Which receiver to choose when stereo sound is as important as multichannel sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I'm new at this forum, but I'm a monthly reader of the magazine. This week, I finally decided to get a new amp based on the great five star review, the Sony STR-DA5400ES. Guess what: sold out, the new 5500ES is expected soon at a much higher pricetag...

As mentioned in the subject, the 'regular' stereo sound is just as important to me as surround. I like a rich and warm sound at lower volumes when playing cd's. mp3 and radio. We're playing mostly popular music. Also, it must perform at a higher volume!

What would you advise:

[*]- The new Onkyo TX-NR 3007 or 5007 (I'm never gonna use the 9.2, but do I like the smooth sound of Onkyo),
[*]- Wait for the new Sony STR-DA5500ES,
[*]- Or just order the STR-DA5400 at a webshop?
[*]- Perhaps the Yamaha DSP-Z7

I'm also replacing my current speakers (f/r, floorstanding). Current av-amp is a Yamaha DSP-A3090/5.1 (still running after all those years without any problems) and therefore I'm missing some connectivities...I'm not deeply impressed with the stereo playback (imo to 'bright'), so I don't know if the DSP-Z7 is a winner for me. I realise that the old 3090 is no match for the Z7, but how about plain stereo???

Budget for the receiver: aprox. GBP 2000, and another GBP 2000 for the speakers. I would like to keep my sub (B&W PV1) and center (also B&W).

Thanks in advance!

Best regards from The Netherlands,

Ronald

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Try to find a good deal for a stereo amp and look at something like the Yamaha RX-V1900 for the surround duties

There are some great deals in the UK on Arcam (that will probably suit your described taste in sound), Cyrus (I find these too bright) and Naim. I don't know if these are available in Nedeland, but have a look (and a listen). Find one you like that has a processor loop and use it for the fronts. This will be the best from a sound perspective if music is most important

A

Anonymous

Sell your car and buy an ARCAM AVR 600 or maybe just wait and save up. Mine sounds great on both Video (BLU RAY) and audio both through an OPPO 83 multi region BLU RAY player.

I have the DALI IKON 6 5.1 speaker system and they sound great on SACD using the two fronts and supplementing the bass with the sub or on movies with all channels blazing. I highly recommend all these products.

A

Anonymous

All nice (and probably the best) solutions, but I want one unit to do it all...Selling my car isn't a option: I finally bought my 'dreamcar' last year and yes, it does have a nice stereo and multichannel (5.1) system...;-)

After some searching on all kind of forums, I think these are the two best candidates for me: Denon AVR4310 or the Onkyo TX-NR3007.

What would you suggest (based on experience)?

Thanks again, Ronald

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Undutchable: After some searching on all kind of forums, I think these are the two best candidates for me: Denon AVR4310 or the Onkyo TX-NR3007.

There is a (glowing "Best Buy") six-page review on the Denon AVR4310 in the current edition of HCC. Worth reading if it's on your short-list: "... the AVR-4310 is the best sub £2000 home cinema receiver on the market..." ... in their opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts