Which speaker for a 2.0 hi-fi system? [KEF or B&W]

ReneUhlver

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody!

First, Happy 2013 for everybody!!
smiley-laughing.gif

I've being reading tons of reviews from many different websites, I need to highlight my special affection for "What Hi-Fi" between them all!

My topic regards the system I want to build, it's a 2.0 one.

I think I'm pretty sure about the integrated amp to use, ROTEL RA-12, but the speakers kinda gave me doubts.

A pair of "KEF LS50" or a used pair of "B&W 705"? I think the budget is pretty much the same, isnt it?

If somebody could help with the answer... I'm looking for a "versatile" system, to use my PC on it to record-edit music, listen to FLAC files (cd's in near future), watch movies and play games though PC and PS3.. I'd like to have realiable and deep bass, so I don't really feel the need for a subwoofer, for that, I don't know if the RA-12's power would be enough to run the speakers, I mean if the speakers are too heavy for it. (the mid and high, any of these speakers Im sure they compete)

If also anybody has an important observation that I might havent realised, would be very appreciated!

Thank You!

manicm

For what it's worth Rotel and B&W speakers have always worked well together, and the RA-12's 70w should be ample to drive the LS50 and 705. But, do not overlook the B&W 685s - to my mind they should really sing and swing with the RA-12, and you'll save a significant amount of quid too.

ReneUhlver

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, Manicm!
It was very helpful, but I forgot to answer you back :)
You were completely right about the overbudget I'd spend, B&W 685s are great and have nice sound!
I felt in love for the KEF's Q300, I found them more pleasant on the high's, and on the bass I loved how they are room-filling and smoooooth.... for my ROTEL RA-12, the highs were too much for my ears, so, in my opinion, KEF's Q300 sounded quite more mature in therms of music.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have heard the Kefs with Audiolab 8200A and Musical Fidelity M3i and I would have thought that the Rotel RA12 would not be good enough but you can try them, it is not just power but control. Kefs need a good amp and a bit of power to get going. Have you heard the Rotel RA12? Think it needs careful partnering. How large is your room?

ReneUhlver

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I have heard the Kefs with Audiolab 8200A and Musical Fidelity M3i and I would have thought that the Rotel RA12 would not be good enough but you can try them, it is not just power but control. Kefs need a good amp and a bit of power to get going. Have you heard the Rotel RA12? Think it needs careful partnering. How large is your room?

Yes, I head ROTEL RA-12 and that's why I got it, I felt it has property to run the KEF's (in my opinion it was better matched than with LS50s! for the price it DOESN'T justify!)

My room is around 30m³, I think even in the audition room with 40m³ it sounded so good and mature!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts