What would u do? moral dillema

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok I had a listen to the Martin Logan 40's with the arcam 19

I'm gonna get them

I head them again at the store and the guy was awesome that was our sales man

I also found the speakers used for 1000$ less

Do I get the used pair or get them from the store and give thr guy his well deservedcommission ?

Thanks

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Tell him your predicament and see what discount is offered. By paying extra you are also getting new instead of used speakers, no doubt with warranty benefits. Unless money is really tight, pay for the service and the new speakers.

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I think you guys are right

Took my girlfriend and she was blown away

Told me "wow you were right about how good music can sound!"

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been in this exact same position in the past , I bought my speakers from the shop because my concience would not allow me to buy the second hand pair and I am sure my guilt would have stopped me enjoying them anyway .

I am sure I made the right decision ,and the fact that you are even asking this question suggests to me that you have already made up your mind what you are going to do :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I also agree. I have auditioned cameras in shops and then bought them online and now there are very few camera shops.

Chris

don''t worry i dont thin you caused Jessops to go tits up

I have stopped buying LPs from Amazon now - i have a great local shop who will get me anything thats available!

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
A good dealer will look after you over time.........so play the long game, and avoid the quick buck.

I agree..I even brought them some packed lunch during my daughter's bday . But considering the amount of ££ I have saved from discounts and freebies thats nothing for me. :) They are like friends to me

I am with BenLaw et al on this one.
Buy from the dealer but if you are getting amp from them as well then ask what discount they can do. There will aways be something.
Keep good dealers afloat as they are disappearing all to quickly these days. :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
$1000 less is a lot of money. The nice Sales man may leave tomorrow to work somewhere else or he could get run over by a bus. Hopefully he will not have serious injuries but he could suffer memory loss and not remember you and your purchase.

regards

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I am going to buy from them.

Its actually Magnolia, but the salesman was just amazing.

Spent a good hour with us and at the end of the audition he took us into the VIP room. There we listened to two B&W 800 Diamonds.

Same ones that Abby Road uses.

and the rest was Mcintosh amps and gear.

OH MY LORD

We listened to Pink Floyds "One of these days" through the rig.

I seriously have never heard anything like that before in my life.

Wow.

just wow

Cool news is that Magnolia also gives a free Martin Logan subwoofer with the Motion 40s

Poiont taken but even if the unfortunate salesman did not return you would still have an invoice and warranty which you could wave under the dealerships nose to remind them you had purchased kit there.

And the dealership would live happily ever after. :grin:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Poiont taken but even if the unfortunate salesman did not return you would still have an invoice and warranty which you could wave under the dealerships nose to remind them you had purchased kit there.

And the dealership would live happily ever after. :grin:

But maybe he was not just the nice sales man but the owner. Now the family have to sell the business to pay for the rehabilitation fees.

regards

PS. The new owners decide to make it a Costa Coffee Shop :)

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Buying secondhand has only one advantage - cost savings - but you'd never know if the item is 100% original.

Buying new has several advantages - you get a fresh warranty and peace of mind, you cultivate a relationship with the dealer (so you might enjoy discounts later for cables, racks, interconnects, etc) and you have pride of ownership of something new.

Assuming you keep the speakers for say, 5 years, then US$1,000 savings now works out to only US$200 per year or US$17 per month - IMO, not worth it.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
In theory, I agree with other FMs and say go with the dealer.

BUT, it is not certain that how long this 'super nice'ness' of the dealer lasts after the deal is made and cash is paid.

In the initial days of my HiFi buying, I bought 2500 Euros speakers from a local dealer and he was very nice all through the sales process. He even gave a demo of the Titan series of Musical Fidelity just to give us a feel. Once I finished the deal, signed the invoice, paid up in cash, and after reaching home, we contemplated again and decided to switch to equally priced smaller profile speakers. I called the dealer immediately (that is like 6 hours after my card was swiped) and requested him to change the order to the other speakers. His response was, he could change the order (as there were no logistics challenges and the original order speakers have a waiting period of 15 days delivery and they are yet to place the order on the main warehouse) but he would not only because as far he is concered the sale is completed and he would only deliver the orignally agreed speakers after 15 days and he will not entertain any changes as that would involve additional work for him. Trust me, in all my communication, I was completely polite and putting my case in the nicest way forward.

I cooled it off for that day, and called him again next day but his response was same. I had to get to his Boss but he was of the same opinion that why am I causing incovenience to them. Luckily he has a bit of 'kind' heart and he said they would consider my request if I buy atleast one more item from them. That way their additional work can be justified since there is a new sale coming in too. That is how I bought my first RP from Project Debut series in addition to my B&W CM9.

Also, I tried to understand that 14 day return back policy and it seems that this is only applicable for distance selling and not for a physical purchase when you meet the dealer and pay with your card physically and sign on the invoice.

It shook my faith in dealers completely and took me more than two years to get back to any HiFi dealer. Luckily that was one of the nut case, and now I have three very nice dealers depending on the brand that I purchase and all of them offered exceptional service. Also, I I buy mostly through distance selling policy and ensure that there is a 14 day no questions asked refund policy in place though never used it till date.

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
As a manufacturer and retailer we do understand why people opt to buy goods second hand. In many repsects its great to see what you have made being put to good use. Obvioulsy you don't get the same service but a lot of retailers and manufacturers will offer free advice any way.

For me what is most important is that you are being blown away by my products and you recommend them to others.

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Is It pretty risky buying second hand?

I mean even if you heard the speakers , could there be something wrong with them that is not evident?

Or do they pretty much work or not?

Cheers

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
It's a very difficult dilemma morally ..... second hand, keep the used market more liquid and enable the previous owner to buy something else (probably new if he's selling what I believe to be relatively new speakers).

You now have $1000.

Keep 50% as your own personal warrently protection (do this for other goods in addition and don't buy warrenty - it's never worth it or private companies wouldn't make money out of it).

You have $500. Donate it to charity/invest in a company.

Alternately pay the extra $1000, have security, feel good about helping someone who directly helped you.

Aggregate good would probably be better if you donated $500 to a third world school for educational suplies/teachers wages etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts