Which new speakers to buy as an upgrade ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there !

I am looking since some time now for an upgrade to my speakers in my home cinema setup.

I already tried several speaker setups, but there wasn 't any which could convince me to go for the buy.

I like Home Cinema as well as HiFi, but the reason for upgrade is for 2 channel HiFi sessions (CD)

Let me first describe to you my current setup, from source to speaker:

Tag Mclaren DVD32R --> Chord Company Signature digtal interconnect

Tag Mclaren AV32Rbp192 --> 6 x Chord Company Chorus Analog interconnect

Tag Mclaren 700:7R --> Chord Company Odyssey speaker cable

Mission Volare V63 main speakers, bi-amped connected to power amp

Mission Volare center speaker, rears and REL Q150 MKII subwoofer

I would like to change the main speakers as a first step, in the price range of +/- 3000 £ for a pair of floorstanders

What I already auditioned + my foundings:

- Mission Elegante: the low end sounded to wooly for my taste

- Monitor Audio Gold: if it was a bit less bright, the perfect speaker

- Totem Staf: very laid back

- M & K 850: superb for Home Cinema, but not for HiFi

- Tag Mclaren Caliopes (without base modules): superb resolution and sound stage, but way too bright, shame

- Dynaudio Contour 1.3: very nice on a Arcam setup, but no nice match with Tag gear...

My personal taste goes to neutral, with a little leened towards the bright side, bot not too bright

Please advice on possible matching speakers for my home cinema setup, knowing my system, my personal taste and my findings on already auditioned speakers.

Thanks !

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, as someone else running a TAG-based system - AV32Rbp192/100X5R:10, but with a Naim DVD5 - I'd suggest the speakers I use, which are PMC OB1s. If they're too big for your room, the FB1+ will do very nicely.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew !

I hope I can find a PMC dealer here in Belgium and by the way, nice to hear someone like you is appreciating the Tag sound so much ! We are becoming outnumbered :-(

Could you describe to me what kind of sound you get from the OB1s ? The size of my room is 5 meters by 4,5 meters, do you think it 's big enough for those ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tag32"]
Thanks Andrew !

Could you describe to me what kind of sound you get from the OB1s ? The size of my room is 5 meters by 4,5 meters, do you think it 's big enough for those ?

[/quote]

Huge, tight, detailed and massively powerful. And yes, I'm sure your room is big enough - mine's about 5x6m.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts