Which amp and cdp for Spendor A5

A

Anonymous

doesnt steve750 have a roksan kandy k2 with his spendors ?

A

Anonymous

Having heard both I thought Naim a better solution than the Cyrus. A little bit fuller and not quite as forward.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
The B&W has a full bodied sound, but too dull. the MA (after longer listening indeed the rx6 is better than de rx8) don't have this.

The Spendor isn't dull, but has more body. And i find the highs of the spendor better.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree that the Spendors will work very well with Cyrus but with your taste in music and the recordings you have I think the Naim gear would be the way to go...

IMO the Naim Nait 5i or Nait XS amps would be superb along side the Cyrus 8SE CDP and good speaker cable such as the Chord Odyssey 4 and Cyrus's own interconnects

A

Anonymous

johnnyjazz:Sugden.
...you get a lot of bang for your buck, don't you Johnny...

A

Anonymous

igglebert:johnnyjazz:Sugden. ...you get a lot of bang for your buck, don't you Johnny... Why don,t you push the knife in all the way down to the handle, put me out of my misery
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

johnnyjazz:igglebert:johnnyjazz:Sugden. ...you get a lot of bang for your buck, don't you Johnny... Why don,t you push the knife in all the way down to the handle, put me out of my misery
emotion-9.gif

If it's any consolation, mine went pop last week.

A

Anonymous

Hope you got it fixed iggle, hopefully mine should be fixed by tomorrow. I,m not in the mood for listening to music, but the fact that i can,t kind of annoys me, strange.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
poldo:
so peterpan,

you think the spendor has more body then the rx6, also in the bottom end?

That I WOULDNT agree with

The OP has already said his music recordings arent very good so I think the Spendor/Naim/Cyrus sound would be less brutal rather than say the Monitor Audio/NAD or Arcam sound...

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
that's why I asked it, i think with rock/metal you would be better of with Monitor Audio / NAD, I think Spendor/Cyrus will give a bit of thin sound for rock/metal

A

Anonymous

Completely biased but I originally had B&W CM7 and hated them with the Cyrus - moved to Spendor and they are a beautiful match - good grunt fantastically uncoloured and wonderful highs

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:I'm another one in the Naim camp. Just after Xmas I heard the Naim XS/Cyrus 8CDP with the A5s and it sound pretty impressive. A little while ago, I auditioned Roksan Caspian with Spendor SA-1 which sounded very good.

I am considering adding a Naim Power Amp (NAP 200) to my Cyrus CD/Pre-Amp front end. Hoping to listen within a week. Am I mad? Listening to them with some Spendors as well as my Dynaudios. I have a feeling that, cable issues notwithstanding, it might just gel superbly and make a cracking CD/Pre-power...

SteveR750

I much prefer the Kandy/Spendor combination, even over the Cyrus 8XPd. The Kandy just has more substance to the sound, whilst the Curus is agile and fast, it's just too lean for me, and all a bit gutless. I auditioned all of the Cyrus stuff including monoblocs, a XTe transport with the separate psxr and it was pretty fantastic, but that was nearly 9Ks worth of gear. I'm afraid the 8XPd lasted all of 2 hours in my 4 day home demo, which tells you how much I preferred the Kandy.

For whatever reason it doesn't have many fans on this forum, but this is one instance where I agreed completely with WHF's review, its a fantastic piece of kit, and you can pick up ex demo ones off fleabay for under £700 at which price its a ridiculous bargain.

TRENDING THREADS