What would be the logical component change / upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Just got into Hi-Fi Audio recently and although my set-up is helping the music sound infinitely better than before (computer speakers) it's not achieving the clarity that I thought I would hear. Somehow I'm detecting lows which are overwhelming the mids/highs (at least to my embarassingly novice ears). Would really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on possible improvements / upgrades that could be made for an immediate impact (1 component at a time since money is certainly an issue). My setup is as follows (might seem like there isn't real direction or thought put into the set-up but there was some thought):

Moon-SD1 CD player -> Siltech 330 interconnects -> Exposure 3010S integrated amp -> Chord Odyssey speaker cables -> B&W CM7 speakers

What should be the first to get changed?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Tricky one as you have nice components. However, I've always found B&W speakers to be bass heavy to the detriment of some upper range. Your best bet would be to ask a friendly dealer and do an audition with your own kit at the shop, changing one component at a time.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chifei:
Hi All,

Just got into Hi-Fi Audio recently and although my set-up is helping the music sound infinitely better than before (computer speakers) it's not achieving the clarity that I thought I would hear. Somehow I'm detecting lows which are overwhelming the mids/highs (at least to my embarassingly novice ears). Would really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on possible improvements / upgrades that could be made for an immediate impact (1 component at a time since money is certainly an issue). My setup is as follows (might seem like there isn't real direction or thought put into the set-up but there was some thought):

Moon-SD1 CD player -> Siltech 330 interconnects -> Exposure 3010S integrated amp -> Chord Odyssey speaker cables -> B&W CM7 speakers

What should be the first to get changed?

Wow computer speakers to your current set up and you are still not happy! You will definitely need to do some demoing.

A

Anonymous

Thanks so far, unfortunately demoing might be a big challenge where I am (in Asia) so I guess I'm looking for suggestions/advice/comments on the setup on any parts that somehow do not seem to make sense?

Well it's quite a big investment so I guess I was expecting quite a bit?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
chifei:Any thoughts from anyone? Much appreciated!

You have a collection of good components, so it's pretty hard to tell you what is the 'weak' link in your setup.... If I had to guess, I'd pick the Exposure as the component to replace (based solely on reviews - it certainly hasn't received bad reviews, just no really over the top enthusiastic ones...) That said, the other option would be the B&Ws, since IMO, Speakers tend to make the most difference in whether you like the overall sound of a system.... It doesn't matter how great your source is, the wrong brand of speakers will kill all the enjoyment (note I said Brand and not Price, since I don't believe there is a magic ratio of how much you should spend on Speaker vs Source vs amp vs cables)

A

Anonymous

Actually, before you think of changing anything, why not try re-positioning your speakers, as that can make a huge difference. How big is your room?

A

Anonymous

My room isn't huge, 9' x 11'. the speakers are about 6' apart

ÿ

I'm thinking it might be the Exposure as well but again, the speakers would also make a huge difference I guessÿ

T

the record spot

Not having had any experience with this level of kit, I'd suggest you consider what kind of sound you want against the characteristics of the kit you have; this includes the interconnects and cables too. Will you get nearer to your preferred sound by changing an interconnect or speaker wire instead of getting onto wholesale component changes?

Sign up to a few more sites: HiFiCritic has a lot of guys who know their high end gear and also the Steve Hoffman forum, which has a Hardware sub-forum and a LOT of guys who own some serious equipment (no disrespect to Andrew, Clare, and Andy, et al on here, but a few more opinions won't hurt).

A

Anonymous

I agree with other posts that speakers have the greatest effect on the type of sound you'll get and speaker placement can seriously effect the way the speakers breath. Try to keep them clear of the walls and on good stands.

If the overall sound is no what you are after, then trying interconnect cable changes wont change the 'character' that much.

Having said that you could always try a simple speaker cable change, by using solid mains cable or stranded cable to see if this alters anything in a positive way to your ears. Remember even mains copper cable is 99.8% pure copper

A

Anonymous

That's a good thought. Might be worth trying standmounts instead of the CM7s. As a general rule they produce less bass. I've heard the CM1s in a room roughly the size of yours, and thought them pretty good.

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:Actually, before you think of changing anything, why not try re-positioning your speakers, as that can make a huge difference. How big is your room?

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. You do have some great gear; positioning could well make a dramatic difference. I would be tempted to play with positioning of the speakers before purchasing new equipment. It also wouldn't hurt to double check all the cables - and don't forget to check the phase of the speaker connections.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all, I guess the consensus is to play with the speaker positions for now.

ÿ

Sorry, how do I check the phase of the speaker connections?ÿ

A

Anonymous

if you're still having trouble with getting your system to sound right I'll swap you with my Marantz 6002s and BW602.3s
emotion-5.gif

black on lack, red on red

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts