Where/How to purchase in Edinburgh?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Need your quick help and guidance especially for those in Edinburgh. I will be there from 9 to 16 Sep but on a very tight schedule as I will be attending lectures at HW Uni Monday to Sat from 9 am to 5 pm. So I dont think I will have time to go around auditioning for stuff there.

So where and what is the best way to purchase an SBT and Audioquest Dragonfly DAC? I know there is a RS shop somewhere in town but quite sure they dont carry these items. I will be stayingbin Sheraton hotel.

Appreciate your help here.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Last time I was there went into hifi corner very friendly and helpful.

It is about 5 minutes walk from the centre, should be able to find via google.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
thanks big boss. any particular online reseller that you can suggest? or is it just through ebay? what is the RRP nowadays since Logitech has stopped producing them?

Or maybe I should go for Cambridge Audio streamer? This is just for a secondary streamer for the bedroom. Cant be buyng a second MF CLiC yet.

A

Anonymous

I can totally recommend The Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh. Everyone is really clued up and listen to what suits YOUR needs. They'll give you some great advice and ideas. There's no hard sell and their after service is fantastic. They also have a great selection to suit all budgets. You just can't put a price on good friendly service and piece of mind.

Hope this helps.

Tartan Man.
smiley-laughing.gif

El Hefe said:
thanks big boss. any particular online reseller that you can suggest? or is it just through ebay? what is the RRP nowadays since Logitech has stopped producing them?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-930-000089-Squeezebox-Touch/dp/B002N203SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347104773&sr=8-1

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/logitech-squeezebox-touch-wifi-music-player-black-03368678-pdt.html?srcid=867&cmpid=comp~Google~Computing~03368678&istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=mrpwwlp&istBid=t

T

the record spot

Belatedly, another vote for the HCC from me too. Just an excellent shop and always a pleasure to pay it a visit. Nick and the team can't be faulted.

T

the record spot

New, then HMV is the usual option, but for secondhand, try Vinyl Villains just down from the Playhouse Theatre on Elm Row, Hogs Head up on South Clerk Street near the Queen's Hall, there's the excellent Oxfam Music shop in Stockbridge (which is worth a visit itself anyway, lots of nice shops - a village in the city feel to it) and just along from there, there is the Shelter shop which has a decent selection of used CDs. They tend to be my picks.

Sorry about the weather; you should've been here a fortnight ago. As for ther record shops, you should've been here about 30 years ago. Them were the days!

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
New, then HMV is the usual option, but for secondhand, try Vinyl Villains just down from the Playhouse Theatre on Elm Row, Hogs Head up on South Clerk Street near the Queen's Hall, there's the excellent Oxfam Music shop in Stockbridge (which is worth a visit itself anyway, lots of nice shops - a village in the city feel to it) and just along from there, there is the Shelter shop which has a decent selection of used CDs. They tend to be my picks.

Sorry about the weather; you should've been here a fortnight ago. As for ther record shops, you should've been here about 30 years ago. Them were the days!

Didnt have much time today as had to go and purchase items for the wifey and kids first. but managed to pop into Richer Sound and check out the Cambridge Audio NP30. Didnt have a chance to listen to it but just had a friendly chat with the staff there. Still thinking whether to go for SBT or NP30 for a secondary streamer for the bedroom. I like the SBT as it is small. The NP30 is slighty bigger than JB Brennan unit.

HMV however was a disspointment as the LPs stock was not more than 30 pieces. Managed to find one though at 16 quid.

Will check ouut the shops you mentioned above. Thanks a lot.

30 years ago? I just learnt about Lego at that time :)

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Excellent experience at hificorner...it is indeed how all you describe the people there..

I actually called them up Friday morning to purchase Sennheiser CXC700 noise cancellation IEM. Chris was on the line and he mentioned that they only have one unit available in their Falkirk branch. I explained to him that I only have 2 hours on Sat to visit the store in Edinburgh.

So he requested for the Falkirk branch to courier it to Edinburgh with no extra cost to me.

Popped in the shop today at about 4 pm and was impressed with the items they have on display. Chris immediately attended to me and he also recommended a few other earphones to compare with.

Purchased the item...tested it out... and I must say....For GBP 169 (and will be claiming VAT of GBP 28.) ....my Bose QC15 will face a big challenge given this IEM is much smaller than the Bose....

And while waiting for the taxi that Chris arranged, I had a listen to the Naim set up driving to huge B&W speakers....and we chatted a bit on the Clearaudio TT.

Good experience indeed.

Thanks to all who recommended the place.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
El Hefe said:
And while waiting for the taxi that Chris arranged, I had a listen to the Naim set up driving to huge B&W speakers....and we chatted a bit on the Clearaudio TT.

:poke: For somebody who writes such good reviews, you can't leave it at that.......so how did it sound? :)

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
El Hefe said:

:poke: For somebody who writes such good reviews, you can't leave it at that.......so how did it sound? :)

You got me there CNo.

Just finished packing for my return flight home tomorrow.

I listened to the Diamond 800 series. I have never listened Naim driving B&Ws before. Usually (at least in Malaysia), Naim is associated with ProAc or Dyanaudio.

Although it was not a dedicated listening room, the set up sounded like I have never heard before. They were playing Adele on CD and I must say those speakers can really deliver the emotion that Adele is famous for. And its not even a live album but the B&Ws provide this spatial ambience but with very good control on details and also balance between the high and low frequency. There was no sound of stress and the music just sounded very fluid.

The design of the speaker, although unique, is not really my taste. But the sound? Hhhhhhmmmmm....Maybe a second set up is in order for me???? :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
El Hefe said:
You got me there CNo.

Just finished packing for my return flight home tomorrow.

I listened to the Diamond 800 series. I have never listened Naim driving B&Ws before. Usually (at least in Malaysia), Naim is associated with ProAc or Dyanaudio.

Although it was not a dedicated listening room, the set up sounded like I have never heard before. They were playing Adele on CD and I must say those speakers can really deliver the emotion that Adele is famous for. And its not even a live album but the B&Ws provide this spatial ambience but with very good control on details and also balance between the high and low frequency. There was no sound of stress and the music just sounded very fluid.

The design of the speaker, although unique, is not really my taste. But the sound? Hhhhhhmmmmm....Maybe a second set up is in order for me???? :)

Thank you Sir!

You've still got to hear an AMS 35i! >)

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I was actually hoping to find a shop in edinburgh that has AMS35i to demo. Eventhough I am buddies with the sole MF distributor in Malaysia, he does not bring in anything higher than M6 series unless the purchaser puts in a deposit. So I did ask Chris about MF. But they can only help to order items but they dont have MF kit except M1 and V series.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts