what would work best with?

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
im after buying the yamaha 3050 amp when it comes out in uk it has all the latest specs i need dolby atmos and the new dts-x and capable of 11.2 with external amp my question is i want to buy a 5.1 speaker package for this new amp that can really show of what the amp can do ie perfect match willing to spend £1200 to £1800 max but i want the 5.1 speaker package to work well with 2 rs1s for front height speakers and 2 extra back rsfx rears and also with 2 rsw12 subs i also want 2 dolby atmos speakers ceiling that work well with this amp but should i use my rs6s as fronts rslcr centre speaker and rfx rears that i already have as the 5.1 package would this work well together i want it sound fantastic i want it to seamlessly integrate well with the amp ad sound aggressive attacking and refined if i was to use my old 5.1 rs6av package what atmos speakers would you use with this setup and finally what external amplifier would be the perfect partner for getting 11.2 channel surround sound max rice £1000 to £1500 thanks?

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
thanks for your help bigboss could you also suggest a 5.1 speaker package that will work with the rs6av surrounds and ceiling speakers thanks oh yes budget for 5.1 £1200 to £1800

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
i was thinking about this as a setup 11.1 gx300 fronts gx350 centre using my old rsfx as rears for now and using my 2 rsw12 subs for now and 4 in ceiling ct280s my old rs1s as front heights and then at a later date upgrading my old rsfx rears to gold gx rears and then upgrading my 2 rsw12s to the gx subs would this be a good match for now until i upgrade at a later date also instead of using atmos in ceiling speakrs i was told you can get atmos speakers that sit on top of your other speakers and do the same effect could you please advise me on what to buy if went with this option instead thanks

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
markyboy156 said:
i was thinking about this as a setup 11.1 gx300 fronts gx350 centre using my old rsfx as rears for now and using my 2 rsw12 subs for now and 4 in ceiling ct280s my old rs1s as front heights and then at a later date upgrading my old rsfx rears to gold gx rears and then upgrading my 2 rsw12s to the gx subs would this be a good match for now until i upgrade at a later date also instead of using atmos in ceiling speakrs i was told you can get atmos speakers that sit on top of your other speakers and do the same effect could you please advise me on what to buy if went with this option instead thanks

From my experience, I wouldn't recommend mixing MA Gold & MA Silver speakers in the same set-up, although I appreciate you have the RS rather than the RX or Silvers at present. Although from the same manufacturer, the Silvers and Golds actually sound very different to one another. The Golds are much more laid back: I wouldn't partner them with the Yamaha either - I think the resulting sound would be too soft. The ribbon tweeters don't match tonally very well with the Gold dome tweeters of the Silver/Radius/Apex range. That's my personal taste talking of course.

I know there are some good deals around with the Golds at the moment, but if I were you I'd look at the current Silver range (plus the in-ceiling models BigBoss mentioned) to augment your RS speakers. Matching Silver and Golds, particularly in a set-up using so many speakers would just sound a big mess in my opinion and would be a nightmare to set-up correctly in what is already a complex process.

Sorry if this isn't the response you expected or wanted, but I wouldn't want you to be disappointed after stumping up all that cash. The Golds are fine speakers in their own right, but need VERY careful partnering and extensive auditioning to sound at their best for your own taste: in this respect I think they're much less flexible than the Silver range.

I ought to add, that despite my signature (which I've not got round to updating), my Golds have already been sold. I liked them for music - they had a beautifully large soundstage, but for movies (even with my relatively forward dynamic Pioneer AVR), they sounded lifeless and flat. They just sucked the excitement out of movies that previously had the 'wow' factor with my former Radius R270HD's.

The Golds have gone and I've got MA Apex speakers now. Infinitely better for movies IMO, despite being a fraction of the (original) RRP. Hence my comments above. "Upgrading" sometimes just means "more expensive" and not always "better".

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
does anybody know if the paraidigm 11 series 7 monitors speaker package would be a great match with yamaha 3050 if so i would like to know witch atmos speakers would work well with this setup?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
When I mentioned that I wouldn't match the MA Golds with a Yamaha AVR, I didn't want to imply that I felt the same about the Silver range. Many feel Yamaha & MA Silvers make an excellent match, or do you have an aversion against these?

The Silver range seems an obvious choice: with so many different speakers available using the same drivers with varying sizes of standmounts, floorstanders, dedicated centres, bi/dipole wall-mounted and even in-wall equivalents, such flexibility would make Atmos easier to implement successfully.

As with any surround set-up, matching your differing speakers tonally by using the same tweeters & drivers will have a big effect on the end result. In the end you have to use your own ears by demo'ing of course, but if you're looking at other speaker ranges that don't offer all the speaker types you'll need for your intended set-up, then you'll be getting into mixing & matching drivers, which I'd avoid.

Of course there are other manufacturers who offer wide ranges of speaker types, and KEF even offer upward firing drivers designed for use in an Atmos set-up, but the principle remains: try to keep the tweeters & drivers the same throughout your system.

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
inaly made my mind up going to buy Chane's A2rx-c 5.0 speaker package.with yamaha 3050 amp but i want to use different rears they are to big and bulky to use in my room i want wall mounts dont have the space on the wall what wall mounted rears can i use instead i want them to match perfectly with front three chane speakers i want very small rears and extra rears for this setup or could i use chane arxs a3s floorstanders for rears and then use the extra rears that you recommend also i want height speakers (front) again need them small yet will match perfectly also what in ceiling atmos speakers should iuse with this setup i will be using 2 svs sb2000 subs supposed to be a great match so my setup will look like this 2 arx5s fronts arx2 centre plus rears to be determined or i may use arx3s as rears extra rears to be detemined on your opinions front heights to be determined on your opions and atmos in ceiling speakers determined on your opions and 2 svs sb2000 subs what do you all think of this setup and has anbody got the chane arx speaker package what do you all thinks of them?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:
As with any surround set-up, matching your differing speakers tonally by using the same tweeters & drivers will have a big effect on the end result. In the end you have to use your own ears by demo'ing of course, but if you're looking at other speaker ranges that don't offer all the speaker types you'll need for your intended set-up, then you'll be getting into mixing & matching drivers, which I'd avoid.

Don't say you haven't been warned. You're spending a lot of money on a high-end AVR, so don't spoil the whole set-up with poor speaker choice based on one review you've seen on a website and hoping without a demo that they'll match the speakers you've already got. That's a short path to a big and costly mistake.

I've never heard of Chane speakers. I've never seen them for sale in the UK - are you based in the US?

You're potentially about to spend a lot of money. Go and see a dealer and listen to some speakers. Maybe even take some of the RS speakers you already have and actually check whether they suit. You might even be better off just selling all the speakers you have now and buying all the new ones from one model range that share the same sound.

It's only my opinion, but I think a well set-up 5.1 system with matching tweeters and drivers will sound considerably better than a poorly matched Atmos set-up mixing lots of different makes and models of speakers.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Agree with Leeps....don't buy based on 1 review (don't know how old the review was but was tested with a receiver from 2009-2010. Go and demo some speakers with your amp of choice and get it right or you'll just end up throwing good money after bad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts