whats the best place to buy vinyl ??

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
REALLY ENJOYING A LOT OF VINYL LATELY SO GOT THE BUG TO BUY SOME MORE...........I USED TO GET ALL MINE FROM HMV BUT NOT SURE IF THEY SELL IT ANYMORE SO JUST WONDERED THE BEST PLACE

I don't know where you are based but it is unfortunate that these days one of the only options open to most people is, as suggested, the internet.

I suppose I am fortunate in that I have 2 independent retailers within 25 miles of where I live. Others are not so fortunate.

For second hand stuff there are a few reputable dealers on Ebay - just make sure you check out their ratings first.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Most towns, even smaller ones have a second hand record/cd/dvd ... store somewhere.

We have three I can think off in Bournemouth.

They are a good source and reasonably priced. Other than that, there has been no problem for me to buy on the bay and other web retailers. You get the odd lemon but mostly its been a pleasurable experience.

regards

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks guys i am based in lowestoft suffolk .....there are a good few second hand vinyl stores in norwich but im not sure if some of there stuff is overpriced when i think i have bought brand new 180g re issues for the same price of some of their stuff............i guess it depends how bad you want certain albums

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Not wanting to stir :) but '180g audiophile' re-releases are not always a guarantee for sq. When I look for records I normally aim for vgc or better original releases. If they are unobtainium (or to expensive) I do, on rare ocasions, buy later re-releases, perhaps on heavier vinyl if it happens to be from the master tapes (quite often you have to do some re-search).

Record shop owners are not stupid, They work with guide price books and know if a pressing is rare. They usually price accordingly. Many also sell over the net. Having said that, one of my local ones sells at an average of around £4.50 for a good quality release (Jazz, its mostly what I buy). Whilst this is more than a CD I think its fair.

For classical I have bought a lot from charity shops, one in particular. Owners of classical recordings (usually) look after them and most of the ones I have are in excellent condition (unlike rock etc which normally look as if they have been sand papered if coming from a charity shop).

I recently picked up 2 boxes of night club remixes from a charity shop for £20.00 all in. All in excellent condition. Not a fan of this sort of tune normally but I may flog them as a whole on the bay.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Record shop owners are not stupid

definately they are really on the ball!

My local used record shop often has multiple LP's so he puts the surplus in the £1 bargain bin - so there still are lots of bargains to be had!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Though I've not been to either myself, there's 'Out Of Time' in Ipswich and 'Compact Music' in Sudbury. Both a fair drive for you, but I've heard good things about both.

I agree about the shops in Norwich being a bit pricey.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
HMV have vastly increased their stocks of vinyl. Been in a couple of store recently and they had a very good range of new vinyl and it was quite reasonably priced.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
geordie777 said:
HMV have vastly increased their stocks of vinyl. Been in a couple of store recently and they had a very good range of new vinyl and it was quite reasonably priced.

The one in Cribbs Causeway seem to be getting rid of music altogether, the CD section is pathetic now, tucked over in the far corner. It used to half the store, now it's all dvd and blu-ray. I haven't noticed any vinyl in there recently (they flirted with it a couple of years back).

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
geordie777 said:

The one in Cribbs Causeway seem to be getting rid of music altogether, the CD section is pathetic now, tucked over in the far corner. It used to half the store, now it's all dvd and blu-ray. I haven't noticed any vinyl in there recently (they flirted with it a couple of years back).

I wonder if it is only certain stores then. I was in the Exeter store on Tuesday and there was a display downstairs then the main display on the first floor with about another six big boxes on the floor full of records.

robejz

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Shame you're not near us :(

I cound't find any record shops in Coventry the last time I visited. I thought they had all closed down. Can you recommend any?

Also Discogs is very good for buyign second hand records online. I have found many records on there that were unavailable elsewhere. Some real bargains too.

A

Anonymous

robejz said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

I cound't find any record shops in Coventry the last time I visited. I thought they had all closed down. Can you recommend any?

Also Discogs is very good for buyign second hand records online. I have found many records on there that were unavailable elsewhere. Some real bargains too.

Vinyl Destination in the market (very good) only second hand store left in Cov, HMV seem to a have a few now and apparently Frank Harvey.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
geordie777 said:
The_Lhc said:
geordie777 said:

I wonder if it is only certain stores then. I was in the Exeter store on Tuesday and there was a display downstairs then the main display on the first floor with about another six big boxes on the floor full of records.

It's limited to larger stores that have to accomodate range. All stores can order it in for you though. If you've got a Fopp near you they've got a a better range of catalogue, some at ridiculously low prices.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
geordie777 said:

Probably because they've realised that CD sales aren't going to do anything for them, just as they found with the little electronic departments they all opened up. I think they're trying to find something to perk their sales back up - vinyl might, IF they're competitive. The problem is that they're not now known for vinyl, and most buyers have other sources they've sought out over the past few years.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I must say HMV have a tricky time ahead in regards to which core-business they want to be in!

My local HMV is just full of BluRays and PS3/XBox games & ipod stuff!

They really need to careful going forward, they need to concentrate on one thing and be damn good & competitive at it!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

No plans to sell on the companys web site then ?........:)

I'm not sure at the moment, as the profit margin is quite low when you're competing with the lowest prices, and if we have to pay for delivery and packaging as well, it may end up being a pointless exercise.

At the moment, the website is being completely redesigned (has been for a year now), which should hopefully be rolled out in the next few months. We're concentrating on getting products which are the core of our business on the website, which is a little more important than the records at this stage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts