Whatever happened to Dual Turntables?

matthewpiano

I believe they are still in production and that they share some factory space and design with the cheaper Thorens decks. I certainly remember reading a review of a brand new CS505 model in another hi-fi mag 3 or 4 years ago and think that, at the same price as a Rega P3-24, they were taking the mickey.

Over here the brand has been used on all sorts of bottom-end electronics in Asda as a result of a licence deal of some description.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:I believe they are still in production and that they share some factory space and design with the cheaper Thorens decks. I certainly remember reading a review of a brand new CS505 model in another hi-fi mag 3 or 4 years ago and think that, at the same price as a Rega P3-24, they were taking the mickey.Over here the brand has been used on all sorts of bottom-end electronics in Asda as a result of a licence deal of some description.Not quite, MP. Dual are going strong in the Back Forest. The lower priced Thorens are re-badged Duals - they don't share factory space to my knowledge, it's Dual or the way.

Here's their website: http://www.alfredfehrenbacher.de/Dual-Phono/Produkte/43.html?lang=en

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Tarquinh:Dual are going strong in the Back Forest.

Not quite - that's the Black Forest...

These damn smartphone keyboards....

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info Gentlemen.

Nice one Chebby I have not heard that song in years - I bet that is not a Dual turntable
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That's a portable music centre, that is.

Oh and I had an aunt and uncle who used to play that all the time in Summer hols just after it had been released - those pizzicato strings still bring shudders of nostalgia.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Oh, Chebby, that was just pure evil. I was whisked back to my childhood and my dad's stereo system (which I still can't put names or even likely level of cool/uncool to - I am going to have to give him a call). But not only that...what about Family Favourites? And then the sickly-sweet and unhallowed pleasure of Black Forest Gateau? A fine end to a Sunday special occasion at the Berni - yum!
emotion-4.gif

Mind you, I still have lingering doubts about that '60s rotisserie - straight through my laptop speakers that music sounded remarkably clear. Is someone messing about?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't sound as good as my mum's old Dansette
emotion-19.gif

I've still got a Dual CS601 but only coz I don't have the heart to get rid of it. Got a Grado Gemini Silver on it. The problem in those days was they used silver plated contacts on the headshell and the cartridge connectors and they would oxidise like crazy and spoil the signal.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:Mind you, I still have lingering doubts about that '60s rotisserie - straight through my laptop speakers that music sounded remarkably clear. Is someone messing about?

I have just played it through the system and it sounds ok for an amateur recording of a 45 year old portable

'Nice tone' as people used to say of these things.

In fact that's as far as the discussion over a new stereo or radio used to get before purchase. It was either.. 'tinny' or had a.. 'nice tone'.

Now we have a raft of monthly mags and umpteen hifi websites devoted to deciding - essentially - the same thing. Tinny, or nice tone?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:In fact that's as far as the discussion over a new stereo or radio used to get before purchase. It was either.. 'tinny' or had a.. 'nice tone'.

Now we have a raft of monthly mags and umpteen hifi websites devoted to deciding - essentially - the same thing. Tinny or nice tone?

Reminds me of one of the first Gramophone audio reviews I had to edit when I took over the audio section back in 1999: two and a half pages' worth of copy describing a CD player's build and functionality almost down to the viscosity of the lubricant used when machining the screws that held the terminals in place, followed by:

"PERFORMANCE
I have long held that all CD players sound the same, and the [XXX] further supports that conviction."

That's it, that's all you got. Next...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Reminds me of one of the first Gramophone audio reviews I had to edit when I took over the audio section back in 1999: two and a half pages' worth of copy describing a CD player's build and functionality almost down to the viscosity of the lubricant used when machining the screws that held the terminals in place, followed by:

"PERFORMANCE

I have long held that all CD players sound the same, and the [XXX] further supports that conviction."That's it, that's all you got. Next...

I prefer that to this.

Actually I am a sucker for all those in-depth investigations into build, components, manufacture, company history, measurements etc. (And stuff like company films and online factory tours.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:I prefer that to this.

Yes, but one purports to be a review, while the other is a press release.

chebby:Actually I am a sucker for
all those in-depth investigations into build, components, manufacture,
company history, measurements etc. (And stuff like company films and
online factory tours.)

Somehow, I'm not surprised...

A

Anonymous

The Amazon website has one or two new Dual turntables for sale.Looks like they are sent from Germany.

Not sure whether they are available in the UK though.

Still have my Dual 505-2 and it sounds great.

Pete

TRENDING THREADS