Which Graphics and TV cards for PC?

dontlaugh

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Now that I am back in a house after being on a narrowboat for seven years, I can think about HiFi/Cinema again.

Pre-boat, I had a Pro-Logic system and it is fascinating to see how things have moved on in that time.

PCs have moved on too and since I work in IT I have in mind creating a Media Centre type PC as the hub for all audio-visual stuff.

I have acquired a slightly used quad-core HP xw4400 with 4GB RAM (max 8GB) and with acouple of 1TB HDDs, it should work fine for a while.

I need two things for it - a TV tuner card and a graphics card and wonder if anyone could advise here.

With the Freesat HD card available from Hauppauge - the HVR4000 (which also has Freeview and Analogue tuners on the card) it seems short-sighted not to include this, despite not having a dish at present.

Is there a better card now available? This one dates back to 2007.

Secondly, graphics cards...

An ATI 4850 based card seems well thought of with its ability to send video and HD audio over HDMI.

As always, this is generic and there are a number of manufacturers using this chipset on their cards.

Sapphire, Asus, Powercolor, Diamond – all these do ATI 4850 cards.

Some will doubtless be better than others – and I welcome any recommendations.

(I am thinking of going for a 1GB version incidentally).

When the time comes, the rest of the system will (at the moment) comprise Q-Acoustics1010i and whichever receiver is well rated at the time (after an audition of course!). Currently the Denon AVR-1910.

Oh! nearly forgot - will need a BluRay reader or reader/writer at some point too!

Thanks all!

Martin

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
If your looking for a 1gb graphics card try the asus 4870x2 i've seen for around £240 although i've not found anywhere in stock at the moment although it is still on asus's webste, also if you look round you should find a pioneer bu-ray reader/writer with cyberlink software for less than £150.

dontlaugh

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation.

I need to do some reading I think! There is a Gigabyte GV-R487D5-1GD which is a 1GB HD4870, PCI-E 2.0, 3600MHz GDDR5 card.

This comes with an HDMI port and DVI so no DVI/HDMI adapter required.

I have found this in stock on the web for a mere £126.26 including VAT.

Any comment on Gigabyte versus Asus?

Martin

TRENDING THREADS