Where do I start my upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For the past 15 years I've been listening to an all Technics system (SL-PG320A CD player; SU-VZ320 amp; basic Technics speakers), all still working like new. If I were to start upgrading, which bit of my old set up should go first? I'm a classical music fan on a modest budget.

Thanks for any advice.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Defo speakers. How much is "low budget"? A pair of Wharfdale 9.0s or Tannoy Mercury F1s will make a significant difference for around £100, whilst a pair of Monitor Audio BR2s will make it sing at around £180.

I wouldn't go much above this for your system. To be honest, I've always liked Technics amps, and have a reciever myself.

Instead of changing your CD player, if your CD player has a digital out socker, it might be worth looking at a DAC such as the Beresford.

They are around £120 delivered. I've just recieved mine and it's made a big difference to my Arcam Alpha 6, so should make a more than worthwhile difference to your Technics CD player.

Stanley Beresford offers a money back warranty if you don't like it as well!

But I would stick with the speakers as the 1st upgrade!!

A

Anonymous

I use my system in my study, so small is beautiful!

If I could buy decent speakers for £100 (probably book shelf is best for my space) I'd be delighted, but could be persuaded to spend up to £200 if I'd really notice a difference.

No optical ouput on CD player I'm afraid...

On a slightly different tack, although it's not my first choice, how much upgrading of my current system would I have to do to beat the new Onkyo and Denon all-in-ones?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Speakers first, then amp, then CD player. I find running even a really cheap CD player through a good amp, is far preferable than running a good CD player through a cheap amp.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
may be stick with what you have!. I haven't a clue how good is all-in-one these days. I have a £200 Yamaha in the kitchen and I thought it's OK for a background music.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
On a really low budget, how about a Denon PMA700AE amp at £150, Eltax monitor III at £70 from Richer sounds. Try it with your current CD player...

A

Anonymous

Those amps are well-made and should still be ok. I think you'll find greatest improvement with speaker change, followed by source, as per Chebby's advice.

T

the record spot

The amp bears an uncanny resemblance to the well received Kenwood KA-3020SE of presumably around the same time. If it shares some of that amp's qualities, I would seriously think about hanging on to it.

Don't know about your speakers, but the aforementioned Missions, Q Acoustics, Tannoys, Monitor Audio etc, around the £100-£180 will suffice admirably I think.

CD player - you could probably upgrade here and again, a modest sum (by this I am assuming you're looking at around £200 max) would net you a NAD, Cambridge or Marantz player to name but three. If you are interested in the possibility of hearing hi-res classical on SACD, then the Oppo 980 universal player is an option at £160 too. CD performance will likely be bettered by one of the other players in the same price bracket though. You'd need to look at spending a little more (£300-350) or shop around for a good used player with SACD compatibility instead.

Happy hunting!

A

Anonymous

This is all very helpful.

I've done some looking around and I've discovered SuperFi (reliable?). They've got these current deals. Any comments much appreciated...

NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & Q ACOUSTICS 1020 SPEAKERS - £349.95

MARANTZ PM4001 & CD5001 & Q ACOUSTICS 1010 SPEAKERS - £249.95

NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & TANNOY MERCURY F1 CUSTOM - 349.95

T

the record spot

Personal preference I think, but the NAD combo is very strong here with the Tannoy F1s IMO. Not heard any of them, but plenty of good writeups from many happy users of those components and I think they work well together.

Check out Richer Sounds site too....they do have some offers and see what a local bricks and mortar dealer might be able to do too; drop the ads into the conversation, turn up wielding some cash.....the current financial climate affects them too and they might have something on the go that fits your sonic wants and available budget.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Richer Sounds also do package deals similar to those. May be worth having a look, especially as the Cambridge Audio stuff is a bang-for-buck-bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts