Which budget hi-fi amplifier?

I'm going to install some ceiling speakers in my bedroom for Sonos. I thought I might as well use these speakers for my bedroom TV. I'm thinking of getting a ZP90 & a budget hi-fi amplifier to allow for simple source selection in the bedroom. The ceiling speakers are going to be Speakcraft.

Any suggestions for a good budget amplifier? I was thinking of Marantz PM5003 / PM6003 & others in the price range.

My dealer has advised against that route because of 3-5 second delay incurred by running the TV audio through the sonos system. Besides, it'll be an introduction to proper hi-fi for me
emotion-5.gif

I heard the Rotel during the Big Question at WHF few months ago. It sounded really nice, although a little bright to my taste. Can I control audio through a universal remote, considering the Rotel doesn't come with one?

matthewpiano

Ah, I don't think the RA-04SE even has the remote sensor on it, so no, unfortunately. You would have to get the RA-05SE and that isn't anything like such good value for money.

In that case I'd seriously consider the Marantz PM6003. Excellent amplifier for the money. You might also want to try the NAD C326BEE, although I found this a bit muddy at the bass end and the build isn't a patch on the Marantz.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I would go for the PM6003. It is more musical than the RA-04SE and the midrange is better. The RA-04SE is also a bit too aggressive sounding for my taste.

But this is all my opinion. Go listen and compare
emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

Actually, the new 350A is a cracking, musical amplifier although it lacks the resolution of the PM6003. The 550A and 650A are very open and detailed but can get overly bright and clinical. If you find the Rotel on the bright side, the 550A and 650A are another big step in that direction again.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
actually my SR10 topaz is more powerfull than the A350, has more grunt on bass and is not so edgy on the treble as the 550 and 650.it is a very nice sounding and not expensive (and with tuner in it) little amp.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss:Thanks. I'll compare the Marantz PM6003, NAD C326BEE & Rotel RA-04SE. What about Cambridge Audio?

I have a Cambridge Audio 640aV2 which I picked up from Richer Sounds in the clearance corner for £120, if you can find one for that price I would certainly recommend it as a fine buy. The CA has real depth to what it presents you with and would argue it's as good as an Audiolab 8000s I once owned, although I would say the Audio had a bit more heft whereas the CA has more rhythm!

northernsoul:

I have a Cambridge Audio 640aV2 which I picked up from Richer Sounds in the clearance corner for £120, if you can find one for that price I would certainly recommend it as a fine buy. The CA has real depth to what it presents you with and would argue it's as good as an Audiolab 8000s I once owned, although I would say the Audio had a bit more heft whereas the CA has more rhythm!

Actually, I was very interested in this amp, currently available for £89.95, but it's only available in a couple of stores & that too in London. Also, it's only available in black, & I want silver.

ear:actually my SR10 topaz is more powerfull than the A350, has more grunt on bass and is not so edgy on the treble as the 550 and 650.it is a very nice sounding and not expensive (and with tuner in it) little amp.

A direct comparison won't be possible, because my dealer is not Richer Sounds. But I'll have a listen to the SR10 as well. Thanks!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
hum..think they are substituting the AX-397 and the AX-497...there is also respective stereo receivers coming out.I just dont like the big tone controls...when not on "zero" they look very ugly and are very easy to desregulate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts