WHF Team - Been given nod for brand new home cinema! Though need help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Evening all,

New to the site and the av world, and have just been given the nod to get an all singing and dancing home cinema.

I've done a little research and have come up with the following:

Speakers: KEF KHT3005 K2

Blu Ray: Pioneer BDP-320

AV Receiver: Denon AVR1910

TV: Sony KDL37W5500

(Would these all work together ok?)

My budget is about £2.5k... as this is the first time in 10 years we are upgrading (though want this to last another 10!). But I'm wondering is this the best setup I can get for the money? As we want small speakers with great sound. We looked at the Bose V20, we liked the size, but after reading forums it seems that for that kind of money we can getting something just as good if not better.

Oh, we also have a funny shaped room, its L-shaped, size 16x21ft... just thought that would be work mentioning.

Answers on a postcard please.

Cheers,

Paul

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
If you want it to last 10 years, you may want to consider a bigger screen. If you're trading up for the first time in several years, 37" may seem huuuuge, but the trend is to go bigger, and you may find the screen being the first thing that noticeably needs an upgrade. I've yet to fully investigate (as a flouroscent-tube back-lit LCD owner, perhaps I'm afraid), but the LED lit screens seem to be the way of the foreseeable future, and avoid some of the uneven backlighting...

Otherwise, the 40w5710 (which is identical to the 40w5500, save for some cosmetic tweaks to deign it an "exclusive to JL" model) is available for £999 from John Lewis, but importantly, is offered for £899 if you trade-in an old set, and comes with a five-year guarantee and Sony's excellent budget blu-ray player for free.... It may be worth considering...

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys... though a couple more questions!

Besides John Lewis where else would you advise to purchase the rest of the stuff for the best prices? Richer Sounds or scour the internet (but if anyone can advise of tried and trusted internet places that would be great!)

Also will those KEF speakers be ok for the surround sound in my L-shape room?

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

OH and before I foget to ask, is there a blue ray player with a hard drive so I can record stuff on to it?

:)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
With today's Audessey calibration, odd-shaped rooms are less of an issue (although with Denons, it's generally better to run the calibrations to get the distances right, then turn off all Audessey settings, as they cramp the amp's style).

Richer sounds should be able to supply the amp and speakers, but you're generally better to listen before you buy - and it's a big no-no to listen in a real shop and then get a bargain online!

As for a BDP with a hard drive - Panasonic do some but they're stupidly expensive (better to link it up to a DVD recorder or get sky plus).

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:
With today's Audessey calibration, odd-shaped rooms are less of an issue (although with Denons, it's generally better to run the calibrations to get the distances right, then turn off all Audessey settings, as they cramp the amp's style).

er... could you make that simple for me. have no idea what that means? lol still new to all of this... i know a little about nothing! <smile>

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
basically, the amp comes with a small microphone which you plug in an place at head height in the sitting area. The speakers, one by one, make loud popping and rumbling noises, and the amplifier then calibrates how far your sitting position is from each speaker and sets up the amp so that the sound from all speakers reaches you at the right time. This system also acts as a processor for the sound e.g. makes adverts sound less loud, and irons out hugh swings in noise generally, but I don't like what it does - I think it muddles up the sound, so once I have my speaker distances set, I turn off the Audessy settings. Hope that's clearer!

A

Anonymous

loud and clear lol

so the KEFs I mentioned should be ok for that then? Nothing else you'd advise for the money or the same for cheaper?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
those Kefs will be excellent (a mate had the other 3005 package and it was impressive for style speakers), although you may want to consider checking out the B&W MT25 package (I'm a big B&W fan!), which I haven't heard.

A

Anonymous

whats the pros and cons of both? which would be the best?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Not having listened to the B&W and only heard the 3005 in passing, I couldn't really say. Perhaps call a dealer and arrange a demo? Although there's nowt wrong with the KEFs.

A

Anonymous

If you are decided on that receiver and speaker package I'd be surprised if you could better this offer:

http://www.hispek.com/P/DenonKef-AVR1910-3005SEBPACK-Home-Cinema-Package-in-Black(AVR19103005SEBPACK).aspx

I'm off to demo and more than likely pick up the Denon 2310 and Kef AV50 speaker package. I've spent hours trawling the internet and haven't come up with any other websites that can get anywhere near to this offer. One thing I will point out is you have to collect in store. On a positive note at least you can try before you buy!
emotion-21.gif

Even with the 200+ mile round trip I'm going to have to make, this is still the best offer I can find out there for this package. If anyone knows of a better one please let me know!

A

Anonymous

I've seen those speakers for £730 if you want them in silver:

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku.lasso?&item=7c3735e5ed1fcbef18fe5deb077f89d2095222524261062d&rlog=ciao

Say I got my stuff from Richer Sounds... can they organise demos? And can you ask them for best deal?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts