Which is the best 4K Blu-ray player, PS5 or Xbox Series X?

D

Deleted member 2457

I think the Sony PS5 easily performs than than the Xbox too. I am going to use mine as my only 4K Blu-ray player too. One thing though I have the sound coming through the TV sound on the amp, is that the way to do it?

PJthePlayer

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
As someone who has both a Series X and a PS5 I personally find that the Series X delivers the better picture and definitely better audio. That being said I found both to be lacking enough to warrant picking up an Panasonic UB820 and have no regrets with it.

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
HDR 10+ and especially Dolby Vision are essential. I own both consoles, but both are garbage for 4K UHD Blu-ray. Pretty lame how I still need to dish out another several hundred dollars for a capable Blu-ray player after already spending over $1K on 2 consoles that both have 4K players in them... one of which even does Dolby Vision for gaming, but not for 4K UHD Blu-rays. Pathetic. Watch them both add support when PS5 Pro and Series X.5 come along. Complete **** move from both Sony and MS.

PJthePlayer

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
HDR 10+ and especially Dolby Vision are essential. I own both consoles, but both are garbage for 4K UHD Blu-ray. Pretty lame how I still need to dish out another several hundred dollars for a capable Blu-ray player after already spending over $1K on 2 consoles that both have 4K players in them... one of which even does Dolby Vision for gaming, but not for 4K UHD Blu-rays. Pathetic. Watch them both add support when PS5 Pro and Series X.5 come along. Complete **** move from both Sony and MS.

Yeah the omission of the HDR formats is what drove me to pick up my dedicated player. The reason the Xbox can't do DV for 4k media yet supports DV for gaming is because full-fat 4k media DV requires a physical Dolby chip on-board while DV gaming does not. My guess is that MS/Sony decided the cost of that physical chip was not worth it considering most of their customers wouldn't care about it. At least the Xbox does DV gaming though... PS5 is lacking DV entirely (as well as Atmos) which is embarrassing in my opinion.

Dario

Jul 30, 2022
Visit site
That said, if you once again compare the Series X to the Sony UBP-X700 Blu-ray player, it’s clear that the latter is a sonic step-up in just about every way.

Sound tested was though HDMI? If so, it's digital. Assume the same receiver or sound bar, it doesn't seem possible that they could sound different. A digital signal can't be altered to sound better or worse - it just passing data.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts