Which headphones?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been looking around for some new headphones for a few weeks now and I cant decide on what to get

Budget: Around £100, £150 MAX

They'll mainly be used for at home and then when I take them to uni to use there with their computers (I'm doing a degree in music technology)

I have never owned a pair of expensive headphones so I have nothing to compare any of these to, I'm just going on reviews and what I hear here on the internet

So I'm looking for something that's going to be easy portable and durable, mainly.

I also cannot decide whether to go for open or closed. Closed seems to be the better option for what I am needing as I will be using them at university around other people.

So far I've been looking at:

Closed:

Sennheiser HD 380 pro - £100

Audio-Technica ATH M50 - £110

Shure SRH840 - £130

Open:

Sennheiser HD595 - £120

Grado SR80I - £108

From what I have seen all of these are great headphones. At the moment I'm mainly tied between the ATH M50s and the HD 380 pros (mainly due to them being closed and the portability)

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
what will you be driving them with ?

from that list the Grado is the best for music, they are open, but music doesn't sound right with closed back 'phones.

I'd get the Grados for serious listening and some cheaper Senn HDs closed for journeys etc

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
I got a good deal on a pair of Sennheiser HD380 Pros on Amazon a few months ago. I wanted an 'over ear' closed headphone as opposed to the 'on ear' Sennheiser HD25's I already have. The HD380's were very disappointing in comparison.

You can pick up the HD25's on Amazon for around £140. In comparison they aren't quite as comfortable for long listening sessions as like I said, they sit 'on the ear' but the sound quality IMO is in a different league. They're also work well with an iphone/ipod and are far more portable than the bigger HD380's.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Try demoing some ever cheaper headphones - you might be very surprised. I've just bought some Sennheiser HD202s and was amazed by the sound for £25.00 or so.
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

My only reason not to get opens are because I feel I may disturb other people at uni when I use them.

I was looking at the HD25s but I thought that they might be more towards the DJing market more than what I was wanting if you know what I mean, however if they are good headphones then there's no doubt i shall consider them

The grados seem like the best option when it comes to sound quality but I've heard that they're not too comfy with the plastic sort of headband

The maximum ill be wearing/using them is around 8 to 10 hours (with breaks included (taking them off etc)) so they do need to be relatively comfy

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
I've read very good things about AKG K271 MKII's too. They are closed back, 'over ear' and supposedly very comfortable.

If you do a bit of searching you can find them on the internet for around £109.

As always though it's best to try and get a demo.

A

Anonymous

I've ordered a pair of SR80i's and then I'm going to buy a pair of closed back headphones in a few months time ready for uni next year. I'll probs end up getting the K271's or a cheaper alternative depending on how much I have to spend when I get them

Thanks for all your help!

idc

Excellent choice and the joy of headphones, you need different ones for different listening. I have lots and each is essential. You can't do that with speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts