Which not bright sounding CD player with Exposure 3010S2 amp.?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking at a new cd player for my Exposure amp. I don't like brightness. Music is metal and rock. I've the Marantz cd 6005 and found it bright! Female voices hurt my ears! Speakers are Dynaudio focus but this will maybe changed into B&W.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
An old Philips, Denon or Marantz second hand, early 90s, late 80s might help.

I also can't stand brightness and harshness and for the first time I enjoyed Joss Stone without pain when I got my B&W CM1 together with the Roksan Kandy K2 BT. Smooooth as velure rubbing against silk.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Sorry; i meant the Marantz cd 6004. But it was also with other speakers, Audio Vectors. The dealer who was at me at home also heard his own cd's (not metal or rock) and also at my home on the audio vectors. Same result. His conclusion it can only be the cd player. When i put a Sennheiser headphone into the player en list it sounds horrible bright. When i listen the same music at my mp3 plaer it sounds great!

peterpan said:
I'm looking at a new cd player for my Exposure amp. I don't like brightness. Music is metal and rock. I've the Marantz cd 6005 and found it bright! Female voices hurt my ears! Speakers are Dynaudio focus but this will maybe changed into B&W.

Arcam works well with Exposure. Like the others I would look at either amp or speakers before committing to a new cdp..

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Hm; Dynaudio Focus isn't know for brightness ans sharpness (voices). The dealer from Exposure who was at my home said there is a gap between 3 khz and 1 khz. And the Focus 260 sounds like monitors. Where is the lowend? Again he said it must be the cd player. I became now a mail from him. He said the Marantz has Switching power supplies what is very cheap. He find this do not belong in hifi.

peterpan said:
Hm; Dynaudio Focus isn't know for brightness ans sharpness (voices). The dealer from Exposure who was at my home said there is a gap between 3 khz and 1 khz. And the Focus 260 sounds like monitors. Where is the lowend? Again he said it must be the cd player. I became now a mail from him. He said the Marantz has Switching power supplies what is very cheap. He find this do not belong in hifi.

Haven't we been here before? Weren't you courting Marantz Pearl Lite some time ago?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
How did you end up with the Marantz 6004 anyway. I don't tjhink its renowned for being bright?

I would beware of dealers spending your money for you.

Try all different options, different cdp, change amp and speakers.

audylubis

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I own Marantz CD6005 and listen to rock too. But yesterday I compare the CD6005 vs. laptop (using iTunes) feed to Beresford TC 7520 (bought used for less than USD150) and the result is laptop with DAC wins. With 1000 pound budget, I would rather buy a good DAC rather than CDP. Better and cheaper solution IMO.

For better result make sure you get as close as to bit perfect which can be set up by following this instruction: http://www.ayre.com/usb-apple.htm ->for mac, http://www.ayre.com/usb-dac-windows-8.htm -> for windows 8.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
peterpan said:
I read the WHF test of Exposure 2010s2 cdp. Not good.

Never base your decision on WHF reviews go and listen :wall:

The Rotel RCD-1520 got a bad review as well on WHF . I made a demo at home to found out that it is ecxellent CDP :read:

However IMO the best option from the list I gave you is the Naim CD5si CDP .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts