Which camp are you in?

I was reading an article about the ressurgence of the Technics brand written by Alan Sircom (HiFi+) where he splits music lovers of today into "mainstream music lover (who now buys Sonos, and largely isn’t that bothered about high-resolution) and the audiophile buyer (who already has their own position on high-resolution, even if that relies on abandoning digital for LPs)."

I wonder, using his definitions, where you lie.

daanodinot

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm... I wouldn't consider myself a mainstream music lover (especially not contemporary), and I'm also not really into multi-room systems (i.e. Sonos). But then, I also wouldn't consider myself an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. I recently bought the Marantz M-CR610, which I bought mainly because it's all-in-one system that offers all the features I need at a relatively low pricepoint. But it's not what most here would consider audiophile hardware. I've never been into LPs, not least because I'm too young to experience any nostalgia about it. But I am old fashioned in the sense that I prefer to listen to whole albums on a loop. I do so by means of physical CDs(!) and via Airplay from a NAS.

In short: I have no idea into which camp I fall.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Never liked camping much.

Maybe it comes across differently if I read the actual article, but I also get the impression he has no idea about who the mainstream music lover actually is.

tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
Al ears said:
What? A highly respected hifi critic / editor. Surley not? *biggrin*

Oh, I don't think he's being surly: he's just trying to conjure up some kind of simplistic distinction I don't think exists.

My mistake, that should have read surely.... mind you surley he may be.. Cannot say really as never have had the pleasure of meeting the gent.
regular_smile.gif

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
KeyMs92 said:
Hmmm... I wouldn't consider myself a mainstream music lover (especially not contemporary), and I'm also not really into multi-room systems (i.e. Sonos). But then, I also wouldn't consider myself an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. I recently bought the Marantz M-CR610, which I bought mainly because it's all-in-one system that offers all the features I need at a relatively low pricepoint. But it's not what most here would consider audiophile hardware. I've never been into LPs, not least because I'm too young to experience any nostalgia about it. But I am old fashioned in the sense that I prefer to listen to whole albums on a loop. I do so by means of physical CDs(!) and via Airplay from a NAS.

You sir, are an anomaly, who should be captured and preserved for future study.
regular_smile.gif

Kudos with respect to listening to full albums. Respect.

LDTM

LDTM said:
KeyMs92 said:

You sir, are an anomaly, who should be captured and preserved for future study.

Kudos with respect to listening to full albums. Respect.

LDTM

+1 Well done that man! (Apologies but this may in fact be totally incorrect - we do get a few of the female persuasion on here *biggrin*) It really is the only way to listen to some music.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Al ears said:

Oh, I don't think he's being surly: he's just trying to conjure up some kind of simplistic distinction I don't think exists.

My mistake, that should have read surely.... mind you surley he may be.. Cannot say really as never have had the pleasure of meeting the gent.

He posts a lot, though irregularly, on the PFM forum. He's always struck me as a decent and reasonable bloke, and unusually candid for a journo, insofar as he's quite happy to admit that he writes what he writes in order to sell magazines.

He's also very well informed about the state of the hi-fi business. I suspect he doesn't fully believe this "two camps" stuff.

matt49 said:
Al ears said:
Al ears said:

He posts a lot, though irregularly, on the PFM forum. He's always struck me as a decent and reasonable bloke, and unusually candid for a journo, insofar as he's quite happy to admit that he writes what he writes in order to sell magazines.

He's also very well informed about the state of the hi-fi business. I suspect he doesn't fully believe this "two camps" stuff.

'Don't they all?' would be my response to the first highlight.

He is indeed very well informed, I always look with interest at anything he writes / reviews, and he is one amongst only a handful that I would class as notable.

He may indeed have made the statement with 'tongue in cheek' but perhaps he has noted the ipod / Dr Dre's brigade versus the attentive listener subdivisions and I thought it might make interesting debate.

I know which camp I am firmly entrenched in.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
He may indeed have made the statement with 'tongue in cheek' but perhaps he has noted the ipod / Dr Dre's brigade versus the attentive listener subdivisions and I thought it might make interesting debate.

I know which camp I am firmly entrenched in.

I'm not sure the two camps you describe here are the same as Alan S.'s two camps. Or let me put it another way. I use Sonos (Connect Amps and Connects), and it does a great job. A couple of my Connects have been modded and make excellent digital sources into an external DAC. Now this obviously isn't what Alan S. had in mind when he used Sonos to define one of his two camps. What he had in mind was the Sonos speakers. (I say this with confidence because I discussed exactly this point with him on PFM a month or two ago.)

So I'm a Sonos user; I don't do hi-res and am perfectly happy with CD quality; but Alan S. would class me as an audiophile, and you'd class me as an "attentive listener".

Categories are tricky little blighters.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Alan is a first-rate guy and certainly knows his hi-fi onions, whether you agree with what he says or not.

+1

He seems like a really nice chap and posts some very interesting comments on the PFM forum which are worth reading. His forum comments come accross as being very objective, honest and extremely knollegable on the forum and are often totally different to the audiophile foo that he writes for the magazine (he openly admits on the forum that what's in the magazine is what people want to read and what will sell but is not what he necessary believes himself).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts