WHF TEAM AND EVERYONE -DEAD SUB MONITOR AUDIO BRW10

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone

I think my BRW10 is no longer in this world.[:mad:]

My system just wasn't sounding right over the past few days, [:S]so i decided to investigate last night.

Checking the amp settings and switches on the back of the sub etc........

I found that the BRW10 power light wasn't on [:'(]

If i switched it on and off the power light would briefly go green then red and then off again all within the space of a second. Nothing i tryed will give me a constant power light.

I am not aware if the sub has a safe mode. It has not been pushed hard recently anyway.

If it is finished do i repair or replace ,with another BRW10 if i can get one, or get a BXW10.

Going to contact dealer tomorrow as they are closed today.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
poolmaster:

If it is finished do i repair or replace ,with another BRW10 if i can get one, or get a BXW10.

If it is still under warranty, get it repaired. If it isn't, there are several subs to consider - depending on your budget.

I wasn't personally impressed with the BRW10, but if it sounds great to you, well and good.

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi cheers for the reply

Only 1 year warranty I'm afraid.
emotion-9.gif

The sub is about 18-20 months old i thought it would last a bit longer than this. If this turns out to be the average life span of a sub, the budget is going to be no more than the price of this one !

Was thinking of another BRW10 so it matches with the rest of the package both musically and visually The new BRX10 isn't finished in "cherry"

Paul.

I went for a REL T3, to go with my BR setup, similar money, sounds better, has a high level connection so is better for music, and has a 3 year warranty. They can be had for £250 ish.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs:I went for a REL T3, They can be had for £250 ish.

Really? Where are you buying them from? Is the T3 the smallest one? I don't think I've seen that for less than 300 quid anywhere.

Paul.

Peter Tyson has them at £249, yep its the dinky one. Plenty of power for a 5x5m living room. I got mine from Sevenoaks for £250 in december, but we got a deal as I bought it at the same time my Dad bought his 808

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oh ok, I might have a look at that then, I need something small for the SAF, you find it good with music then? I'm not that worried about having huge amounts of bass for movies (anything will be an improvement considering I'm not running with a sub at the moment) but it's got to work with music.

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Cheers for the replys

One of the guys at work says, as the BRW10 is placed on carpet it may be full of dust and this might be triggering the over heating protection in the sub, is this likely?

Everyone is saying replace it, am i to assume the sub has indeed expired?!

I would have expected a much longer life than 18-20 months of relative light use!

Cheers

Poolmaster

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
poolmaster:One of the guys at work says, as the BRW10 is placed on carpet it may be full of dust and this might be triggering the over heating protection in the sub, is this likely?

Anything's possible, don't suppose you can get a hoover nozzle in there to give it a cleaning out?

Everyone is saying replace it, am i to assume the sub has indeed expired?!

I'm not being funny but you can't assume anything and nothing us or your mates might tell you can help, get it sent back to find out what the problem is and if something has blown explain that you don't think 18-20 months is an acceptable lifespan for an electronic product (because it isn't) and you'd like it fixed, free of charge. Be polite and they might just do it.

I would have expected a much longer life than 18-20 months of relative light use!

As you should, that's unacceptable in my view.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
poolmaster:Only 1 year warranty I'm afraid.
emotion-9.gif

The sub is about 18-20 months old i thought it would last a bit longer than this. If this turns out to be the average life span of a sub, the budget is going to be no more than the price of this one !

No, subs last a lot longer than that unless abused, which it seems yours hasn't been. And the length of the warranty is irrelevant: under consumer law you should expect to get much more use out of it than that. I'd contact the dealer where you originally bought the sub.

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the advice

Volume levels have been kept low as not to wake my daughter !! She is only 2 and a half but she knows not to touch daddy's toys, also we have no pets that may have "cocked" a leg up against it when i wasn't looking!!.

Will indeed contact my dealer tomorrow (Music Matters in Stafford), I purchased both the BR5 package and amp from there, they were very helpful then and have given me guidance since my purchase.

Thanks again

Poolmaster

A

Anonymous

I dont understand why it has a 1 year warranty.

I have bought tons of stuff from a place which was ex-demo, and because they are MA approved the full warranty applies.

Why is it 1 year only?

Did you try registering the product with MA on-line? do you still have a store receipt.

I might want to contact MA, I thought it was 5 year warranty, thats what it is on the silvers anyway.

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Canada 16

The sub is not registered on MA online, but i DO have the store receipt, so i hope that will help me a bit.

I am sure it said in the small instruction manual that came with the sub that the warranty was only 1 year, but i will check tonight when i get home
emotion-40.gif

My yamaha amp is the only electrical item i own with a 2 year warranty (other than £17 weather station from Aldi! ) . I Always thought 1 year warranty was the norm unless you paid for an extended warranty . Though before this only brought my electrical goods from comet etc.

Still hopeful of a good result !

cheers

Poolmaster

A

Anonymous

In simple terms:

A warranty is something the manufacturer gives you. A Guarantee was something that law demanded and it said you had 12 months.

That changed a few years ago. Now any item has to be fit for purpose and last as long as one would reasonably expect given the items use and how much it cost.

For example:

42" plasma tv for £50 or 42" plasma tv for £5,000.

Ok so you get better quality picture and other attrivbutes with the £5,000 TV but if it died after 12 months would that be reasonable? I don't think so. £50 TV dead after 12 months... did it really last that long?

So a £500 subwoofer... 12 months? I don't think that's reasonable.

The problem you have now is that most people are blissfuly unaware that the law has changed and you have to argue your case pretty strongly with some retailers. Good luck!

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andrew Steward

Thanks for your thoughts, i am aware to some degree at least, that the law has change recently. The life span is of my sub does seem to be disappointingly short considering it original cost.

Please lets be fair i cannot approach my dealer until tomorrow, so they are unable to help me until they are aware of my problem. The same is also true for Monitor Audio . I am hoping for a fair result without a war and that has every chance of happening.

Cheers

Poolmaster

A

Anonymous

Poolmaster,

Apologies if I was ranting! I think you are correct the guy from music matters that posts on here seems to be very reasonable!

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

Had a result!! Got home tonight and dug out the receipt,- 24 month guarantee !!! with the dealer.

Will be ringing in the morning!!!

Thanks to all

Regards

Poolmaster

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Contacted Music Matters in Stafford in ref to my broken sub

Dropped it off today !!

They phoned Monitor Audio While i was there Monotor Audio are send out a complete new amplifier board from the new bx range!!

so my old sub should repaired in a few days and actually be up graded at the same time!Will let everyone know how it all turns out.

Service so far nothing but first class!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Poolmaster.

poolmaster

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

News on my sub:-
emotion-2.gif

A big thankyou to Music Matters Stafford and Monitor Audio .Got my sub back today all is fine. The customer service from both parties was excellent !!!!!

The sub was actually ready in just two days but i couldn't collect it straight away.

I actually got an upgrade due to the new amplifier board from the new BXW10 being installed into my sub, perfect fit and its sound excellent too

100% happy
emotion-2.gif

Cheers Poolmaster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts