which interconnects to buy?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone reccomend cheapish interconnects for new my second hand amp & cd player that i've just bought. I've already exceeded my budget, so i don't want to spend too much. That said, i understand the difference it can make.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If you look in the current (June) issue, we've just done an interconnect round-up which may assist you somewhat. If you're on a tight budget, give the QED Profile a whirl - given the money it's more than admirable. If you can go that little bit extra, try the Chord Crimson Plus - punches well above its price tag, and there's very little to dislike really...

Chris

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Van Damme Up- LC-OFC interconnects (And speaker cable if your in the market). Less grain than standard OFC (Which is most out there)

T

tiggs

You should be able to get a pair of the Chord Crimson cables with the metal bodied phono plugs for about £20.00 on ebay, or if you want to spend a bit more it may be worth looking out for a pair of Chord Cobra cables.

A

Anonymous

my interconnects are freebies pp, copper wire coated in plastic, probably made in taiwan alongside the expensive ones, which are also copper wire coated in plastic..

maxflinn said:
my interconnects are freebies pp, copper wire coated in plastic, probably made in taiwan alongside the expensive ones, which are also copper wire coated in plastic..

Missing the point, Max. The OP is asking for advice and people telling him/her "gold plated jobbies" or "wire is a wire" isn't helping his/her cause.

A

Anonymous

Maxflinn if wire is wire I suppose speakers are speakers right? Shame you spent money on Dynaudio's and Marrantz etc... when my little sister has a very good condition Alba micro system you could of bid on ebay for a fraction of the cost. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't notice any audible difference. Never mind I suppose we all live and learn... well most of us.

A

Anonymous

British HiFi Is King said:
Maxflinn if wire is wire I suppose speakers are speakers right? Shame you spent money on Dynaudio's and Marrantz etc... when my little sister has a very good condition Alba micro system you could of bid on ebay for a fraction of the cost. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't notice any audible difference. Never mind I suppose we all live and learn... well most of us.

is it nice being rude?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
lindsayt said:
£4.50 gold plated jobbies from eBay. They're what I use in my £4,500 system.

Could you be more specific? "Gold Plated jobbies" isn't much use to the OP.

Yes go to eBay, consumer electronics section. Type "RCA gold" in the search section. Order it by lowest price + postage first. Buy the first (cheapest) set of interconnects that are long enough. If you're fussy, buy the first that you like the look of.

The last interconnects that I bought were some unbranded 1.5 metre lengths x 6 cable - probably designed for audio-visual use. Once I slit open the outer sheathing to unbundle them they were just the job for connecting my pre-amp to active crossover to two power amps.

If I had to buy another set of interconnects I'd just buy the cheapest gold plated ones off eBay that looked half decent.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
maxflinn said:

Missing the point, Max. The OP is asking for advice and people telling him/her "gold plated jobbies" or "wire is a wire" isn't helping his/her cause.

On the contrary. Telling the OP where to get the cheapest cables that will sound just as good as the most expensive cables is very helpful.

We're saving the OP time and money and stress.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
plastic penguin said:
maxflinn said:

On the contrary. Telling the OP where to get the cheapest cables that will sound just as good as the most expensive cables is very helpful.

Not necessarily, the OP might be similar to a lot of people in being able to hear a significant difference when using different types of cable.

A

Anonymous

if some people think they can hear differences between different interconnects and speaker cables then that's fine, i'm not going to tell them they can't.

but i can't here such differences, and as many blind tests have shown people can't pick out different cables/interconnects, and i've yet to be given any explanation by anybody on here as to why/how these differences might be there.

so my advice based on the above is to buy the cheapest as they will imo sound every bit as good as more expensive interconnects/cables which have simple wire at their core, the fancy coating/sheathing has no relationship with electricity and therefore is irrelevant.

just my views...

(i have no wish to argue with anybody, or to be rude)

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
I would recommend a pair of Cambridge Audio Pacific ICs. They sound great in my reasonably expensive system and can be bought for £20 or less of ebay. I recently replace much more expensive Kimber ICs with these.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Gusboll said:
lindsayt said:
plastic penguin said:
maxflinn said:

Not necessarily, the OP might be similar to a lot of people in being able to hear a significant difference when using different types of cable.

Well in that case, my advice still stands.

The OP should follow my recommendation and buy £4.50 interconnects. And then use them as a reference in their system to compare against any other interconnects. If he buys another interconnect that he thinks sounds better and is worth the extra money then he should sell the £4.50 cables on eBay in which case he might lose a couple of quid at most. If he buys another interconnect and can't tell any difference, or doesn't think they're worth the extra money then he should send the new cables straight back to the dealer / manufacturer for a full refund.

By the way, I'd be happy to bring my £4.50 cables round to anyone's house for a comparative listening session. Maybe your existing cables sound better than mine in your system, maybe not, or maybe they sound more or less the same.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn said:
if some people think they can hear differences between different interconnects and speaker cables then that's fine, i'm not going to tell them they can't.

but i can't here such differences, and as many blind tests have shown people can't pick out different cables/interconnects, and i've yet to be given any explanation by anybody on here as to why/how these differences might be there.

so my advice based on the above is to buy the cheapest as they will imo sound every bit as good as more expensive interconnects/cables which have simple wire at their core, the fancy coating/sheathing has no relationship with electricity and therefore is irrelevant.

just my views...

(i have no wish to argue with anybody, or to be rude)

You are of course entitled to your views, as is everyone else Maxx.

The answer is easy though:- Dependant on the outer coatings, they can & do affect the electricity giving it different resistances.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts