where do you get your hi-res music files?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Many people say USB's 16b/44k-48k limiation is an issue. I would think most people use CDs (16b/44k) or worse (mp3, Spotify)...

Apart from a few albums from Linn and some classical music downloads (in giant files) where do people get 24b/96k-192k material? SA-CDs?

A

Anonymous

HDTracks - Their high-res library just keeps growing.
Naim Label
2L - The Nordic Sound

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
IanS1:HDTracks - Their high-res library just keeps growing.
Naim Label
2L - The Nordic Sound

emotion-21.gif
Ditto HD Tracks

A

Anonymous

from the only true domestic hi-res source - high grade black vinyl.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Wow, chainrock, where've you been? Long time no post. Still loving the A5s?

As for hi-res music, for me it comes to just being too picky about my music. I'm very selective and the stuff I buy isn't available in hi-res.

The difference is, to buy hi-res music, you have to start with hi-res as your goal and then buy within those titles. I don't want to limit my selection like that.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

As for hi-res music, for me it comes to just being too picky about my music. I'm very selective and the stuff I buy isn't available in hi-res.

....I don't want to limit my selection like that.

What you want isn't available on Vinyl then ?
emotion-4.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
jaxwired:
The difference is, to buy hi-res music, you have to start with hi-res as your goal and then buy within those titles. I don't want to limit my selection like that.

That's how it is with vinyl for me, always the limitation of availability hi-res digital is no different (bloody niche markets!)

A

Anonymous

Thought HD Tracks was only for American residents? I have used B&W's Society of Sound to find some nice stuff at hi-res.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Cneal14:Thought HD Tracks was only for American residents? I have used B&W's Society of Sound to find some nice stuff at hi-res.

Nope, they seem quite happy to relieve us 'limeys' of our hard earned dosh!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Wow, chainrock, where've you been? Long time no post. Still loving the A5s?

Hey jaxwired, after long time building my 'perfect' system i was happy listening to it... so that's why no posts for a while! But I just bought an iMac (which changed the sound a lot from my IBM laptop even though both over USB) and I am looking to potentially change my Dac (rDac or new Rega).

Anyhow, back to topic, I am not really looking to change my taste in music so that i could listen to hi-res - just curious if common titles were available somewhere in hi-res and I was missing something... thanks for responses!

This confirms that USB is not really a limiting factor, as most music I listen to is probably not available in hi-res anyway!

A

Anonymous

Then I am both impressed and confused mitch65. When I enter my Swedish address in HD Tracks, I am not able to save my account details
emotion-12.gif

Also, I note on the account setup page there, they write the following statement: "For the time being, HDtracks only sells to U.S. Residents"

So, any tips on how to get HD Tracks to work outside of the US would be gratefully accepted.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this is old news but you can get a free trial with the bower and wilkins society of sound,you can get 4 free tracks to see how it all works and sounds,im downloading as i type,will up date soon.

A

Anonymous

Champion tip that, thanks. It was a little tricky to find but I got there in the end.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Cneal14:
Then I am both impressed and confused mitch65. When I enter my Swedish address in HD Tracks, I am not able to save my account details
emotion-12.gif

Also, I note on the account setup page there, they write the following statement: "For the time being, HDtracks only sells to U.S. Residents"

So, any tips on how to get HD Tracks to work outside of the US would be gratefully accepted.

Hmmmm....that makes two of us, the last time I tried was 5 or 6 months ago so things might have changed since then.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I thought i'd put this info in this tread as it relates and would be easy to find when we search "hi rez"

If you haven't found them already here are two software programmes that can be used with itunes that facilitate listening to hi-rez files at their native sampling rates without you having to manually adjust your computer's settings each time you switch between resolutions (for instance, from 16/44.1 to 24/96).
They are Sonic Studio's Amarra 2.0 and Channel D's Pure Music. The Amarra programme at $695 (£435) seems expensive and with the Pure Music only $129 (£80) even more so.
Also with the Pure Music you get a 15 day free trial so if its not for you , just trash it.

Both of theses programs are designed for the mac and details can be found on there sites www.sonicstudio.com/amarra and http://www.channld.com respectively but looking at the spec will run with intel CPU.

Enjoy.

SteveR750

shooter69:I thought i'd put this info in this tread as it relates and would be easy to find when we search "hi rez" If you haven't found them already here are two software programmes that can be used with itunes that facilitate listening to hi-rez files at their native sampling rates without you having to manually adjust your computer's settings each time you switch between resolutions (for instance, from 16/44.1 to 24/96). They are Sonic Studio's Amarra 2.0 and Channel D's Pure Music. The Amarra programme at $695 (£435) seems expensive and with the Pure Music only $129 (£80) even more so.Also with the Pure Music you get a 15 day free trial so if its not for you , just trash it.Both of theses programs are designed for the mac and details can be found on there sites www.sonicstudio.com/amarra and http://www.channld.com respectively but looking at the spec will run with intel CPU.Enjoy.

I think J River does this automatically if you select the play in native format check box.

Problem I have is using s/pdif and supporting anything more than 16 bit / 48K......

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
My hires lossless music files have been growing rapidly. The 2 recent blu-ray audio releases from Tom Petty come with codes for FLAC 24bit downloads. Paul McCartney's Band On The Run has just been re-released for download 24/96. If you have any HDCD's you can rip the extra info that make HDCD's 20bit using dBPowerAmp, this has a HDCD DSP effect plugin which if enabled will rip the extra info on HDCD's to 24/44.1 FLAC (no 20bit with FLAC). If you've got any DVD-Audio discs you can use a free bit of software called DVD-A Explorer to rip the MLP layer to a WAV (REM's Best Of DVD-A has 24bit/192kHz available to rip). Use DVD Audio Extractor which allows you to easily rip the audio from DVD Videos, e.g. I've ripped the 24/48 audio from my Depeche Mode Collecotrs Editions to FLAC. I also get downloads from Linn & B&W.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:
Problem I have is using s/pdif and supporting anything more than 16 bit / 48K......

Hmm, SPDIF supports 24/96.

All drivers up to date? (PC & DAC)

WASAPI settings?

If these are all good try DacMagic or WASAPI Support.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:SteveR750:

Hmm, SPDIF supports 24/96.

All drivers up to date? (PC & DAC)

WASAPI settings?

If these are all good try DacMagic or WASAPI Support.

aha! saved me typing it.
emotion-1.gif
getting upto 24/96 through optical.

SteveR750

shooter69:SteveR750:

Hmm, SPDIF supports 24/96.All drivers up to date? (PC & DAC)WASAPI settings?If these are all good try DacMagic or WASAPI Support.

In that case I'm relieved. I was under the impression s/pdif wasn't able to transmit 24/96! OK, I don't have any HD tracks..yet.

A

Anonymous

It seems that choices (at least for the artists i like) seem to be few and far between which is a shame because it think there is growing market for hi-res files..

Is it just a matter of time before one of the big players (I tunes, amazon) really embrace this and start putting out lots of music in Flac or better? or will price put them off?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts