Which One? Dylan Album

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If you could only own one Bob Dylan album, which one would it be?

I've never heard a Dylan album but fancy dipping my toes in. So which album do you recommend, preferably available on vinyl.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Could own one, or had to?

If I had to?

The shortest one.

emotion-8.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It's such a cliche, but Blood on the Tracks gets my vote. It's nicely self-contained and there isn't a single track I'd skip. Others will likely post more esoteric choices, but you can't go wrong with the break-up album.

Big Chris, you'll be telling us he can't sing next...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Got to admit I'm with BC, Dylan is one of the long list of artists I "don't get" (that Christmas album, I mean, really? Sounded more like The Muppets).

Has he ever released a "Best of" album? Try that, see if you like any of it.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well for me it would have to probably be "Bringing it all Back Home" followed a close second by "Blood on the Tracks"

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:Got to admit I'm with BC, Dylan is one of the long list of artists I "don't get" (that Christmas album, I mean, really? Sounded more like The Muppets).

Has he ever released a "Best of" album? Try that, see if you like any of it.

I'm the first to admit Dylan can veer from genuis to the pretentious (sometimes during the same song). I recall a conversation with my sister several years back where she expressed absolute hatred of Dylan. I then I listed several covers of Dylan songs she really liked.

Even if you can't get past the voice, it's hard to deny Dylan's influence; and quite frankly, with the **** that passes for lyrics these days, I'll defend Mr Zimmerman all day long...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash:
the_lhc:Got to admit I'm with BC, Dylan is one of the long list of artists I "don't get" (that Christmas album, I mean, really? Sounded more like The Muppets).

Even if you can't get past the voice, it's hard to deny Dylan's influence; and quite frankly, with the **** that passes for lyrics these days, I'll defend Mr Zimmerman all day long...

No I wouldn't deny the influence but I wouldn't listen to it because of that. I'm not really bothered by his voice either to be honest, it's the music I find a bit dull.

I'm not much of a fan of the singer-songwriter-busker sort of genre really, I prefer something interesting to be happening musically, one man and his guitar is recipe for snoresville I find, unless it's someone like Seasick Steve, who manages to make it sound a bit different, other than that I'm quite happy listening to instrumentals!

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
A possibly very controvertial choice but I'd have to go for "Oh Mercy". Not the best album but its such a hidden gem - "Shooting Star" and "Where Teardrops Fall" are great tracks IMO. Either that or "Highway 61" if I was in more of a rock n roll mood.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
audioaffair:A possibly very controvertial choice but I'd have to go for "Oh Mercy". Not the best album but its such a hidden gem - "Shooting Star" and "Where Teardrops Fall" are great tracks IMO. Either that or "Highway 61" if I was in more of a rock n roll mood.

I don't think it's controversial. "The Man in the Long Black Coat" and "What Good am I" are also great tracks from Oh Mercy. Another good choice from Dylan's more recent albums is Time Out of Mind.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:strapped for cash:

No I wouldn't deny the influence but I wouldn't listen to it because of that. I'm not really bothered by his voice either to be honest, it's the music I find a bit dull.

I'm not much of a fan of the singer-songwriter-busker sort of genre really, I prefer something interesting to be happening musically, one man and his guitar is recipe for snoresville I find, unless it's someone like Seasick Steve, who manages to make it sound a bit different, other than that I'm quite happy listening to instrumentals!

Fair enough, but Dylan has been so prolific an artist. and changed musical styles (and collaborators) so many times, that I don't think his music can be dismissed as simply "one man and his guitar." At the very least you'd have to add a harmonica to the list...
emotion-1.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash:the_lhc:strapped for cash:

Fair enough, but Dylan has been so prolific an artist. and changed musical styles (and collaborators) so many times, that I don't think his music can be dismissed as simply "one man and his guitar." At the very least you'd have to add a harmonica to the list...
emotion-1.gif

I dunno, I'd just rather listen to Jimmy Smith hammering away on his organ (uh, could have phrased that better...) than any singer really.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:strapped for cash:the_lhc:strapped for cash:

emotion-1.gif

I dunno, I'd just rather listen to Jimmy Smith hammering away on his organ (uh, could have phrased that better...) than any singer really.

emotion-2.gif

I'm with you to some extent. Many a song I like musically can be spoiled by awful lyrics. In which case I'd rather hear instrumental versions...

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
A tricky question TBH. Dylan's one of those artists that you can't sum up in one album

If I was to pick an album for someone to start with though it'd probably be Blood on the Tracks - that's where I started and I now consider myself a Dylan fan

Apart from that I would recommend Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (for acoustic) Blonde on Blonde (for electric) and Time Out of Mind (as a more modern album)

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Either of Jakob's albums. :D

I'll have to check out some of Bob's stuff too. Been meaning to for a while

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Cant go wrong with 'Blonde on Blonde' or 'Blood On The Tracks' If you absolutely love them you'll ''get'' most of his stuff, if not forget it!

I think 'Time Out Of Mind' is amongst the best stuff he's ever done, but its probably not a good place to start

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yes, Oh Mercy is a great choice, I'd say. Although the production vies with the songs for the listener's attention. Maybe not a bad thing if Bob's vocal inflections and delivery are a possible problem for you.

As mentioned elsewhere, Blood on The Tracks, is the album I usually suggest when asked to introduce the wonders of Bob to doubters, newbies, non-believers.

The shrillness in his voice is sweetened by some beautiful melodies, (Tangled Up in Blue), stunning lyrical evocation of time, place and person (Idiot Wind), and an underlying poignancy of novel-like depth (You're A Big Girl Now).

The oft-sited and much-mocked Christmas album is a bit like lambasting Paul McCartney for Pipes Of Peace or Mull Of Kintyre and ignoring some of his vaguely reasonable other work.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:The oft-sited and much-mocked Christmas album is a bit like lambasting Paul McCartney for Pipes Of Peace or Mull Of Kintyre and ignoring some of his vaguely reasonable other work.

Why? He recorded and released it and it's pap, so why shouldn't people comment on it?

Anyway Pipes of Peace is a great song!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Charlie Jefferson:The oft-sited and much-mocked Christmas album is a bit like lambasting Paul McCartney for Pipes Of Peace or Mull Of Kintyre and ignoring some of his vaguely reasonable other work.

Why? He recorded and released it and it's pap, so why shouldn't people comment on it?

Anyway Pipes of Peace is a great song!

Indeed, lambast away. What I meant was, it's not exactly a good critical gauge to judge someone's entire output by the more absurd additions to their body of work.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
any album with silvio on, dylan is a god and late night whisky in hand it gets no better. but he does go from 10/10 on vinyl to 6/10 on digital formats not sure why it just does not work on cds etc i bit like bruce springsteen

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Had a quick listen to X2 (Another Side Of Bob Dylan/The Times They Are A Changing) earlier on Spotify and to be honest wasn't really my thing but wouldn't mind hearing some more as I'm not sure if this was a true indication of what he's all about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts