What to upgrade next for 400?

sashavlad

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello to all!

My first time here. I have read loads but never asked a question, so here goes.

I went from PC based sound and Creative T20 6 months ago to the hifi I have now. It all started with a Nad 3220PE.........! My hifi is as my signature below. Overall I am very pleased with the sound, but I would like to hear something different.

Dynamics, timing and mid is just right, but I'm looking for a more airy and spacious top end. I also have 400 quid to chase that dream! So I ask you which component I should upgrade with that budget. I've heard speakers are the most noticable upgrade, true? Maybe the old class AA amp should go? Or the 20bit dac cd player?

Any advice from learned folks like yourselves will be most appreciated!

Sasha

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Sasha,

In all honesty," Chaising the dream " you might never get there. Often these starter systems give you all you'll ever need. I like the look of your system. Don't worrk about the old Bomb proof class AA technics, it'll do just fine.

I would spend the money on a cracking chair, or on music or maybe some new lighting to enhance your listening experience.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
sashavlad said:
Dynamics, timing and mid is just right, but I'm looking for a more airy and spacious top end. I also have 400 quid to chase that dream! So I ask you which component I should upgrade with that budget. I've heard speakers are the most noticable upgrade, true?

Hi, In your case my recommendation would be speaker upgrade. Your amp is totally fine. Consider the makes from Tannoy (DC6 or DC4) or KEF (R100). I like these makes for their tweeter-in-midrange technology. This works! Stay away from B&W (especially CM series and 6 series standmounts) as IMO their real goodness starts only from 800 series.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Quoting your own words back at you in your review of the A26 speakers, you said ... "They are now used with the Technics which has very clear and straight-cut tones with surprising spaciousness."

So what has changed? Most of the A26 reviews say they are polite and refined tonaly which might contradict with the spaciousness you crave. Perhaps you have just got used to the sound of your system and are looking for something different? Maybe time to try some higher sensitivity floorstanders or brighter electronics ... what about a used Cyrus 6 XP amp? Your avatar suggests you are a bit tight for space ;-) .. so perhaps some brighter sounding bookshelf speakers .. have a look at the Triangle Colors.

sashavlad

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all who replied!

Ok, one by one..

@moon - I agree with keeping the Technics amp - I have not reached its limits yet and I think it will take some good partnering kit to show the Technics up weak. Defo spend some money on more music! Can't get enough!

@WishTree - I know you need good kit to make B&W shine, I had some KEF IQ30's in mind and I must listen to the new Tannoy DC's. I love the idea of concentrics!

@tino - What's changed? I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one. I have got used to the sound and would like to explore. The A26's are very good, but I would like to try something else. I know that my setup is not ideal - rear firing reflex into Ikea bookshelf! Have also takes this factor into account and recently had my speakers on proper stands - what a revelation! This setup is temporary and will change in 2 months. Would quite like a newer cd player...

Thanks again to all for your informative and quick replies.

The Technics has a Power Amp Direct input (106dB SNR over 97dB Phono and this makes a big difference with the cd player. I would like to try both a newer cd player and some finer speakers, speakers first though. Any more educated guesses?

Regards,

Sasha

sashavlad

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Just saw a mint Arcam A85 go for 256 on eBay. Droool ! Would I keep something like that for longer in my system than the Technics?

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I think a change of amp would give you the biggest boost. You have a decent CD player and better speakers will just show the weaknesses in your amp.

Something like the Cyrus suggested will give you greater clariy and drive, as well as that magic musical sound...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts