What was better?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Although I know quite a bit about the japanease vintage exotica, I'm not so informed on the vintage British/American side.

Out of the following, which is the better choice:

The A&R Cambridge (Arcam) A60
The Quad 33/303
The Quad 33/405
NAD 3020?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
The Quad 33/405 was the first real amp I heard, and what made me get rid of my Ferguson music centre at the age of 14. I could only dream of such exoyica at the time. I'm quessing around £700 in 1983. The A60 was the mid price bargain of the day at £220. I now own one and it's still great. The NAD was one of the top budget amps back in 83/84 at about the £100 mark. The Rotel RA820 made big dents in it's sales from what I recall.

A

Anonymous

Okay, thanks Mr.E and up the music! I'm going to look into the Quad 33/405, possibly with an FM3 or FM4. Any ideas what would be some suitable speakers to go with them? The Missions we're currently using downstairs are a little lacking...oh, and what sort of price would a mint condition 33/405 pair fetch?

A

Anonymous

The Quads..... no argument there.

One of the interesting theories that I have (actually anyone who has a life might not be interested in this at all....) is that the Arcam beats the bejesus out of the NAD.... but everyone actually could afford the NAD so nostalgia keeps the price of those units (on the secondhand market) quite high..... I am thinking that, surely, the Arcam is the better product, for the same price.....

The reason this remains a 'theory' is that I have not got a hold of an Arcam A60 yet.... the reason being that to run an Arcam would require a full cable re-fit as they use the 5 din pin system...... one day, though, when I can afford the cables with a laugh, I shall get the A60 and compare them.............

A

Anonymous

ElectroMan:Quad electrostatics would be nice!

I wish! Anyway, it's only used for Radio 4, Radio 2 and some music off the pc via Airport Express and a DAC Magic.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Sticking with the vintage theme LS3-5a. Made by a few companies. An old classic. Celsetion sl600.

Other amps that were hi end in their day. Old Naims with the coffee jar lid knobs. You'll know the ones when you see them. Did a great FM tuner. Some would sday the best.

T

the record spot

Quad electrostatics start from £900 in some dealers, plus One Thing Audio and Quad themselves do a full servicing to bring them up to top condition. This applies even to the earliest models.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Quad electrostatics start from £900 in some dealers, plus One Thing Audio and Quad themselves do a full servicing to bring them up to top condition. This applies even to the earliest models.

I havn't got anywhere near that much to spend! I'm looking at under £100 to be honest - it seems that the Wharfedale Es would be perfect for the task in hand, but do I really need the "current-dumping" of the Quads for them considering their 94db sensitivity?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I had a used 33/303 combo in near mint condition back around 1987 but got tired about the moans regarding the looks (well they were spectacularly ugly) and ended up buying a QED A240-SA instead and selling the 33/303 for about £170 to some old boy who came round to collect them on his bicycle.

He cheerfully 'bungeed' them onto his pannier holder and cycled off with them 'au naturel' (the amps, not him thank goodness!). I had no boxes for them and he did not mind. First and last time I have ever seen a cyclist with a classic Quad amp setup strapped on the back of the bike.

Years before I had two NAD 3020's in succession. The original 3020 in 1979 and a NAD 3020b some time later around 1982.

They made excellent sounds especially with AR18s and Mordaunt Short Carnivals.

A

Anonymous

Well, I think I'm going to have to give the Quads a miss as they are too expensive for me. I think the A&R A60 is just right for me!

Another quick question: Could one, in theory, run two sets of 8ohm speakers from one terminal? I'm sure many of you are cringing, but is this possible if they are both 8ohms and the amp will accept 4ohm speakers?

A

Anonymous

chebby:I had no boxes for them and he did not mind. First and last time I have ever seen a cyclist with a classic Quad amp setup strapped on the back of the bike.

Wow, that takes some guts!

T

the record spot

Hughes123:

I havn't got anywhere near that much to spend! I'm looking at under £100 to be honest - it seems that the Wharfedale Es would be perfect for the task in hand, but do I really need the "current-dumping" of the Quads for them considering their 94db sensitivity?

In fairness H, they go for a danm sight more usually - £1500 seems to be a good benchmark for a serviced pair. The £900 set I know of is at a dealer's in Edinburgh.

A

Anonymous

Just bought myself an A&R A60! Can't wait to hear it!
emotion-4.gif

Now, for the speakers - Wharfedale E20s most likely and for the tuner, the matching A&R T21?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
You'll need 5 pin DIN adapters. Get back to the seller. If they have any, they probably have no use for them so should throw them in. Not powerful but a slightly warm natural sound.

A

Anonymous

up the music:Big room sorry....lol.

Well, actually no - it's for an open plan living room/dining room which isn't hugely big by any means. Why d'ya ask?

A

Anonymous

up the music:You'll need 5 pin DIN adapters. Get back to the seller. If they have any, they probably have no use for them so should throw them in. Not powerful but a slightly warm natural sound.

Are they the 180' ones? If so, that's fine because I have some.

A

Anonymous

Shame about the Quads there Hughes. I think they'd have suited you down to the ground. Fairly good sound in standard state but ridiculously good if upgraded. You can buy mono PSU and/or new boards for little(ish) money and fit them yourself. You'd not change your amp for a very long time if you did that!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I still have an original A60 which I recently retrieved from a relative's loft. It is now in my daughter's bedroom (she blew a mission cyrus 2 recently - shorted the speaker terminals - might be too expensive to fix).

Later A60s did away with the 5pin din and speaker 2 pin din speaker connections. A lovely, warm, euphonic sound awaits you!

I remember taking it round to a mates house (many years ago) and swapped it round his jap amp and wharfedale E50s. The difference was more than night and day. Chalk and cheese etc.

I turned and smiled at him. His wife was amazed at the difference. "I don't like it" he said,"there's too much ambience".!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tales from the crypt!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if they're 180 degree. They're like those in this link. Though you'll want phono plugs at other end

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-pin-DIN-to-3-5mm-Stereo-JACK-IPOD-to-QUAD-NAIM-A-R_W0QQitemZ120311276096QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item120311276096&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

The cables for my A60 also fit my Naim 62/140. If you have a turntable the earth is wired through the din via an odd cable if I remember rightly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts