Which amp for my setup?

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
basically, I have a pair of Quad Lite Bookshelf speakers and I want to make use of them in my Bedroom (they're just gathering dust) I have an Airport Express in the bedroom too.

So - which amp is my best option? If I go for one with an optical in to connect via Toslink, and bypass the express' DAC then I'm looking at an expensive amp.

If i go for connection via 3.5mm jack - stereo RCA cable, then any stereo amp is an option.

What is my best option? thinking of a budget of say - £200-£250.

I've noticed superfi have an Onkyo A 91550 on offer (as a start point)

I did consider the Fatman iTube but it's only diigital is via USB which the express doesn't offer.

All help and opinions warmly welcomed.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
actually - another option which I might be favouring:

Beresford Caiman DAC to connect to the express + 'insert brand and model here' stereo Amp

so, baring in mind it's for a bedroom setup and the size of the speakers - which stereo amp would fit nicely between the Beresford and the speakers?

or is this OTT????

all help wanted and needed

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
argh!!!

ok - after a bit more browsing - I think I might even spring for the Firestone Spitfire Mk II

but...which amp though?!

A

Anonymous

2nd hand NAD C320BEE via eBay, or possibly an Arcam Alpha 9 (if you can find one within budget)

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
do you think the spitfire is overkill?

The NAD seems good - there's a few on various forums for sale so I could pick up one of these at some point by the looks of it :)

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Think I've found the soloution - all-in-one:

Onkyo AV5L- seems as though it will do all my needs and no need for a seperate DAC

opinions?

T

the record spot

Opinions vary on the Onkyo, WHF gave it a 3 star review, Hi Fi World a 4. The Spitfire II DAC is excellent, not sure you can still find it for £150, but shop around and you might get it for that. Otherwise, it's £250.

Apart from the Onkyo, you can use the AE DAC without worry - it's very good for the money. I found it a better option for my tastes in a straight race between it and the Cambridge DACMagic (bright, brittle, but plenty of connections). Take your pick from any number of amps out there if you're planning to use the AE or an offboard DAC - there's some great choices for the money you've got to play with.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
cheers for that. i saw your comments about the AE dac v's tha CA and it gave me confidence in it :)

if i stick with theAE DAC and run a 3.5mm-stereo cable, if you were to spend up to £200 on an integrated for my setup what would you suggest?

really value your opinion

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
for example:

I can get a Marantz PM6003 for circa £240 and use the onboard DAC of the AE

or

Could get something like the Onkyo AV5l for pretty much the same money and bypass the onboard DAC of the AE

what do you think?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts