Which Cable & Turntable on a budget ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

After alot of umminng & ahhing about which components to go for I plumped for the following for a short term solution.

Sourced a pair of ex-demo B&W 601 S3, heard them against a pair of Monitor Audio BR2's.

B&W's won hands down IMHO. The BR2's were DULL in comparison.
(Listened to them with a Rotel RA-04 & RCD-06.)

Also picked up Marantz PM6002 & CD6002 as preferred to the Rotel kit during another demo.

So now I need your expert opinion regarding which Speaker Cable & Interconnects to go for.
Been thinking of :

Speaker Cable : Chord Company Carnival Silver Plus ~£5
Interconnects : Chord Company Crimson ~£40

or

Speaker Cable : QED Silver Anniversay XT ~£5
Interconnects : QED Performance 2 ~£40

Should I pay a bit more for Atlas Equator ~£50

BI-WIRE ??

& Still not decided on TT, it's between:
Project Expression III 2M Red (£325) or Rega P3 Elys2 Blue (£500)
Difficult to gauge whether the Rega justifies the £175 price difference as shops stock either or.

Look forward to your replies,

ssvirk

p.s. Everybody keeps saying let your ears be the judge which is fair enough, but its difficult if the shop does not accommodate your combinations. Particularly annoying when you ask a shop for their opinion, the fob you off with it's personal preference but then when you want to try a few things they don't seem to be happy to help, maybe I'm not spending enough for better service - END OF RANT

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ssvirk"]roject Expression III 2M Red (£325) or Rega P3 Elys2 Blue (£500)
Difficult to gauge whether the Rega justifies the £175 price difference as shops stock either or.[/quote]
Given your setup, I would say that the extra for the Rega might be difficult to justify. Not that I'm dissing your amp - I have that model myself.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ssvirk"]
Hi All,

After alot of umminng & ahhing about which components to go for I plumped for the following for a short term solution.

Sourced a pair of ex-demo B&W 601 S3, heard them against a pair of Monitor Audio BR2's.

B&W's won hands down IMHO. The BR2's were DULL in comparison.
(Listened to them with a Rotel RA-04 & RCD-06.)

Also picked up Marantz PM6002 & CD6002 as preferred to the Rotel kit during another demo.

So now I need your expert opinion regarding which Speaker Cable & Interconnects to go for.
Been thinking of :

Speaker Cable : Chord Company Carnival Silver Plus ~£5
Interconnects : Chord Company Crimson ~£40

or

Speaker Cable : QED Silver Anniversay XT ~£5
Interconnects : QED Performance 2 ~£40

Should I pay a bit more for Atlas Equator ~£50

BI-WIRE ??

& Still not decided on TT, it's between:
Project Expression III 2M Red (£325) or Rega P3 Elys2 Blue (£500)
Difficult to gauge whether the Rega justifies the £175 price difference as shops stock either or.

Look forward to your replies,

ssvirk

p.s. Everybody keeps saying let your ears be the judge which is fair enough, but its difficult if the shop does not accommodate your combinations. Particularly annoying when you ask a shop for their opinion, the fob you off with it's personal preference but then when you want to try a few things they don't seem to be happy to help, maybe I'm not spending enough for better service - END OF RANT

[/quote]

Buy from somewhere you get a TT audition rather than these short-sighted numpties. Talk about them cutting off their noses etc

A

Anonymous

Hey,

Thanks for your replies.

Anybody got any views on the Speaker Cables & Interconnects?

I like a brighter sound & was told today that Silver Speaker cable would enhance this.

Any views on Speaker Stands & Equipment Racks too - Atacama ??

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ssvirk"]Hey, Thanks for your replies. Anybody got any views on the Speaker Cables & Interconnects? I like a brighter sound & was told today that Silver Speaker cable would enhance this. Any views on Speaker Stands & Equipment Racks too - Atacama ??[/quote]

Yeah, Atacama racks are very nice, quality kit. They do speaker stands too I think. Other speaker stands worth checking out are Soundstyle Z2s (cheap but not nasty) and Partington Super Dreadnoughts (bit pricier).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts