What would be the better/most cost effective upgrade?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Would like a tad more detail from my Arcam CD82. The two easiests with regards to upgrade are:

1. Buy a CD192 instead, or even a new CD37.

2. Keep the CD82 and buy a Dacmagic.

My current thoughts are that I dont know how the DacMagic would give me more than I already have - would I hear a marked difference by connecting the CD82 in to the Dacmagic? However, the Dacmagic would allow me to explore the itunes/digital music option also.

The CD192 would probably be about twice the price of the Dacmagic on ebay, and therefore a more costly yet possibly better option for CD playback?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
If you after more detail, I would be looking at new amp or speakers as digital playback at this price point are similarly capable of distracting details from CD. I am not saying all CDP sound the same but the money spend on either amp or speakers will give you much more obvious improvement on details.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, thanks Thaiman. I wont be changing anything at that level any time soon! I thought the rule was generally to spend the most on the CD player (and therefore get as high quality as possible). I may look at a Dacmagic anyway, as would like to look in to the virtues of digital music/iTunes/Mac mini.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I would certainly say purchasing a standalone DAC is the way forward. It will open up new sources for you. As TM has stated you would probably be looking at speakers and amp changes to really change the sound and the incurred expense.

Please also bear in mind possibly the Beresford Caiman, I used to run my PC into it via USB and the sound quality to my ears was a lot better than many dedicated CDP's up to around the £600-£800 mark.

Yes you are correct in the "source first" approach to upgrading, however this months "big question" possibly knocks that on the head.

If a DAC and computer based music will get you listening to more, surely that is what it is all about, enjoy
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The CD192 is more forward in it's presentation so it should at least give the impression of more detail if nothing else.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
My mate and I did some comparisons with my DacMagic and his CD192 a while back and the upshot of that is that I think that DAC in the DAC Magic is very much on a par with that in the CD192 - there was very little to choose between them.

So the most cost effective option and best for future flexibility would be to buy a DacMagic.

I also used to have a CD37 and it's a wonderful player. I sold this and moved to a computer-based set-up feeding lossless files to the DacMagic - these were a bit different in character (DacMagic leaner more detailed and more neutral; CD37 tonally richer without being too warm and wonderful bass) but more or less on a par. The convenience swung it in favour of the computer/DAC option.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Dan Turner:
My mate and I did some comparisons with my DacMagic and his CD192 a while back and the upshot of that is that I think that DAC in the DAC Magic is very much on a par with that in the CD192 - there was very little to choose between them.

So the most cost effective option and best for future flexibility would be to buy a DacMagic.

I also used to have a CD37 and it's a wonderful player. I sold this and moved to a computer-based set-up feeding lossless files to the DacMagic - these were a bit different in character (DacMagic leaner more detailed and more neutral; CD37 tonally richer without being too warm and wonderful bass) but more or less on a par. The convenience swung it in favour of the computer/DAC option.

Thanks Dan - a really useful post. I think I may look at Dacmagic anyway, due to the Mac mini scenario (ive just downloaded the iPod remote app and it works very well). So if I get a boost in CD playback too then thats great.

Ive just searched on the DAC and it seems that the chips are the same in both Dacmagic and the CD192.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:The CD192 is more forward in it's presentation so it should at least give the impression of more detail if nothing else.

Tnanks IB - a good point. Certainly it did well in its reviews.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
JamesOK:Dan Turner:

Thanks Dan - a really useful post. I think I may look at Dacmagic anyway, due to the Mac mini scenario (ive just downloaded the iPod remote app and it works very well). So if I get a boost in CD playback too then thats great.

Ive just searched on the DAC and it seems that the chips are the same in both Dacmagic and the CD192.

I didn't know that! And actually both the DacMagic and the CD192 upsample the digital data to 24bit/192khz, so thinking about it I guess it's no surprise they sound very similar.

Good luck with your upgrade - you really can't go wrong with the DacMagic IMO.

T

the record spot

If you were going to go down the offboard DAC route, I'd look at two options: going for a higher quality model in the secondhand realm (Emporium Hi Fi, who run an Ebay shop, have an Audio Note DAC for £350 - might be worth checking that out), or saving up a little more and going for a current higher quality DAC, kind of thinking the Stello DA100 at around £650.

I think you'd get more bang for your bucks that way, than the DACMagic, good though it is, will be more sideways than forward move.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:If you were going to go down the offboard DAC route, I'd look at two options: going for a higher quality model in the secondhand realm (Emporium Hi Fi, who run an Ebay shop, have an Audio Note DAC for £350 - might be worth checking that out), or saving up a little more and going for a current higher quality DAC, kind of thinking the Stello DA100 at around £650.

I think you'd get more bang for your bucks that way, than the DACMagic, good though it is, will be more sideways than forward move.

Great - I'll have a look at those on eBay.

A

Anonymous

acoustic foam, i bought 8 acoustic foam tiles and 2 bass traps for £55, made all the difference to my sound, more detail and better bass, i didnt like the sound of my mezzo 2s before the foam....i also have some good stands to, super dreadnoughts i hink they are called, i didnt like them too but the foam makes all the difference.

tepehn

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
stephenmacks:
acoustic foam, i bought 8 acoustic foam tiles and 2 bass traps for £55, made all the difference to my sound, more detail and better bass, i didnt like the sound of my mezzo 2s before the foam....i also have some good stands to, super dreadnoughts i hink they are called, i didnt like them too but the foam makes all the difference.

tepehn

Thats an interesting idea - is that the stuff you stick on the wall behind the speakers?

A

Anonymous

I BOUGHT some blank canvas frames and used double sided tape to mount the foam and just hung the frame on the wall, i have them behind the speakers and behind me where i listen, i dont know if that is ideal but it seems to work a treat, the bass traps i just put on 2 corners. i hear more of the speakers and less reflected sound. i will try and put up some photos if i can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts