Which Home Cinema Speaker System?

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi All!

This is my first post! I have been reading this forum for about 3 months now. By the way, I'm from Malaysia. Hope to get some feedback or opinions to my questions / dilemma. Below are my shortlisted speaker systems (satellites speaker) with suggested partnering amp:

Priority: 50/50 (Music/movie)

1) AE Aego T + Denon 1910 = RM5,800 (about GBP1,160)

2) EPOS AVS 5.1 + Denon 1910 = RM5,800 (about GBP1,160)

3) QA 2000 Series 5.1 (graphite) + Marantz NR1501 = RM5,250 (about GBP1,050)

Alternatively, I have also selected 2 cheaper options as below:-

4) BA Soundware XS 5.1 + Denon 1610 = RM3,300 (about GBP 660)

5) PSB Alpha 5.1 (with 4 x LR1) + Yamaha 467 = RM4,000 (about GBP 800)

Question 1: Any comment on the suggested partnering package (speakers + amp)?

Question 1: Which of these package would you choose and why?

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply.

Cheers!

CSC

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Apa khabar Ronald?

Terima kasih for your reply. Really appreciate it! BTW, are you from Malaysia?

Have been searching thru net, not many review on the EPOS AVS 5.1. Just wondering if there's any owner or anyone who has auditioned it can give some comment. Ronald, I see you have the ELS 3 5.1 paired with onkyo, how is the AQ for music (good for jazz, vocal, instrumental?) If i'm not mistaken, Epos speakers are warmer, that's why you paired them with onkyo which are bright. This gives a balance AQ (Warm + bright). Wondering how it pairs with Denon, Marantz or Yamaha.

Would appreciate if anyone could give their opinion on Epos AVS 5.1.

Terima kasih again Ronald!

Cheers,

CSC

lussen

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
hai.im from penang denon 1910 is great try to match with wharfadale 9.package .DENON1910+mordaunt short aviano+velodyne impact10 sub

You've got to audition your speaker and receiver combinations before buying. Yes, as a general rule, it's a good idea to mix a bright speaker with a warm amp or vice versa for a more balanced sound. But different people have different preferences. Some prefer warmer sound, some prefer a brighter sound. No one can advise you what you'll like.

All your options look good. Give them a listen & see what you like most.
emotion-21.gif

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CSChuang,

Selamat pagi. I have visited Malaysia and Singapore previously.

Would it be possible for you to set-up a demo of these systems?

We all have different tastes and it would be adviseable for you to listen to these systems and decide for yourself as they will all have their own sonic characteristics.

I have always preferred Onkyo's big, bold and muscular sound for movies while others may well prefer a Denon or Yamaha which may sound smoother, so it is all down to your individual preference.

For music, I have a Rega separates system - you want a stereo amplifier for your music, and not an AV amp.

I also have a B&W system and the Onkyo is great with that too.

Ronald

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
lussen, bigboss & Ronald,

Thanks for your reply!

Actually I have auditioned all except BA Soundware XS 5.1 and QA 2000 (although I have listened to the 1010i series). But I can't really tell the AQ between them. Still very new to all these audiophile world. Below are my findings so far:-

Aego T - Surround is good++, music is good. Like the size, look & finishing of the satellites

PSB Alpha (LR1) - Surround and music - good+

Epos AVS 5.1 - Surround is good+, music is good++. Quite nice finishing.

QA 1010i - Surround and music - good+ (I guess 2000 package is good++)

I'm leaning towards smaller size speaker (just like my Aego M, small size but with 'large & crisp' sound).

Sigh! Just don't know which to choose. Which speakers system would give the best in terms of value and performance. I guess, just have to audition BA to decide?!

Any comment is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

CSC

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CSChuang,

Have you tried the JAMO A102 HCS5? These are small yet produce a brilliant sound. The sub especially is very good, 200 watts of power.

At a higher price range, the Mission M-cubes would be the one to seek. Very good system with very dicreetly sized speakers.

Alternatively, you might want to consider a KEF? Maybe a 2005 series or the multi award winning 3005SE?

I have not listened to the Boston so will be unable to comment. They are very discreetly sized and were awarded 5 **** by WHF so they must be good, although the staff at RS seem to be bewildered by this!
emotion-8.gif

I was not impressed by either the Q Acoustics 1010i or the 2000 Cinema pack. I found the higher frequencies straining to my ears and the front channels were not as cohesive as I would have liked them to be.

Ronald

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Ronald!

I have tried the Jamo A102 HCS5. They are not bad. Just that, in forums, most people prefer the BA soundware XS than the Jamo and they think the BA is a different class than the Jamo. They cost almost the same price here.

For the Mission M-cubes, Kef 2005 (i have listened to KEF, they are good too! just not fancy they shape/design) both are priced very high here, more than double the price of BA/Jamo. (which is also higher than Aego T, Epos & QA). I have compare current price between UK & Malaysia (just as a guide for better value):

1) Epos AVS 5.1. is the best value (about GBP200 cheaper than in UK!!)

2) BA Soundware XS, almost same price.

3) The rest, easily about GBP150-GBP300 higher than in UK price.

FYI, audiophile stuffs are quite pricey (sometimes crazy) here in Malaysia compare to UK. I guess it's a heaven for audiophile peoples there.

Any Epos AVS 5.1 owner out there? Mind to share your opinion about your Epos system?

Thanks in advance for all your reply!

Cheers,

CSC

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CSChuang,

Don't be influenced by what people say on forums. At the end of the day, it is your money, your living room, and your system.

What should matter to you is that you enjoy it and are able to live with it!

The Boston did indeed edge the Jamo out in a much anticipated Group Test, so I really do think that you need to listen to the system yourself.

Best of luck.

Ronald

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ronald,

Thanks for all your replies. Really appreciated your opinions.

