What to upgrade for warmth, separation and bass?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I may have £2k for an upgrade. I enjoy my system but I would like to improve some areas and am at a loss whether to replace the amp or speakers, or even buy a new DAC. I listen to classical, rock, jazz, female vocals etc. I split my listening 50/50 between CD and FM.(Radio 3, good roof ariel). ALthough both sources are MF they have different charateristics. CD is punchy and very detailed but rather clinical ( a bit like an over sharpened photo?). FM is more natural but maybe not punchy enough and a little vailed (tuner has a tube output stage and option for upsampled digital out from FM). A major limitation with both is lack of clarity when thinks get busy, instruments all merge into a mush during loud orchestral bits. Also I feel the speakers take away the warmth that should be provided by MF. Led Zepplin is not the same without more bass, but I'm looking for quality rather than quantity My thoughts are to upgrade either the amp (M6i or similar) or the speakers. In the (very) long term maybe both but neet greatest improvement in teh meantime. If going to speakers open to floor standers or stand mounts (I have good filed Foundation stands). Room is 4m x 3m, speakers 0.5m from rear and side walls, hevily furnished, carpet on wood suspended floor So: 1) bearing in mind existing kit would a £2k amp or speaker upgrade offer greatest improvemet? 2)any particualr suggestion for speaker shortlist? 2) would a good DAC improve on and unify CD and FM sound or just be a sideways change? Thanks for any comments

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I'd look at the speakers. Something like Sonus Faber, Harbeth, Vienna Acoustics or Epos would be my thinking. Amplifiers make less of a difference.

I agree that would also work, and I'd include Spendor and Kef R Series....the OP will need to experiment.

@ Kevin Stephens

IMO. If you skimp on the amp, the speakers won't reach their potential; though that's not saying there is anything wrong with your MF. Only you can decide where your money brings the biggest improvement.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I thought those MF amps were pretty decent, easily worth using with speakers like the ones mentioned. I think you'll be pushing to find an amp that can make cold-sounding speakers warm. Certainly would look at auditioning the speakers first with your amp.

If your local dealer won't do a home loan, then take your amp down to them and do some listening.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
This would do nicely for the amp;

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?72464-F-S-Electrocompaniet-ECI3&p=1462952#post1462952

Go lovely with the aforementioned speakers, or PMC.

Mac

At that price, the OP could get speakers as well and be in budget (eg. Kef LS50 / R300 / R500)......problem sorted. :shifty:

Agreed the ECI3 is a steal at that price and my instinct tells me that it would sound stunning with all of the KEF speakers mentioned especially the LS50's because it has very similar qualities , in fact I would imagine it would be the ideal amp for the LS50's .

The ECI 3 is a bargain even at the full retail price and is often found driving very exotic speakers that are many times the price of the amp itself so I would not hesitate :grin: .

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I'd look at the speakers. Something like Sonus Faber, Harbeth, Vienna Acoustics or Epos would be my thinking. Amplifiers make less of a difference.

I disagree with this...... speakers accomadate amps, the better an amp can control speakers the better they sound, even what are precieved as rubbish speakers can impress with the right amp driving them. Not so the other way round.

to the o/p

Its really hard to imagine the type of sound a person is after, whenever I read the word 'clinical' in a post discribeing music, I take it to mean 'detail' were too much detail is presented to the listener when what is wanted is a more general sound and a narrower dynamic band ( upper to lower frequencies)

so now for the controversy, were I would start is your interconnects, not a great fan of Chord cables, try at least one cable, like QED perfomance 2 see how you get on with the sound.if the sound is still too clinical I will now quote Rick of Music Craft ( and it burns me to do so) 'downgrade' try cheapo interconnects which may round of the extreme frequencies.

If your sound still fails then change the amp 1st. but be carefull its a dangerous road filled with hidden danger, pitfalls and unsavory types.....

Agree with Al - MAs can sound a little cold, although not sure they would with your MFs. I'd look at Dynaudio - the ones I've heard have had a more balanced HF than MAs. However, by adding extra warmth you could lose some of the excitement your current set-up gives you.

Personally I think a little brightness gives a system vigour, as long as it isn't harsh sounding.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
so now for the controversy, were I would start is your interconnects if your using standard interconnects, try a single upgrade cable, like QED perfomance the 20pound one if you already have 'quality' interconnects ( and it burns me to say it) try simple cheapo ones, downgrade...yes, I'm passing on Rick of Music Crafts advise, and see how you get on with the sound.

If your sound still fails then change the amp 1st. but be carefull its a dangerous road filled with hidden danger, pitfalls and unsavory types.....

Thanks, I've already upgraded interconnects to Chord Chorus 2 which made a massive difference, and given their price I would expect them to be good for future amplifier upgrade.

I'm still in a quandry as to upgrade speakers or amp first, this comes down to how much enjoyment I'm going to get for the next couple of years until I can do the other half of the upgrade. would the GS10s substantially raise their game with a new amplifier, or are thay holding back the A3.5 amp which could sing with new speakers? As in OP main aim at present is to be more able to separate out instruments and get a little more warmth/emotion.

I'm tempted to try some ex demo PMC 22s on offer at my local dealer (although full price floor standers would give me more of the bass I seek)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kevin Stephens said:
I'm tempted to try some ex demo PMC 22s on offer at my local dealer (although full price floor standers would give me more of the bass I seek)

Good as they are, that would not be "upgrading for warmth".

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Kevin Stephens said:
Thompsonuxb said:
so now for the controversy, were I would start is your interconnects if your using standard interconnects, try a single upgrade cable, like QED perfomance the 20pound one if you already have 'quality' interconnects ( and it burns me to say it) try simple cheapo ones, downgrade...yes, I'm passing on Rick of Music Crafts advise, and see how you get on with the sound.

Thanks, I've already upgraded interconnects to Chord Chorus 2 which made a massive difference, and given their price I would expect them to be good for future amplifier upgrade.

I'm still in a quandry as to upgrade speakers or amp first, this comes down to how much enjoyment I'm going to get for the next couple of years until I can do the other half of the upgrade. would the GS10s substantially raise their game with a new amplifier, or are thay holding back the A3.5 amp which could sing with new speakers? As in OP main aim at present is to be more able to separate out instruments and get a little more warmth/emotion.

have you tried repositioning your speakers, moving them closer/further apart away from walls - those speakers you have are good and may benifit from a better amp - were as a better more 'revealing ' speaker may expose your amps shortfalls even more.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
A very good set of headphones, a sensible headphone amp and a spliff - not too strong - and your music will be better than you've ever heard it.:grin:

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If you prefer standmounts, then you should give these a listen: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5, Dynaudio Excite X12, Spendor SA1 and ProAc Response D2.

These speakers sound quite differently from eachother but should all give a more "balanced" (nautral to warm) sound than your current GS10

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks AL; very interesting read. The finding that

"..the A3.5 had no difficulty delivering tiny, subtle high-frequency embellishments from high pitched percussion (triangle) with perfect clarity, whilst at the sme time kettledrums were deliverng an accoustic storm against a background of double bass as in Mahler's 9th symphony....This ability not to muddy the waters was also obvious when I listened to the make chorus on John Rutters Requiem because I could here the voices as individuals as clearly as I could heat the whole without having to concentrate on it..."

Is at odds with what I find, and what I want to correct. Therefore the speakers would seem to be the culprit :clap:

My dealer stocks B&W Harbeth MA Neat PMC Proac ans Wilson Benesch so plent to choose from

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I wonder whether the speaker placement is anissue. 3x4 is not the biggest of rooms and though your MS speakers are compact I seem to remember they are rear ported. They may produce better bass if pulled further out into the room but as this probably is not viable foam bungs may work. Spendor SA1 or Audiosmile Kensai might better suit though both are at their best with a pretty powerful amp. The new Sonus Faber Vertere range looks interesting and i suspect the smaller Spendor floorstanders might be worth listening to too.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Kevin Stephens said:
Thompsonuxb said:

have you tried repositioning your speakers, moving them closer/further apart away from walls - those speakers you have are good and may benifit from a better amp - were as a better more 'revealing ' speaker may expose your amps shortfalls even more.

Assuming a reasonable set of gear (which you have), the room will have more effect on the listening experience than any other change you can make. I have a sub which (according to the spec) can produce 1KW continuous, 1.4KW peak - in a relatively small room. Even so, the bass was flabby and gutless. A course of room treatment, speaker repositioning and room equalisation, and exactly the same speaker set up is taught, and a good thump on a kick drum can now blow you off the sofa.

Lack of separation of instruments at higher listening levels could be the amplifier running out of headroom, but equally could be room induced effects.

Google room treatment and room equalisation for more info, there are a lot of good sites out there.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
AL's excellent review would definitely point you in the direction of speakers, provided the amp is not in the need of a service..............borrow some speakers and try them in situ.

The comments on room effects are very valid.........and suspended wooden floors are problematic (in case this is an issue), but can be greatly mitigated.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, thought that too re service, good point. Maybe easier if you take the amp down to the dealer, because then, if the amp proves to be fine, you can audition some speakers.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
With what you listen to and what you want, the biggest bang for your hard-earned will come from new speakers. Given your budget I wonder if you would have the courage to move off in a different direction. Namely active and AVI ADM 9RS/RSS.

I don't know what warmth means to you but if you want accurate, clear reproduction that can go really loud without ever getting congested or muddled then my EXPERIENCE is that the AVI ADM 9 series could be your next speaker. Bass in your size room should be plentiful and of the very best quality.

The speakers give 2 optical digital and 1 analogue inputs to remote controlled DAC, pre and power amps [matched to the drive units] and speakers. Plus power and interconnect cables for £1250 to £1400.

Many on here will fervently oppose such a move but, as many passive owners of expensive kit have found, they represent excellent sound quality and exceptional value for money. Audition is not so easy, depending where you are, as traditional kit but more than worth the effort.

Good luck.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with relocated. The AVI ADM9RSS are simply brilliant.

If keeping with a passive set up there is no way I'd change your amp. That's the amp I wanted to upgrade to before I went active. Dual mono, are there suitable MFMonoblocks you can add and then do some proper bi amping, with essentially 4 amplifiers. I think your GS10s will take on a new lease of life. Maybe think about adding a sub (the GS Sub ?) for that extra bit of LF.

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Kevin Stephens said:
I may have £2k for an upgrade. I enjoy my system but I would like to improve some areas and am at a loss whether to replace the amp or speakers, or even buy a new DAC. I listen to classical, rock, jazz, female vocals etc. I split my listening 50/50 between CD and FM.(Radio 3, good roof ariel). ALthough both sources are MF they have different charateristics. CD is punchy and very detailed but rather clinical ( a bit like an over sharpened photo?). FM is more natural but maybe not punchy enough and a little vailed (tuner has a tube output stage and option for upsampled digital out from FM). A major limitation with both is lack of clarity when thinks get busy, instruments all merge into a mush during loud orchestral bits. Also I feel the speakers take away the warmth that should be provided by MF. Led Zepplin is not the same without more bass, but I'm looking for quality rather than quantity My thoughts are to upgrade either the amp (M6i or similar) or the speakers. In the (very) long term maybe both but neet greatest improvement in teh meantime. If going to speakers open to floor standers or stand mounts (I have good filed Foundation stands). Room is 4m x 3m, speakers 0.5m from rear and side walls, hevily furnished, carpet on wood suspended floor So: 1) bearing in mind existing kit would a £2k amp or speaker upgrade offer greatest improvemet? 2)any particualr suggestion for speaker shortlist? 2) would a good DAC improve on and unify CD and FM sound or just be a sideways change? Thanks for any comments

Speakers every time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts