What video formats will the X-Box play?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Not sure of this is the right discussion, but it seemed the most relevant. I’m about to receive an X-box 360, and I’m wondering what video formats it will play, and what the quality will be like through an HDMI lead on my LVD TV. I have an Archos AV500 full of AVI files (Xvid and Dvix). And a few WMV.

And can I watch youtube, google video etc? I’ve heard of Tversity, is it safe for the Xbox?

thanks

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
previously i m thinking of storing my mp3 and video into xbox harddisk, but no luck, seems its almost impossible to do it.. and even if u use external HDD, it doesn't play any video files... the best is to pop in your original cd or dvd, that will have no problem.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
bluelouboyle:
Hi,

Not sure of this is the right discussion, but it seemed the most relevant. I'm about to receive an X-box 360, and I'm wondering what video formats it will play, and what the quality will be like through an HDMI lead on my LVD TV. I have an Archos AV500 full of AVI files (Xvid and Dvix). And a few WMV.

And can I watch youtube, google video etc? I've heard of Tversity, is it safe for the Xbox?

thanks

I was going to suggest TVersity as I am unsure what formats you can use - although I would guess its wmv as tied to windows. I used to use Tversity, it allows you to stream video from your PC. Very good, and free too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I did another search and it seems there was an update in autumn 2007 which allowed the Xbox to support .avi files - xvid and dvix encoded. And people seem to be able to plug in a USB flash drive to their Xbox and play the .avi files.

So I should be ok. We'll see...

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
uniquexme:and even if u use external HDD, it doesn't play any video files

Does it not?! Can anyone else confirm this?? I was seriously considering buying the new slim 360 to access video files on my NAS and watch without stutter (the PS3 has a wimpy G-speed wireless card)... you may have just saved me from a disappointing purchase!

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
bluelouboyle:
Thanks. I did another search and it seems there was an update in autumn 2007 which allowed the Xbox to support .avi files - xvid and dvix encoded. And people seem to be able to plug in a USB flash drive to their Xbox and play the .avi files.

So I should be ok. We'll see...

ahhhh... anyone know if it plays M4V?

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
SnowyJohn:
uniquexme:and even if u use external HDD, it doesn't play any video files

Does it not?! Can anyone else confirm this?? I was seriously considering buying the new slim 360 to access video files on my NAS and watch without stutter (the PS3 has a wimpy G-speed wireless card)... you may have just saved me from a disappointing purchase!

Maybe uniquemx is talking about the original xbox, but with the 360 you can definitely play MP3's and watch divx/xvid movies via an external HDD; wmv's are supported as well. The only caveat is that the HDD must be formatted as FAT32; it doesn't support NTFS formatted drives. I did this for quite some time before running everything through my LG BD-390, as that supports mkv's as well which the 360 doesn't.

I haven't had any experience of connecting a 360 wirelessly to a NAS, so couldn't comment on that.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It also plays mp4 files on disc or an external hard drive

Most NAS drives will say if its xbox compatible so look out for that when buying

A

Anonymous

Xbox will play back SOME divx files - however not all and is not divx certified so wont support divx vod.

However it is compatible with most MPEG-4 ASP codecs.

You really need to use a transcoder like Tversity if u want your xbox to play the majority of formats out there.

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
hmm. mine is xbox360... i have tried to play movie via usb hdd, somehow it keeps popping msg that its unable to play no matter what format it is, including wmv.. i googled, but no much info.. so i give up.. but how do u guys did it?

i think got to do system update but i m afraid to do it as i afraid it will remove the ability to play backups.

TRENDING THREADS