I guess I just need to audition the BA before deciding.

Thanks!

CSC

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ronald,

I have auditioned the soundware xs 5.1 recently. I was impressed with the big sound and the capabilities for both movie & music. May be, just may be the centre is a bit lacking. Nevertheless, overall still very impressive!

I guess all my options are good choice. However, i have drop the QA from my list. since my condo will only be ready in 2-3 months time, will grab any good deals that comes along, hopefully soooon...

My final list, in preference order:

1) BA Soundware XS 5.1 (with the extra $$, will get a pair of budget bookshelf for music purpose, Speaker B: MA BR2, Wh 10.1 or Usher 520)

2) Epos AVS 5.1

3) Aego T

Cheers.

CSC

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CSChuang,

I guess the Boston Acoustics it is then! Sounds like a great system.

I'm curious as to where you are getting all these equipment from as they are very cheap, by Malaysian standards - I am aware that the import taxes there are exhorbitant, something like 300%, or does that only apply to cars?

Infact, they are also cheaper than the price we pay here in the UK.

Ronald

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ronald,

Have not decided yet. We shall see. Yes indeed, they are impressive for their price and size!

Generally, AV equipment in Malaysia are priced higher than in US/UK, may be additional 20-60% higher. To me, all my shortlisted speakers are 'value for money'. Have to be a smart consumers I guess. For instance, Aego T's original price was RM6500-RM7000, now selling at RM3500. Epos AVS 5.1 is even cheaper than in UK, coz according to the sales person, they didn't mark-up a lot, which I totally agreed with him! Also, certain brands & models are made in Malaysia (AE, BA & Yamaha amp to name a few). I heard there are a few OEM factory for speakers here. Nevertheless, I still think UK & US are the heaven for AV equipment, for the competitive price, bigger market (availability) and choices!

BTW, if I were to choose BA, shall I wall-mount or stand-mount the front 2 speakers? Does the SQ is much better if stand-mount and move them 2-3 ft away from the wall? Even though they are just satellites.

For cars, yes, we have to pay 150%-300% for imported cars, this is protect our own national cars!

Cheers.

CSC

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CSChuang,

For such small speakers (style speaker package), I would think that one would want to wall mount them as that would have been the primary motivation in getting them in the first place - being discreet and unobstrusive.

Also, they are an enclosed design - no front/rear ports, so they will work just fine - they will work fine wall-mounted or on the thin speaker stands close to or away from the wall. Your choice really.

Yes, I am aware that many A/V equipment are assembled in Malaysia - my Onkyo 605, 606 and even the Pioneer 320 blu-ray player and my old Marantz CD player. My 875 is however made in Japan as I recently noticed.

I really hope you go for the EPOS AVS, personally. How do they compare to the Boston Acoustics, in your view?

Ronald

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ronald for all your input!

Personally, I also hope I could get the bigger size speakers like Epos AVS or Aego T, which I need to double up the budget compare to BA. I do know that bigger size speaker does matters in terms of SQ.

BA is really good considering them producing big sound from their small size. I guess Epos would performance better by giving a bigger & better soundstage and ability to fill a bigger room.

So, now it's narrow down to 2 final options, assuming both cost the same:

1) BA Soundware XS 5.1 (for movie) + 2 bookshelf speaker (Diamond 10.1/ Usher 520/ BA BR2: Speaker A/B for stereo) = RM3,500

2) Epos AVS 5.1 (for both movie & music) = RM3,500

Ronald, would you still choose Epos?

Cheers.

CSC

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CSChuang,

Yes. Was there a discernible difference in sound, in your opinion?

I have always favoured full sized speakers personally over style packages, as I simply prefer the look of them, also bearing in mind that the tiny satellite speakers will always have limitations, with the subwoofer actually doing more of the work across all frequencies.

The winning ingredient in such systems is always the subwoofer, you will notice - the quality of the sub will either make or break such systems.

Ronald

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ronald!

From my observation, the Epos produces a more detail sound, a more 'relax & ease' sound at higher volume compare to BA. Generally, does Epos speaker consider warm?

Also, have you listen to AVS 5.1 before? If yes, how would you compare to your ELS3 5.1? Big different or minor?

Cheers.

CSC

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CSChuang,

ELS3 -----> http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2240
AVS ------> http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/5319
I have not had the pleasure of listening to the AVS unfortunately. I would think that the sonic characteristics would not differ much. They certainly look very good, especially in that black gloss finish.

I used to own the EPOS M12.2 & M22 speakers for my music and I loved them for their timing, detail and insight and voices just sounded glorious. Bass weight could be better though, admittedly.

My ELS3 system is really nice - I love them and with that 300watt subwoofer, they really do kick a punch!

Plus, they look great - to me at least!

Ronald

cschuang

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Ronald,

Thanks for all your input! Really helps me to really think further before my purchase. May go for another round of audition to really feel the Epos SQ.

Ronald, I actually stayed in Birmingham for 1.5 year (2001/03) during my uni there. Very funny, as occasionally still dreaming of going back UK for shopping, especially for the outdoor equipments. Really hope would visit there in near future. What impressed you most during your visit to Malaysia? Both good & bad.

Cheers.

CSC

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CSChuang,

I loved the food in Malaysia (durian included!). The people are hospitable and very friendly. The weather unfortunately is way too hot and humid for any thoughts of a long-term stay.

The cost of living there is atrocious - everything costs a bomb! For a holiday, it is a great place to vist with it's lovely beaches and food especially.

Ronald

A

Anonymous

Hi CSC

I am from Malaysia too and also looking for something similar to yours. May I know if you have purchased your system? If so, which one did you buy and are you happy with it?

Also, which are the shops which u auditioned your shortlists?

thanks for your help

mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts