whats the main diffrence between the focal 714v and the tannoy v4 floorstanders ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jack and welcome to the forum.

Your question is not easy to answer.

They are both reputable, well made brands, and the answer depends on personal taste, synergy with supporting ancillaries, the room they are used in and possibly the music being played on them.

Why don't you and your friend do a detailed comparison and then tell us what you think.

A

Anonymous

i have heard his tannoys and tbh im not a fan i jw if their was a reason they sound unclear. Thanks for the reply btw nice to see people read these things lol.

my focals are running in and are stunning to hear . im just unsure as to why focals are not on this website atall.

Any types of things i can do to test tannoy would be helpful same as my focals.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you really want to get to the bottom of this, you need to get both sets of speakers compared on the same system.....so either you bring yours over to your friend's, or vica versa.

Make sure the set up of each speaker is optimized and you have an eclectic selection of music that you know well.

IMO The Focal have a very detailed, forward and clean presentation, and the 714V are considerably more expensive than the V4s.

The Tannoys are good VFM and also present music in a direct manner, with an open, airy mid-range but a slight hard edge to the treble.

IMO both these speakers need careful matching, particularly the Tannoys.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jack92 said:
what should the tannoys be used with then ?

The slightly flippant answer is what ever gives you pleasure....but it depends on taste and budget.

For my taste it is brands like Icon Audio, Peachtree, Sugden, Electrocompaniet, Unison research Unico series, Pathos, Audio Analogue, Musical Fidelity and possibly Arcam.

A

Anonymous

my mate has the whole surround set of the tannoys im only askin bout the front pair. mainly because my focals are alil more money but seem 10 times better and i cant see how to test my thinking. atm im useing my rxa 2010 but im hopein to get a hifi to make music better thanks for ur advice btw.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO AV amps are generally inferior for two channel than a dedicated stereo amp at similar money.....a speaker will only sound as good as the amp and source connected to it.

A

Anonymous

well i wana build a good set up wen i can i jw what sort of make would be great with the focals

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
When you are ready to buy, give details of your maximum budget, and I'm sure the good folks on here will give you some suggestions.

My above list of brands would also work well with the Focals, which have high sensitivity.

A

Anonymous

thanks for ur advice and thoughts its nice to see people on here are helpful :)

A

Anonymous

hi long time no see ive done some lil tests and tbh the focals were far better for everything to my ears anyway. the tannoys are not very good with the rear ports making it hard to place and the looks of the tannoys is not good atall :(. the focals did lack bass but the burned in great and il not ever move speaker brand anytime soon. The only thing i liked about the tannoys was the bass but since they burned in its become muddy. All in all they tannoys are good but they need jumper cables to really make them sing :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts