Which one of these 2 amps would you prefer for...

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys.

I have the Dali ikon 2, mk2 speakers, and they need power to be driven, but power isnt everything. Like the most i also enjoy detail, clarity and crispness in my sound.

My question is, which one of these 2 amps ( Nad c375bee or the Sony STR-DN1050, i know the last one is a surround amp, but it should be good in stereo too) would you prefer for my dali speakers?

Hope you can help!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with the receiver only because it's more flexible.

It's got a built in dac, Bluetooth, WiFi and usb - plus optical/coax inputs.

If it is being used exclusively for stereo all unused channels can be switched off. So all power is directed to stereo it'll drive those Dali's fine.

And if they day ever comes when you want to expand into HT......

Its better looking to

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
That was what i was thinkin. I got the nad now, but id like to try the sony. How do you switch off the other channels?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Go into the menu and switch them off.

You can connect it to your t.v. which will make it easier to navigate around the menus, but should also be able to use the display.

Another plus is a sub out - if you ever feel the need to add a sub and Dsp modes if you fancy something different one night.

Don't be put off by naysayers claiming it'll be a compromise or won't sound as good as a dedicated stereo amp.

(in a blind test I doubt anyone can tell differences between the two types)

It's worth a listen provded you have the time to set the receiver up for stereo.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
There are valid arguements for both options, but here is my 2ps worth. I have recently bought the IKon 6Mk2's and Vokal centre for my AV (Marantz SA&UD7007). I have bi-amped the 6's and that should be an option with the Sony. To my ears, it adds solidity and control to the Dalis. Read the manual carefully for correct connections as easy to get wrong!!! In speaker menu, select bi-amp for main LR and "none" for all other speakers. Select "large". I agree with the above, horses for courses and the Sony also adds streaming, internet audio, dsd from SACDs and hi res BluRay audio. Its DSP allows an element of room correction. With all the tweaks available, you can tailor the sound to taste.

Good choice with the Dalis IMHO. Excellent with movies, but also a star with music -classical SACD, 196/24 Rock and surprisingly tolerant of MP3 compressed streaming/internet radio.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your answer. Do you think the sony has the power to drive the dalis as well as the nad? But if you see the reviews here, the sony get 5 star and my nad only 3. Anyway, if i go and talk to the people at the sony store. Couldnt they show me how set the amp up for stereo/shut off the other channels?

emperor's new clothes said:
There are valid arguements for both options, but here is my 2ps worth. I have recently bought the IKon 6Mk2's and Vokal centre for my AV (Marantz SA&UD7007). I have bi-amped the 6's and that should be an option with the Sony. To my ears, it adds solidity and control to the Dalis. Read the manual carefully for correct connections as easy to get wrong!!! In speaker menu, select bi-amp for main LR and "none" for all other speakers. Select "large". I agree with the above, horses for courses and the Sony also adds streaming, internet audio, dsd from SACDs and hi res BluRay audio. Its DSP allows an element of room correction. With all the tweaks available, you can tailor the sound to taste.

Good choice with the Dalis IMHO. Excellent with movies, but also a star with music -classical SACD, 196/24 Rock and surprisingly tolerant of MP3 compressed streaming/internet radio.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not familiar with Sony, but you can download the user manual here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/STR-DN1050#Manuals

See has bi amp facility.

Would recommend a visit to a Richer sounds who sell both Sony and Dali and compare to a Stereo amp then decide. They would explain the set up.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Do not assume that bi-amping your speakers will necessarily be better than using a single power amp per speaker.

In a multi-chanel reciever such as the Sony, bi-amping may reduce the power available which may be an issue. When the time comes, try it both ways and see what you can hear.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Well im in denmark, so richer sounds not an option hehe. There is a sonys tore near me though, they should be able to show it.
emperor's new clothes said:
I'm not familiar with Sony, but you can download the user manual here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/STR-DN1050#Manuals

See has bi amp facility.

Would recommend a visit to a Richer sounds who sell both Sony and Dali and compare to a Stereo amp then decide. They would explain the set up.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about that Dave, in my experience using the by amp method or both sets of speaker outs does not affect the amp output.

It does give a better signal to the drivers and helps with separation and definition.
This is subject to the quality of the speaker and the listeners preference though. Some unable to appreciate audible differences.

But it's all about trying our your options which is what the receiver will allow.

davedotco said:
Do not assume that bi-amping your speakers will necessarily be better than using a single power amp per speaker.

In a multi-chanel reciever such as the Sony, bi-amping may reduce the power available which may be an issue. When the time comes, try it both ways and see what you can hear.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
To the op - do be aware if you audition, receivers are attenuated differently to your standard stereo amp

While most stereo amps basically are at max output at 9 o'clock and give the impression they are loud the receiver will most likely equal the volume level at around 2 o'clock on the volume dial.
This does allow better volume control at lower levels - don't judge to soon. Be sure to 'listen' to the quality of the sound produceed.

Oh, and don't be fooled by any 'source direct' buttons, which on the receivers I've owned kill the amps dynamics.

Just remember the psu in a quality av amp is designed to drive at least 5 full range speakers with a sub connected.

And, well, on paper anyway should have more than enough headroom to control any speaker within its spec. IME they sound better once set up.

I have 5x90watts on the amp I use in stereo - using both A & B speaker outs to bi wire ny speakers.
Let us know how you get on.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Not sure about that Dave, in my experience using the by amp method or both sets of speaker outs does not affect the amp output.

It does give a better signal to the drivers and helps with separation and definition. This is subject to the quality of the speaker and the listeners preference though. Some unable to appreciate audible differences.

But it's all about trying our your options which is what the receiver will allow.

davedotco said:

No arguements there, you should aways try things for yourself.

The issue here is about the power supply. In nomal 2 channel use the power supply is feedingjust two power amp stages, in bi-amp mode it is feeding four.

Given, that in a normal two way speaker setup, 90+% of the power is needed below the crossover point, it might make a bigger difference that the 'bass' amplifier has less power (supply) available than in a 'normal' setup.

Ie the percieved advantage of bi-amping verses the disadvantage of a bass amplifier with less headroom. Try it and see.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts