WHFSV Review of Kef Q500/Q700 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
WHFSV

Any plans for a full review of the new Kef Q500 and Q700 ? Or better still a supertest of floorstanders in the price bracket inc. the new Kefs and the MA RX6 and RX 8 ?

Many thanks

Mark

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well as previously mentioned we've got a review of the KEF Q300 as our lead First Test in the January issue (being posted to subscribers tomorrow; in shops by 9th) - others in range will follow, as well group/supertests in each category.

(In fact we have a major speaker test - including KEF Qs - planned for our Feb issue, on sale Jan 9th).

A

Anonymous

Thank you Clare. I must have missed the previous mention of the KEF Q300 in the Jan issue.

I particularly look forward to the major speaker test in the Feb issue, especially if it contains the KEF Q500 and MA RX6. I think the KEF Q700 and MA RX8 may just be a little too big/overpowering for my room.

Many thanks

Mark

A

Anonymous

Pete

Thank you very much for pointing me to this link. Most interesting. I note that you're also running a Denon 2310 as your AV amp, as am I. The only difference is I'm running my front L/R channels out to a Musical Fidelity A3CR Power Amp, so I wonder whether this will make much difference.

I am planning on auditioning the KEFs and the MAs soon, but as always, it's good to hear other people favorable opinions too.

Many thanks.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chiswick,

Just a quick update.......these Q500's are really warming up now.....awesome sound with my cd player.

Can't believe the bass, clarity and detail these speakers are now producing........

They are a must audition......especially as your running the same Denon amp.....

A

Anonymous

Clare

I read the quite favourable review of the KEF Q300's in the January issue. Do you have a timeline for reviewing the Q500 and/or Q700 in the foreseeable future also ?

Many thanks

Mark

A

Anonymous

I've the Q700's since Februari 28th playing with a Denon PMA 2000AE. Very impressive combination. Now I'm saving my money for new CD player from Denon to make this set complete. If I can help with some info about the Q700's or Denon please let me know.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As mentioned on other threads. we've got reviews of others in the Q range coming up (including AV set-up) from our very next issue (on sale next week)....

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
KEF 700Q are poor musically compared to far better B & W CM8 , I have just auditioned both side by side and found the mid range of the KEF virtually unlistenable for Classical music the strings are very edgy as mentioned in a current review of the KEF Q900 in April HFN , amplifier used for demonstration was by Roksan.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
"Very poor"? That's a bold statement. I'm a full believer of people having their own opinions, but this seems a little excessive - they're hardly 'unlistenable'.

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

What amplifier did you hear the KEF's and B&W's on?

matthewpiano

I don't find any of the new Q range edgy at all if they are matched properly. I've heard the Q100, Q300, Q500 and Q700 and been very impressed with all of them. To get the best out of them I feel they need to be bi-wired using a multi-strand copper cable (Chord Carnival Silverscreen works very well).

My favourite of the range is the Q300. Positioned with plenty of space around them on good stands, and connected as described above, they combine pace and detail with impressive depth and authority, and a great sense of atmosphere and involvement. Great speakers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:I think you've tried that line already recently, it got removed then, hopefully it'll get removed again.

+1

It's in really bad taste no matter what anyone thinks of the 'speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
highfidelity:Raymond Cooke founder of KEF must be turning over in his grave if he could hear these latest po0r quality KEF speakers have a listen to the B & W CM8's
Raymond Cooke's company was built on research and development, and pushing boundaries. There may have been a point in the 90's when things went a bit South, but they're back on track and producing some excellent loudspeakers (through R&D I might add). I think he'd be quite proud.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Raymond Cooke's company was built on research and development, and pushing boundaries. There may have been a point in the 90's when things went a bit South, but they're back on track and producing some excellent loudspeakers (through R&D I might add). I think he'd be quite proud.

Blithe+Spirit+%281945%29.jpg

Things were a bit quiet in the Frank Harvey showroom that morning, so...

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
KEF Q700 I agree I should have said virtually unlistenable for Classical music , bi-wire ? Spendor & others do not bi-wire their speakers.. The amplifier used for the demonstration was Roksan.

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I have been fortunate having spoken many times with Raymond Cooke(Kef) Peter Walker (Quad) Jim Rodgers(Rodgers) Spence Hughes (Spendor) Dudley Harwood Harbeth), you should know if the Roksan amplifier is a good match for the Kef 700 as you stock Roksan ,it certainly was a good match for B & W. CM8..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
highfidelity:I do not know if the Roksan is a good match for the KEF Q700, you should know as you stock Roksan ,it certainly was a good match for B&W. CM8..
Then how can you know that the KEF's sound that bad if you don't know if they suit the amplifier? A bad amplifier/speaker match can destroy the end result.

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Roksan integrated is considered to be a very good amplifier, (What Hi-Fi ? rate it 5 stars) why would it not be suitable for the KEF Q700. ? HFN in their April review of the KEF Q900 used a different amplifier ,they commented on the edgy strings and only gave the KEF's a low 70% sound rating.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Just because a product is considered good (an opinion), it doesn't mean it's going to suit certain other products. Strings wee pre one of the things I liked about the Q900's. Not all of us want to fall asleep to our music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts