Which amp to partner with my speakers?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey all, i've posted this in the home cinema section but it's dead quiet there today, so i'll chuck it in here, too.

Ok, so im after an AV amp to partner my Tannoy Eyris 5.1 speakers, that'll have a massive cinematic sound. My old amp is a Sony DAV-SC8, which went loud, but didn't have much depth to it and dialogue became quite brittle at higher volumes. I want to avoid this with the next amp. I'd like it to have massive depth to it's bass, for the big action movies and have a realistic clear dialogue. £800 is my budget.

This amp will only be for home cinema duties, no music.

Oh, one other thing: It would be a massive bonus if the amps that are suggested have 2 optical ins and 2 Hdmi outs, to feed the tv and projector (saves having to go round the back of the cabinet to change cable every time I want to get the big screen out!)

Many thanks!

Brett

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Cheers, buddy! Not thought bout Onkyo. Thats a good shout, though. It looks like it ticks all the boxes. Do they still run stupidly hot though, I wonder? The new amps gonna be going into a new, closed-door, AV cabinet so it could be a problem if they are still a bit toasty.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
On my opinion Onkyo produces best AV receivers in the market. My last one was 3008 and it was running very very hot even in standby mode. I don't think much has changed since then. If that is your critical issue then Yamaha or Pioneer are not much worse and you can find a decent AV amp from their product line based on your budget and feature set.

TRENDING THREADS