Whats the difference between hdmi and 3d hdmi

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I bought my 1st 3d blue ray Hugo and I bought a 3 D hdmi lead which didn't work so I refitted my old hdmi lead and watched the movie which was realy good what difference would there be with a 3D lead the 3D was execelent with my old lead its a cambride audio ?many thanks for any info on this one as Ht is not my main intrest I would rather listen to music

A

Anonymous

If you're connecting a 3D Blu-ray player to an AV amp, with the amp controlling everything, do you need a new HDMI 1.4 cable going from the amps' HDMI OUT to the TV as well as one from the BD player to the amp?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're wanting to watch in 3D, then in theory yes you do, and as I mentioned above you have to look for a High Speed HDMI cable these days, as manufacturers aren't allowed to descrbe cables as HDMI 1.3 or HDMI 1.4 these days.

I say 'in theory' as some older cables are sufficient to carry the 3D picture, despite not having either the new High Speed designation or the now-proscribed HDMI 1.4 one – but it's only by buying one with the High Speed designation that you can be sure it'll meet 3D requirements.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Silly question? Guess I should use 1.4 for bluray. Not sure if mine are 1.3/1.4. If my cables are not up to it, what might I notice in playing a bd? Cheers

Ps I thought it was just 3d but specs say 1.3 is spec'd to 1080i. I don't use 3d.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As the HDMI people say, Standard HDMI 'is designed to handle most home applications, and is tested to reliably transmit 1080i or 720p video – the HD resolutions that are commonly associated with cable and satellite television, digital broadcast HD, and upscaling DVD players'

whereas High Speed HDMI 'is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.'

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. Your not sure what to look for either? :) I'm gonna be lookin' for imperfections in sound or video to attribute to my cables now. Just when I thought I had spent enough and too late for a xmas pressy

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As I said above, some older cables seem to be able to handle 1080p/3D/etc despite not being 'officially' rated thus, but when buying new cables for a Blu-ray/3D installation the best way to guarantee they will work is to ensure they carry the High Speed HDMI marking.

But I'm with the OP, in that I'm not that into home cinema – and I have no interest in 3D! – and would rather listen to music.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IanMac said:
If you're connecting a 3D Blu-ray player to an AV amp, with the amp controlling everything, do you need a new HDMI 1.4 cable going from the amps' HDMI OUT to the TV as well as one from the BD player to the amp?

The HDMI labelling would suggest that yes, you need High Speed cables both from 3D BD player to amp and from amp to TV. But for the cables from lesser sources, such as Sky/Virgin boxes and the like, to the amp, Standard HDMI would be sufficient. That's despite the fact that 3D services are available on these platforms, as broadcast 3D is of lower definition than that on Blu-ray.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Andrew I'm in the market for some, could you give a recommendation for a high speed HDMI cable, so Oppo 103 to AV and then one from AV to TV? Was thinking of the chord active silver plus.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
duaplex said:
Andrew I'm in the market for some, could you give a recommendation for a high speed HDMI cable, so Oppo 103 to AV and then one from AV to TV? Was thinking of the chord active silver plus.

Having used the Chords in a system at home, I'd have no problem with those whatsoever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts