When movies look like Corrie!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Being about to dip my toe into big-screen HD waters (via, possibly, Samsung LE46F86 or PS50P96), I've been trying out movies on an upscaling dvd player on my girlfriend's brother's 38" Samsung (I don't know the model as neither does he, having bought it on a whim in a showroom - although my guess is, while HD-ready, it is not full 1080). I've noticed that movies broadcast on both freeview and Sky, along with the dvds (the discs sharp and detailed, but appalling in dark scenes) have this awful 'feel' that I can only describe as TV-like; there just isn't that lovely, almost organic feel of film, that you still see on dvds played on CRT or broadcast on digi. The interior of the Millennium Falcon feels like the Rovers Return - studio-based and video-esque; Lucas doing ITV - and I can't bear it. Forgive my lack of knowledge, or if I'm missing the obvious, but what is causing this? I don't know whether it is par for the course (surely not?), a by-product of upscaling and non-1080, or a feature particular to Samsung. Some off-site Samsung reviews - for the models i've described above - have talked of a 'camcorder feel', bereft of cinematic quality, and put it down, i think, to a motionflow feature; adding that the system works best with this disengaged (but would that then, in turn, pose other, motion problems?) My thanks in advance for any insight. (PS, on the lcd 46 and 50 plas front as above, which would you recommend? - blu-ray, sky sports HD and regular sky broadcasts will be its chief uses. In particular, can the plasma support 24frames.......)

A

Anonymous

Do you mean a processed look, like a film over the picture? Ive seen that many times on lcd's and some plasma's.
For blu-ray, sports and sky I'd go for a plasma anyday. Panasonic or Pioneer are my choices.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifi_nut"]Do you mean a processed look, like a film over the picture? Ive seen that many times on lcd's and some plasma's.
For blu-ray, sports and sky I'd go for a plasma anyday. Panasonic or Pioneer are my choices.[/quote]

No, this is about the 100Hz modes that LCD TVs have nowadays. It really is a hit and miss technology depending on what you are actually watching - fast moving programmes like sports probably benefit from 100Hz processing, but films are ruined by it. Your choice of Corrie as an example of what it feels like is bang on. Switch 100Hz off and you'll be fine (which is why the LXD70 frightens me; you can't switch 100Hz mode off, only tone it down).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean after watching a few movies on a Samsung over Xmas. It's when you can almost see the set and everything looks far too real as if you'd shot the movie on your digital camera.

I have a 42 inch Panansonic at home which is streets better in every single way, blacks are good, DVDs are superb, movies have feeling and emotion and style. Sound is also surprisingly good too. Only cost £710 new and is the latest model, a TH-42PX70 I think.

Highly recommended by me.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like you need to read the 50in flatscreen Supertest in our current, February issue...
emotion-2.gif

PS Want cinematic? Try a projector - I moved over to one several years ago, and now it's all I use, for TV and movies. You don't need a big room or big money for one these days, either.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm looking forward to being invited round Clare. I trust you'll bring the ice creams round at half time, while dressed in a small pini?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]I'm looking forward to being invited round Clare. I trust you'll bring the ice creams round at half time, while dressed in a small pini?[/quote]

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 19th century...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]Actually the best cinemas these days are the old ones rather than the ridiculously priced 6 screen popcorn factories.[/quote]

Ah yes, got to love those 19th century cinemas

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Screen on the green, The Electric, The Rio Dalston...check them out Andrew, take a nice bottle of good wine in with you...no fighting gangs or hairgel...bliss, not to mention proper films rather than Hollywood nonsense.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]Screen on the green, The Electric, The Rio Dalston...[/quote]

All 20th century, AFAIK, and all in that London...

And showing No Country for Old Men or Sweeney Todd - sounds pretty Hollywood to me...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts