Which of these setups would you go for if you had a budget of approx £800?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I want to play music through my computer. Any thoughts on the best options for me? My budget is approx £800 all-in, and I'm only considering purchasing new products. Also, speakers need to be smallish, given space constraints. I'm really a beginner on this, but have been reading and learning a lot from these forums recently!

So, music will be played through my (cheap) laptop, with music mostly mp3' compressed at 256kbps (vbr) but some fav albums in lossless. My music is predominantly rock, folk & alternative. In terms of sound, most important to me is clarity, esp. vocals & being able to distinguish different instruments. powerful bass is not crucial.

I know from the forums that I should buy a DAC (Beresford 7520 or CA Dacmagic I suppose) & stands & other appropriate accessories, but I'm undecided still on amp + speakers...

I've heard a few options, some of which were based on a previous forum request. The best of what I've heard are given below BUT each has to me some perceived downsides... any thoughts on alternative setups that can overcome these downsides?

[1] Dali Lektor 1 with a £300 micro system. Thought the sound was great EXCEPT for the big negative that vocals seemed 'recessed' [not sure if
this and other terms are accurate!]... would a better amp help?

[2] Kef iQ10 + Marantz PM6002. Liked the sound overall (more than
[1]), though sometimes it sounded to me a bit too 'bright'.

[3] Dynaudio MC-15. I really liked everything about the sound of these (more than [1] and [2]), but they're a bit over budget once accounting for extras.. would any passive speaker + amp combo give similar sound for less money (such as, say, Monitor Audio Silver RS1 + Marantz PM6002)? Plus am concerned about practicality issues, such as volume control + plugging in >1 input (like DVD player).

Anyways, any thoughts anyone has on this would be much appreciated! Thanks,

Chris

A

Anonymous

All I'd like to say is that I have a pair of dynaudio excite x12's and I love them. Imho as well as other's it a very respected speaker company with lots of fans worldwide. To cut a long story, short I vote for option 3 since as you said yourself you really liked everything about the sound of these and that's all that really matters in the end of the day.
emotion-2.gif

idc

Hi chrisdj. Don't be concerned about the cheapness of the PC, all it does is hold the music files. If you like the sound of the Dynaudios then start with them and work your way backwards to an amp and DAC. You have to begin somewhere afterall. My advice is that if you are starting out you have three choices. 1 - go with your gut instinct and what you think will work best for you. 2 - go with the best reviewed kit as per What hifi's recommendations (which is what I did when starting out). 3 - the best option, find a dealer with your speakers of choice and arrange a demo of amps and DACs, even if they only have a couple in your budget, it is still worthwhile, even if you leave with only the speaker. Take your PC along with you, they should be able to loan you cables to hook it up for an audition.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the thoughts. noble, you're right - of those 3 options I should only consider dynaudio mc15.. one issue solved! but it's overbudget & i'm not sure if i want to go down the active speaker route because of practicality issues. hence why i still want to hear some other passive speaker+amp combos.

idc, yep i'd like to audition as many setups as possible. thanks also for explaining re: computer.... can you or anyone else recommend small passive speakers + amp that would give the active dynaudio mc15's a good fight for the money?! so far, i've heard epos m5i, B&W 686, Quad 12L2 & the powered Aktimates, as well as the Dali Lektor 1 & Kef IQ10 + budget CA, Rotel & Marantz amps, all of which sounded good in their own ways but not as good as the active Dynaudios. Any other passive speaker + amp combos, or should I just forget my concerns about the active setup (+ price!) of the Dynaudio MC15s and get them?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts