettered by £1000+ speakers.

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Guys, thanks a lot for all the good info!

I didn't think about the Rega: will investigate! (the side firing driver is a bit of a concern regarding positioning, I guess...) Regarding the second hand route, the Spendor is at a fantastic price and looks fairly new but would rather buy from a dealer...

So, so far it's the RX6, the Rega RS3 and the 684s!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts