Whathifi for around 2500 GBP?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for a good quality all in one system for my living room. My options are naim uniti, arcam solo neo, linn sneaky musik ds or a used beosound 3200. I have beolab 6000 speakers to go for, or I can sell them to buy something like PMC DB1i. Sugestions please!!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Well I suppose I should through my hat into the ring, I've had a Naimuniti for 5 months now and I absolutely love it. If you want a true quality all-in-one solution, as I did, then this has to be on your audition list. I looked at the Sneaky but I really wanted the option of a CD player as well. If you do not need a CD player option then the UnitiQute should be on your list as well (£1350). B&O systems (sticking my neck on the block here
emotion-5.gif
) are really style over substance so while they may look great they are expensive for the sound you get.

Speaker wise you've got so much choice, sounds like an excuse to camp at your local audio shop for the day I think!
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
My personal choice would also be the Uniti. Which speakers you go for is purely a personal preference as they differ wildly, so the best thing to do is get yourself along to a dealer and try some out. Are you looking for a laid back sound? Or a more forward and energetic one? Is bass quantity or depth an issue? What sort of volumes would you be listening at? What size room do you have?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Another vote for the NaimUniti, but I'd take issue with mitch65's sweeping generalisation about B&O being style over substance, and temper his suggestion of the UnitiQute with the point that no-one outside Naim has actually heard a finished one yet.

A

Anonymous

My room size is 17' x 12'. I would be listening at moderate volumes, not very high (neighbours!). Sound quality is important more than outright bass, and I also want an option of a CD player. Arcam are claiming to have used Wolfson 24 bit DAC in their Solo neo, but its not out yet.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
tarunzbak:Arcam are claiming to have used Wolfson 24 bit DAC in their Solo neo, but its not out yet.

I wouldn't let the manufacturer's choice of DAC chip decide which system I bought: there are many more factors affecting the sound.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Another vote for the NaimUniti, but I'd take issue with mitch65's sweeping generalisation about B&O being style over substance, and temper his suggestion of the UnitiQute with the point that no-one outside Naim has actually heard a finished one yet.

It was meant to be tongue in cheek comment about the B&O (hence the wink), but they are expensive and as far as the Unitiqute is concerned, it was just a suggestion to audition and not based on any personal knowledge or availabilty of the product(didn't know it wasn't at the dealers yet) which is why I mentioned a day spent at a dealer.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, but the trouble is that 'tongue in cheek' comment is typical of those made by people with no real knowledge of how B&O designs, engineers and builds its products, and does the company a disservice.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
tarunzbak:Andrew, what speakers would you suggest?

With the NaimUniti? Either PMCs - DB1i or GB1i, depending on room size -, or Neat Motive series. On a tighter budget, maybe EB Acoustics EB1s, Quad 11L2s or Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2s

T

the record spot

The Aura Note would be my choice, £1500, partner it with a pair of suitable speakers of your choice for a classy and elegant looking solution. Has SACD too.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:The Aura Note would be my choice, £1500, partner it with a pair of suitable speakers of your choice for a classy and elegant looking solution. Has SACD too.

Second that and partner with Proac Tablet Ref 8's. Sweet.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for the suggestions. Will probably go for Naim uniti next weekend as B&O and Arcam solo neo didnt get any votes!!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Or another option could be this:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=535&md=7cac2eacad06759fa6616374601bc132

lots of money left over for speakers!

matthewpiano

tarunzbak:Thank you all for the suggestions. Will probably go for Naim uniti next weekend as B&O and Arcam solo neo didnt get any votes!!

Don't go off 'votes'. Arrange some auditions of your shortlisted options so that you can make the decision yourself.

T

the record spot

Ditto that. At that kind of money, you want to be hearing this stuff. Not everyone likes the Naim "sound" for want of a better word and something else might better fit your tastes.

In any case, for the money Naim ask of the Uniti, you could buy a good laptop or Mac and it would do everything the Uniti does and you'd have enough money left over for a good amp with a similar power wattage (Yamaha AS-700, 90w) for instance.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
S700 S1000 S2000..stupid bass and treble knobs dont even look vertical in the zero position.they just look crooked.and Ive seen many of these sets..

T

the record spot

"Thank you for your call, next on the line...?"

Oddly, the ones I've seen...were.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:tarunzbak:Thank you all for the suggestions. Will probably go for Naim uniti next weekend as B&O and Arcam solo neo didnt get any votes!!

Don't go off 'votes'. Arrange some auditions of your shortlisted options so that you can make the decision yourself.

For sure I am gonna have a good audition of all of them before I buy!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I think two of the great new products around are the Naim Uniti and the Arcam Solo Neo - i would not dismiss either without a listen.

They present in a different way and you need to decide yourself which you prefer. You may find that the Arcam's lower cost enables a bigger spend on speakers which could give you a better overall package.

A

Anonymous

crusaderlord:I think two of the great new products around are the Naim Uniti and the Arcam Solo Neo - i would not dismiss either without a listen.

They present in a different way and you need to decide yourself which you prefer. You may find that the Arcam's lower cost enables a bigger spend on speakers which could give you a better overall package.

Thats true! I could end up with a better package with an Arcam Solo Neo, specially if I add in a sub-woofer as I will have cash to spare, or just go for a decent pair of floor standing loudspeakers instead of standmounts. Lets see..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts