what to upgrade first ? need help !

andreih8017

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

My current setup is marantz PM6010 Ki Signature amplifier, wharfedale diamond 10.4 speakers, and a Dual CS 505-3 turntable with Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge; for digital music, i use a laptop and a HRC Music Streamer II DAC with asynchronous USB.

I want to upgrade the system, and my budget is 700-1000 EUR; I'm interested in buying used equipment, and i found the following in my area:

- a Clearaudio Concept turntable for 700 EUR (without a cartridge, so i would be using the ortofon 2M blue)

- a Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier for 700 EUR

I am aware that if i upgrade the system with any of these parts, there would be an unbalance between the components quality, but i have to start somewhere :grin: i plan to upgrade all of the components, but i won't have all the money any time soon...

In conclusion, of these 2 items, what should i buy first ? I was thinking of the TT, as it is a great bargain, and the chances are slim that i will ecounter such an offer again...

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion may well not be what you're expecting. If I were you and in the mood for improvements I would firstly change speakers. Not saying that your wharfedales are bad ones, but I think you get more if you go for a better set of speakers within your price range (possibly B&M, MA). I very much like Clearaudio, but I believe you won't do it justice inserting it into your current set-up, therefore you'll get only partial improvements in sound quality.

+1 for the turntable. That is a very good price and they don't appear very often.

I guess really it depends on what you mainly use as a source.

The Roksan amps are quite commonly available at that price so should be readily available in the future.

dragon76's views on the speakers is an interesting point but I would still second CnoEvil's suggestion.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
+1 for the turntable. That is a very good price and they don't appear very often.

The Roksan amps are quite commonly available at that price so should be readily available in the future.

dragon76's views on the speakers is an interesting point but I would still second CnoEvil's suggestion.

Is it a second hand right? Cz I can get here in Belgium a new one with MM cartridge for 1000 euro.

acalex said:
Alears said:

Is it a second hand right? Cz I can get here in Belgium a new one with MM cartridge for 1000 euro.

The OP does not state whether it is second-hand or new. Iwas assuming it to be second-hand as it does not have a cartridge fitted.

Apart from that I stick with what I said in that you do not see them on the marked very often for that price.

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Another take on things: get the thing that LEAST NEEDS UPGRADING (I'm not talking interconnects or speaker cable obviously!). That way, you will KNOW the new unit is DEFINITELY NOT the bottleneck, and won't be for some considerable time; then you will be forced to upgrade the other components to make the best of your lovely new component, and you will end up with a system you're really proud of! If you always just push the component currently in last place up to first place, you will continually just be nudging yourself forward all the time and never properly satisfied. So I would say, go for the amp. get a really good one. Then you'll be justified in getting a really good turntable! (But at that point, get the speakers, THEN get the turntable)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
andreih8017 said:
The Clearaudio TT is second-hand, and the roksan amp is new;

If you want to get a brand new Concept with cartrdige just let me know. I am not trying to sell anything here, just will put you in touch with my dealer :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
acalex said:
Alears said:

The OP does not state whether it is second-hand or new. Iwas assuming it to be second-hand as it does not have a cartridge fitted.

Apart from that I stick with what I said in that you do not see them on the marked very often for that price.

Very true. I confirm the Clearaudio TT Concept is a giant-killer. For the price is a great piece of kit. I would have taken that one myself if my delaer did not offer me a great deal on a brand new Clearaudio Performance SE.

I would also go for the source first...

andreih8017

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your replies :)

One more question: is the Concept really a big step up from the Dual i currently own ? And what's your opinion about using the Ortofon 2M Blue with the Concept ?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
andreih8017 said:
Thank you for your replies :)

One more question: is the Concept really a big step up from the Dual i currently own ? And what's your opinion about using the Ortofon 2M Blue with the Concept ?

I would use their own cartridges but can't comment on the Ortofon...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts