Which Mission Speakers, for classic Technics?

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey all.

I'm a novice really when it comes to hifi, but I really enjoy my music.

History so far is my small Yamaha hifi with KEF iQ1's.

So, I'm moving house and the new garage has potential for a great workshop and great to listen to some music. It's like a 2 car garage but wider and longer. So, I thought id get a new hifi for it. Cheap was the word so I looked to ebay and got a Technics amp, cd player and tuner for £17.50, bargain! The amp is 2 x 50 watt and 8-16 ohm. (kind of wish I'd got something more powerful?) (oh, and my KEF's sound loads better with the Technics!)

So, the original plan was to pray on eBay for another bargain and hope for the best. Cheap is the optimum for me, as theyre going into a garage, after all But, I got looking at speakers and wondering, and I do really want a great sound, the best for the room with what I have. Ive kind of focused on Mission as I've been recommended them by a good many people for a broad and bass rich sound. And, due to the power, I think I'm looking at large book shelf or small floor standing speakers.

First up I found the MV4 for £110, then the MV6 for £170.
Then to the new MX series, the MV2 for £200.
Or, look for any big book/small floor Mission speakers on eBay for £20-£50 within 30 miles of home?

Would I be happy with the MV4?

I should really do the eBay thing, but it's an unknown for 2 reason, are they broken and what are they like? I don't know any Mission history, just reviews on the web.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I've just found Monitor BX1 and RX1's for £200 or £250? Just might not be loud or bass rich enough for me

Cheers, Tim.

Messiah

Mission have a great history with their 73x, 75x and 78x ranges (x being another number).

Here are some from ebay:

734i

Personally I think the 75x range was the best and I think this is reflected in the lack of speakers from the range on ebay at present. Worth keeping an eye out for though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Is your garage heated, or at least de-humidified?

Extreme winter cold and dampness can be a killer, as well as a fire risk if you leave mains-powered components plugged in and they get damp from the winter climate.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I had a pair of these back in the day:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mission-770-speakers-and-stands-/180739201670?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2a14e55a86

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow! Thanks so much for the brief and important history lesson! I know what I'll be searching eBay for. 1 pair is quite close to me!

As for the garage damage, I never even thought about that. Thanks for the warning. eBay purchases all the way, and I'll turn the power off at the socket.

Those 770's look nice!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
T

the record spot

I've used the Mission 751s, the 733i and currently some 752s. The latter two are floorstanders, the 751s are terrific standmounts. £300 in their day and you'll probably find a mint pair for about £100 now. The 752s you should probably get for around the same, maybe a little more depending on condition. The 733i you'd get for about £50 in near mint condition. They're not so good as the other two, but they'll deliver a very musical sound but the music comes out with a little less scale compared to the 752. I've tried them both together, so it's really down to your budget and preference.

The 733i was about 9kgs in weight from memory, the 752s are about twice that. All three deliver good/great results.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I believe that the M7x & later M3x are modern designs from the IAG era & have little to do with the vintage Missions. I think these designs were largely aimed at the budget AV market.

I had a pair of M34i & they were pretty dreadful, mainly I think due to what seemed like a poor crossover. The tweeter was being asked to do far too much & it didn't like it.

As you surmise, the "i" versions were supposedly improved.

I don't know if the vintage Missions used the foam surrounds on the cones that a lot of speakers did from that period but they were prone to perishing. If so, I doubt that a garage environment would be good for them.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Cheers for the further info.

I thought a similar thing about cone material and whether paper cones mightneed to be avoided. Cone material is difficult to find out, but surround material is surely even harder! Oh well. I'll go for the best I can get on eBay and hope they work well for me.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there anywhere I can get the specifications for all the old Mission speakers? I'm finding the infromation difficult to find, and some websites have info on just one. I've tried to send Mission a messgae through their website but it may not be working? email might be better.

The reason I want it, is because the 782 might not be right for my amp, the amp states 8-16ohm and is 50 watt. The 782 is 6ohm and recommended amp is 26-250, so my amp would be pretty tiny for it.

Am I right in thinking that I might damage the speaker, as the impedance is lower and my amp will be kicking out more impedance. Plus, I might also clip the speakers if i turn the volume up too high?
If the impedance of the speaker was higher than the amp, i might damage the amp? right?

Tim

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Stereophile have specs on a Mission Cyrus 782, which is part of a review...just google it.

Some other 700 series are covered here: http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/770.htm and
http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/700w.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts