WHFSV - Different amp for Front L/R and centre - Advice needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
WHFSV

I'm using a Denon 2310 AV receiver for my home cinema duties, currently without a centre speaker. I'm now looking to get new L&R speakers and a matching centre. However I currently run front L&R channels from the 2310 via a Musical Fidelity A3CR power amplifier for stereo duties. My concern is when I get new L&R & centre speakers and run the L&R channels via the MF power amp and the centre from the centre channel of the Denon 2310, am I risking getting a significant imbalance in sound/tone in doing this ?

I'd rather not take the MF power amp out of the equation as it really makes a big difference when I'm just listening to stereo music, but I would really appreciate your advice either way.

Many thanks.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
The only real answer is to try it. Every room has different acoustics, it may make no difference or it may disappoint, only you can be the judge.

A

Anonymous

chudleighpaul. Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate how room dynamics/acoustics can affect any sound and do/will take this into account.

I'm also hoping one of the WHFSV writers can give me some advice from their experience as I'm sure they've probably seen/heard setups such as I'm suggesting and can hopefully give me some educated/experienced feedback/advice.

Also, anyone else who is running a seperate power amp for their L&R channels and using the AV receivers on-board amp section for the centre speaker, will hopefully also be able to share their experiences on this one.

Many thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Chiswick:
WHFSV

I'm using a Denon 2310 AV receiver for my home cinema duties, currently without a centre speaker. I'm now looking to get new L&R speakers and a matching centre. However I currently run front L&R channels from the 2310 via a Musical Fidelity A3CR power amplifier for stereo duties. My concern is when I get new L&R & centre speakers and run the L&R channels via the MF power amp and the centre from the centre channel of the Denon 2310, am I risking getting a significant imbalance in sound/tone in doing this ?

I'd rather not take the MF power amp out of the equation as it really makes a big difference when I'm just listening to stereo music, but I would really appreciate your advice either way.

Many thanks.

No. I have this set up and with my present amp and my previous, no issues.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
It isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned. The benefits of running a separate stereo amp outweigh any of the potential disadvantages anyway. In practice, I find that the centre speaker tends to carry most of the dialogue, whereas the left and right kick in when the music soundtrack intervenes, so they are doing different jobs most of the time. I'd go for it!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Agreed with Sorreltiger, but the set-up is different when using a stereo integrated amp, though which music sources can be routed independently of the AV amp, as opposed to simply running a stereo power amp on the front-channel preouts of the AV amp, as the OP is doing.

That said, the Audyssey MultEQ on the Denon should level out most of the tonal differences between the onboard amplification and the external power amp.

A

Anonymous

Andrew et al

Thank you very much for your advice.

I will forge ahead with my search for new speakers (front L&R and centre), feeling much less concerned about any negative effects resulting from my setup.

Many thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts