Which is better.. YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB 4:4:4 for a Blu Ray player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I have been away for a while but back on now and want to ask a question that kinda has bugged me for a few years...

What video mode is good on a Blu Ray player, example is YCbCr 4:4:4 better than RGB 4:4:4 or 4:4:2 on either again?? I havn't got a clue which mode is the best picture quality? What mode do the guys at What Hi-Fi use to test the blu ray players?

I have always kept it on RGB 4:4:4 but never knew if that's the best setting or YCbCr 4:4:4 is the better of the two? I could be watching a picture that could be better but i dont know?

What do you guys use or do you know the answer to which is best?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Component as thats what blurays are recorded in (YCbCr). watching in RGB means its being converted first (Not good)

I have to say though, its bad when a Panasonic guy doesnt know about his own products!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the speedy reply. I actually got it the wrong way round, ive used YCbCr for the past few years on all my blu ray players but wanted to know if that was the best mode but sounds like it is thanks to your answer.

If its anything to do with a Panasonic product, im pretty much there with the ins and outs but scientific values or chroma levels etc is a mind boggle and by the way, it's a Pioneer blu ray player im trying to fine tune ;)

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK: I have to say though, its bad when a Panasonic guy doesnt know about his own products!

to be fair not having knowledge of chroma subsampling doesn't mean he isn't knowledgable about panasonic products.

A

Anonymous

cram:
aliEnRIK: I have to say though, its bad when a Panasonic guy doesnt know about his own products!

to be fair not having knowledge of chroma subsampling doesn't mean he isn't knowledgable about panasonic products.

Someone who has hit the nail on the head. Thanks!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
cram:

My personal thoughts are that its quite basic knowledge that dvds and blurays are recorded in component (especially if I worked in the industry)

A

Anonymous

Basic knowledge to you maybe but i'd like to see if other people in the industry know about this, such as Currys, Comet, Sony Centre, Richer Sounds etc i think you would find that the answer would be a big No apart from maybe a couple of people who might know.

The forum is about asking questions and receiving answers to get the best advice and listening to others view on a subject, the forum is not for insulting people on their knowledge.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Panasonic Store:
Basic knowledge to you maybe but i'd like to see if other people in the industry know about this, such as Currys, Comet, Sony Centre, Richer Sounds etc i think you would find that the answer would be a big No apart from maybe a couple of people who might know.

The forum is about asking questions and receiving answers to get the best advice and listening to others view on a subject, the forum is not for insulting people on their knowledge.

I agree that most people who work in sony, richer sounds, comet etc dont have a clue what theyre talking about. Id expect sony and panasonic people to know more than currys guys mind.

I was most suprised at you as you post on here quite regular and you really should already know about component on blurays etc

If you feel im insulting you then I apologise. Not really my intent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts