Which CD player to choose?

aff

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Since my CD player found it's end I have been using a rather simple DVD player to listen some tracks. The music sounds ....numb, like behind a glass door if you know what I mean. So clearly not a winner. I would be aiming for something "warm" + open high's at around 250 EUR price point. I know that last makes is difficult but still. What I have here available would be something from NAD and Cambridge, maybe something else (as I'm not living in UK). Otherwise the other elements of the system are Cambridge Audio 550A and Audes 116 speakers (which are not common in UK).

Generally the system would be playing something from bossa, chillout, blues from time to time.

So which way to go with the CD - any suggestions?

Thanks!

John Duncan

Your amp and speakers will have most effect on the sound so I would buy a CD player that matches your amp. Don't know what prices are like in your country but that might suggest the Cambridge 351c?

matthewpiano

The Denons are excellent. The recorded music department at work uses a DCD520AE which plays all day every day, sounds great, and never gives a moments trouble (after a Cambridge one which had to be replaced 4 times).

I use the DCD720AE in my system at home and it is excellent. Very nicely balanced sound.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Matthew,

is there much difference in sound quality when playing MP3 files (from a usb stick, 320kbps) compared to a real CD ?

You bought the Zensor 3 speakers. Nice :grin:

matthewpiano

Cypher said:
Matthew,

is there much difference in sound quality when playing MP3 files (from a usb stick, 320kbps) compared to a real CD ?

You bought the Zensor 3 speakers. Nice :grin:

Hi Cypher. I'll do a proper comparison when I get chance later on and come back to you.

Yes, the Zensor 3s proved to be exactly what I was looking for. Just had to take the first pair back though due to a fault, but it was a quick and painless exchange and the new pair are playing beautifully as I type.

matthewpiano

Cypher - I haven't forgotten about the comparison. Just keep leaving my USB stick at work. Will try to remember tomorrow!

1984cw - The more I listen to the Dalis the less I can describe them in hi-fi terms because I just end up listening to the music. They are brilliant speakers. They do share the musicality and cohesiveness of the Q 2020i but they do produce the extra scale you would expect them to and the treble is more open but has more depth to the sound at the same time. A pretty hopeless description I know, but I just can't reduce these speakers to a series of hi-fi cliches. I enjoy them more than any other speaker I've owned, and that list has included the following:

B&W 685, KEF Q300, QA 1030i, B&W 686, KEF iQ10, Mission 792, Dali Lektor 2, Dali Zensor 1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Wharfedale Diamond 10.4, Quad 11L, Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2, Monitor Audio BX2, Monitor Audio BR2, Monitor Audio B2, QA 2020i, Mission MX2.....

Yes, I've been through a lot of speakers. I think the search for speakers has finally come to an end.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Cypher - I haven't forgotten about the comparison. Just keep leaving my USB stick at work. Will try to remember tomorrow!

1984cw - The more I listen to the Dalis the less I can describe them in hi-fi terms because I just end up listening to the music. They are brilliant speakers. They do share the musicality and cohesiveness of the Q 2020i but they do produce the extra scale you would expect them to and the treble is more open but has more depth to the sound at the same time. A pretty hopeless description I know, but I just can't reduce these speakers to a series of hi-fi cliches. I enjoy them more than any other speaker I've owned, and that list has included the following:

B&W 685, KEF Q300, QA 1030i, B&W 686, KEF iQ10, Mission 792, Dali Lektor 2, Dali Zensor 1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Wharfedale Diamond 10.4, Quad 11L, Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2, Monitor Audio BX2, Monitor Audio BR2, Monitor Audio B2, QA 2020i, Mission MX2.....

Yes, I've been through a lot of speakers. I think the search for speakers has finally come to an end.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
This TEAC player is a nice one too.

cd-h750-b_p_front.jpg

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

I'm afraid I think you are just an addict. You're just replacing one set of cheapo speakers with another each time. Upgrade significantly, or accept the limitations.

TRENDING THREADS