What's the worst bit of hifi kit you have purchased

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Oct 25, 2021
I purchased a set of Ascend bookshelf speakers based on internet recommendations. I hooked up these ugly plasticky boxes, excited and hoping for the best, and then...
They chewed up my music and vomited it out, dead and lifeless, from 100 yards away.
I couldn't return them fast enough.

gel

Sep 24, 2021
So what did they do with the mark ii that they are so universally liked while the original was so universally hated?
The first pair sounded muffled whereas the second pair I understand they sound clear, but I haven’t heard the second pair it’s just what I read.

Reactions: Dom

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Just thought of another 2 in addition to the Audiolab 8000S already mentioned. ( I obviously tried to block out from memory because I am still traumatised, 30 years after in one case ... .)

That would have been a pair of RTL TDL 3's. The biggest waste of MDF ever made? Huge, cheap and as far from a proper Transmission Line as it gets. It was sold cheap through RS. - Bad, low cost drivers in huge expanse of thin, Vinyl covered MDF. The tweeter was like a cheese grater, bass ... horrible.

The other (really) bad purchase, although not purely HIFI, was a Pioneer Kuro Plasma TV, purchased largely on the basis of WHS&V and others waxing lyrically about it at the time.

I could never get a picture I liked and the thing buzzed like hell whenever brightness increased. Speaking of which, the picture dimmed like crazy every time there was a large amount of bright screen content.

Sold it after 6 months at a considerable loss.

Far from the worst purchase ever but nevertheless something I'd rather not have bought ... a pair of B&W Formation Duo's Active Speakers, just recently.

Fantastic in some ways, bass, power and dynamics ... not so in others. Largely the usual B&W sound of bright upper mids and lower treble with boosted bass. There was a constant deviation from neutrality which imparted itself on everything and which started to grate after a while. Some of the traits were likely due to the class D amplification not helping.

Some Kef LS50 Wireless Meta's were superior in certain areas and I preferred them. However, they too had a signature which was ever present and did not conform to neutrality. Again, Class D powered to the mid/woofer ... .

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts