where to buy vinyl?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been buying off Amazon recently, but the last few records have arrived with dog eared corners or the imprint of the record showing through the sleeve. This was not noticeable until it was out the plastic wrapper and too late to send back.

So who sends out quality items in good packaging?

Or is it best to find a good record shop in London (where I live)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I've never had any trouble with packaging from Whatrecords,Rockbox or EIL.
Charity shops and record fayres are worth a walk around for secondhand stuff, cheaper and you can inspect before you buy. Oxfam seem to have a better quality selection looking at the sleeves but are also a fraction more expensive £2.99 against £1.00.
If you buy from local record shops you always save on postage.
There are loads of record shops in Soho.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The last time I bought a record from amazon it came in an oversized box with loads of internal protection so no issues like you had. most companies like HMV, Diverse Vinyl, etc. Do use record boxes as opposed to the cardboard envelopes which offer very little protection to be honest. I think you have to be a bit lucky with the royal mail.........

A

Anonymous

I think you are right Mitch. I tried the amazon Returns procedure. All very straightforward. the replcements have arrived and are in perfect condition.

Thanks for tips on the other shops though. Always good to other suppliers

A

Anonymous

I'd recommend ClassicLPs.co.uk. They have a wide range of new and good quality second-hand records. We have bought quite a few records from them and they have always arrived in excellent condition. Regards, Andrew

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
eBay can be good of course. Some excellent used record shops in the UK if you can find one locally and most are a wonderful experience, though sadly many have closed over the last decade include a couple of excellent ones local to us in Birmingham. Do a search on google shopping as well if you're looking for 180g or 200g audiophile records.

A

Anonymous

Ive bought about a dozen LPs off the ebay, not had any problems yet. Just use the old common sense there. Got some real bargains too.

There are a couple of S/H record shops in Newcastle were you can play the LP before buying. Also there are a few stalls in the local markets. Just make sure you check the vinyl before buying, ( remmember to check for warping!)and that you can return a duffer!

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I really miss the classic record shops where you could play vinyl before buying. Swordfish in Birmingham still have a turntable for listening to some LPs. Nothing like a good classic record shop!

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm really not sure I can openly post this on here, so may get moderated by Clare or Andrew, so sorry if it does but we can get hold of all vinyl if its still being pressed. We purchased most of the stock from a well known vinyl outlet when they left us a few years back.

Regards

A

Anonymous

really sellers should use proper vinyl mailers with stiffners as that was they are less likely to get damaged then. http://www.discogs.com is good for buying all styles of music on vinyl.

A

Anonymous

I still find the odd bargain in Charity shops. As a rule I never walk past one if I can help it.

I have also used Musicstack.com twice with success.

A

Anonymous

Norman records are very good for slightly more leftfield purchaces, as are Alt.Vinyl. I'd be very suprised if you can't find a decent recordshop within striking distance from you (you don't say exactly where you are in london - but rough trade springs to mind).

A

Anonymous

Norman records are very good for slightly more leftfield purchaces, as are Alt.Vinyl. I'd be very suprised if you can't find a decent recordshop within striking distance from you (you don't say exactly where you are in london - but rough trade springs to mind).

TRENDING THREADS