What was the first hi-fi separates you brought with your own money?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Can you remember the first hi-fi separates you brought with your own money? I can, it was a second hand Yamaha A-320 from the mid 80's I brought second hand from a charity shop in 2000 for 60 quid when I was 16 years old. It was my first stereo amplifier and set my on my hi-fi separates journey. I still own it and but I've not used it since 2004 or 2005.

Attachments

• yamaha_a320_front.jpg
    yamaha_a320_front.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Symples

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Can you remember the first hi-fi separates you brought with your own money? I can, it was a second hand Yamaha A-320 from the mid 80's I brought second hand from a charity shop in 2000 for 60 quid when I was 16 years old. It was my first stereo amplifier and set my on my hi-fi separates journey. I still own it and but I've not used it since 2004 or 2005.
Goodmans One Ten amplifier, Aiwa cassette deck, BSR Quanta 700 record deck and Wharfedale Teesdale SP2 speakers. I then added a Technics SLP222 cd player. In some respects I enjoyed that system more than the one I currently own.

Samd

I posted mine here in another thread a few days ago - I went down to the local NAAFI shop in Fallingbostel in the 70s and bought just about one of everything Pioneer had on display.

RT 909 Open Reel,
CT F1250 Cassette Recorder,
PL L1000 Tangential Arm,
SA 9900 Int Amp
The obligatory graphic eq

Reactions: Symples

Gray

I posted mine here in another thread a few days ago - I went down to the local NAAFI shop in Fallingbostel in the 70s and bought just about one of everything Pioneer had on display.

RT 909 Open Reel,
PL L1000 Tangential Arm,
SA 9900 Int Amp
That was an unusually upmarket selection for a first purchase Sam.
You must have been well happy with that lot.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site

RT 909 Open Reel,
PL L1000 Tangential Arm,
SA 9900 Int Amp

I'm looking for a reel to reel and the RT909 is on my list :)

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Mine was a "Studio Standard" Stereo System by Fisher, bought from a shop on the Gloucester Road in Bristol in 1985. Sounded blooody awful when I got it home and listened to my music on it. In the shop the guy demo'd it by playing Sade's Diamond Life LP which would sound great even on a Dixon's Matsui plastic turntable.
It had a turntable, amp, graphic equaliser adn twin tape decks. The sliding volume control constantly crackled and cut out one channel after a while. I was 16.

D

Deleted member 201267

Sony 930 CD player, Sony 930 Amplifier, B&W 601 S2 loudspeakers.

Purchased in that order circa 1999 / 2000 as funds allowed.

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Mission 701's with a pioneer vsx 808 and a pioneer mini disc player, already had a stable platter cd player that was later "upgraded" to a NAD c540 which i still have.

Saved long and hard for it with my first job at Debenhams. Around the year 2000. I bought a lot of hifi in those 3 years before uni. Lots of over time! they were still doing late-night blue cross sales then. You could earn nearly a grand doing 3 12hr days back to back and time and half added. that could buy you a lot of hifi back then.

Ended up with a Marantz pm7200 (the amp with a class A switch) and a pair of m74i's and a pioneer DVD player for CD duties. Man, that was a part system at uni! Im surprised it came out unscathed but it did and i still have the amp today. the NAD stayed at home during this time.

robdmarsh

Mine was a Pioneer SA608 amplifier in 1979 or '80
Followed 3 months later with a Kef Celeste III speakers.
Like 12th Monkey. I blew my tweeters twice!

View attachment 4240View attachment 4241
Looks very nice. I had some QED bookshelf speakers I bought in about 86 and a Rotel belt-drive turntable. The speakers were very plain in a wood veneered cabinet and looked like DIY speakers. They sounded good though and according to my audiophile friend were better than the Mordaunt Short speakers I had my eye on. These were added to an Aiwa all in one music system, which was given to me on my birthday, and was definitely not up to scratch with the TT and and speakers.

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Interesting thread. My first system was a Dynatron. It consisted of a Lenco turntable and Dynatron amp built side by side in one box with a clear plastic lid. And a pair of Dynatron speakers. I thought it was wonderful! I added a standalone FM tuner by Eagle.

The first fully separates system I bought was a Dual 701 direct drive turntable with Dual arm fitted with a Shure V15 III cartridge. A Sugden A48 mark 2 amplifier. Leak 3020 speakers. I thought it sounded absolutely fantastic!

After that it was the classic Linn/Grace/Supex etc..... Which really WAS amazing.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts