Which £5k speaker

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I am currently auditioning Dali helicon 400 and will also listen to the focal 1027be. Neither are perfect but both sound fantastic.

Just wondered if anyone had come across these speakers or any alternative

I listed to anything from grunge to classical.

regards

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Helicon is an excellent speaker as it really does perform with everything. If you like that sound you may wish to try the Tannoy Definition DC10 as it does very similar things and might take the sound in a slightly better direction for you. Another option that is similar again is the Kef Reference 203. I can think of other good £5k speakers but with your electronics and speaker choice so far these would be next on my audtion list.

neil fd2

May 12, 2008
Visit site
ART stuff is well worth a listen if you can find a dealer near you. Wouldn`t go for anything else personally & God knows i`ve tried more than a few brands in the last couple of years. Check out older posts on here. It would appear they`re not everyones cup of tea though but if you`re going to spend that much money you really should add them to the list. Maybe monitor audio pl200`s, had the pl100`s & they were pretty good. The choice of speakers in that price range is pretty expansive. I`d be checking out as many as i could before parting with that much.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Plenty of choice! There's the KEF Reference 203/2 or 205/2, Monitor Audio Platinum PL200, PMC Fact 8 or OB1i, Spendor A9, Dynaudio Contour S3.4, Mordaunt Short Performance 6LE, Neat Ultimatum MF5, ProAc D38 or D38r. Some of those you'll find better all rounders than others, but I'm generally not one who subscribes to certain speakers being better for certain types of music - sometimes it's how you want to hear certain music genres. We're all different.

I don't doubt that your MF could drive all of the above speakers, but I think there would be different degrees of success. One of the most important things is which one gels with your amplifier better.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
How about adding ATC to the list? for about 5K you can get active 20s or (slightly more expensive) passive 50s. Find a good deal on active 20 and get a sub - will be about the budget. If you are OK with second hand you can get active 50s and that is a mega speaker. passive 40s are also good and leave budget for a good sub.

If you have not tried active ATCs - try before you commit your 5K. that is a good budget and deserves careful selection. do not rush. listen to as many as you can and then some more. big, small, nice or ugly.

A

Anonymous

Great choices of selection David.

A home audition or alternatively an audition with your electronics is a must imo at this price point.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:How about adding ATC to the list?

I presumed that because the OP has a £2.5k amplifier, they wouldn't be looking at active speakers
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

40s and a sub? That would shake the foundations! If only I had the space! Oh ,and the money!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
I've not found the SCM40's to be comparable to the best at the £4,000/5,000 price point, an a sub wouldn't really change that as it's not the sub bass area I'm referring to.

Why would you find the scm40 to be less capable than the best at £4-5k speakers if not in the area of bass performance?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MattSPL:Why would you find the scm40 to be less capable than the best at £4-5k speakers if not in the area of bass performance?

Many ways. We have a lot of speakers up to the £5/6k price point, so naturally we do a lot of dems. Some people want to try certain cheaper speakers to make sure they're not paying more than they ned to - the SCM40 doesn't compete with them.

A

Anonymous

Mordaunt-Short Performance 6, or better still, Performance 6 LE, and keep the change.

Otherwise, Monitor Audio PL300.

Dan.

millerman:
I am currently auditioning Dali helicon 400 and will also listen to the focal 1027be. Neither are perfect but both sound fantastic.

Just wondered if anyone had come across these speakers or any alternative

I listed to anything from grunge to classical.

regards

Hi millerman

ATC's SCM40 are worth considering as they can still show some costlier rivals a thing or two. Monitor Audio's PL200, PL300 and (if you are prepared to stretch your budget) ATC's SCM50's are all also worth considering.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
You should add the Usher Mini Dancer 2 with the new DMD tweeter to your list for audition. Performance would be right up there with change left over.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

MattSPL:Why would you find the scm40 to be less capable than the best at £4-5k speakers if not in the area of bass performance?

Many ways. We have a lot of speakers up to the £5/6k price point, so naturally we do a lot of dems. Some people want to try certain cheaper speakers to make sure they're not paying more than they ned to - the SCM40 doesn't compete with them.

David can you give me a few examples as am a baffled by this assertion.

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input I have a fantastic list to go and check out.

I can confirm that my local hifi shop is a fantastic in lending stuff out to try and have not put any pressure on me one way or the other. In fact they have given me the same advice many have given me here.

One lesson I have learnt by borrowing the Dalis is that it takes time to appreciate a speaker properly. Shop demos therefore can be dangerous as first impressions quickly fade after a a few listening sessions.

Anyway thanks again for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts